moles digging wells, thats a new one on me, ffs

Unless I have missed something i don't see any post that state moles dig wells? The concensus of opinion seems to be that moles like to inhabit areas that are more moist in periods of drought..........commom knowledge i would have thought.....!

Someone mentioned that moles dig down to the water table to drink, and I think that's what Moley was talking about. I don't buy that either.

Nor me.

I have seen 'vertical' runs, but I always assumed they were either a way of getting to a lower set of runs, or somewhere to store half eaten worms. I can't see water being that important to an animal that eats worms which are mostly water.

Someone mentioned that moles dig down to the water table to drink, and I think that's what Moley was talking about. I don't buy that either.

Nor me.

I have seen 'vertical' runs, but I always assumed they were either a way of getting to a lower set of runs, or somewhere to store half eaten worms. I can't see water being that important to an animal that eats worms which are mostly water.

Nor Me.............must have missed that one then about wells...........As you rightly say Matt moles obtain a lot of moisture from the worms they eat..........but they will move to wetter areas in periods of drought as this is where the worms will be most active...!

ATB Rolfe

Over the last say 3 years, i have been getting quite a few double catches from areas that normally holds 1 mole. But most times its on boundary hedges/fences where i can only treat 1 side and not the other.

On treating domestic lawns that edge onto farmland this happens a lot, all year round. Strategies of trapping and telling the customer " there's only 1 mole per certain territory " is gone by the way i think ? Usually any domestic lawns i get with mole activity is where the customer waters the lawns regular, which in such bring the worms brings Mr Mole to

Bry

In periods of very heavy/extreme rain fall, ive gotten call to control the moles in gardens where they have never had a problem - uphill.

On land that has even sometimes a slight incline then often the moles head downhill - where the moisture is heading and the worms are easier gotten.

Agree with the fence line collecting dew making for a slightly damper area, which often are runs right near to the surface which supports my theory that in drier conditions the worms are deeper, which makes the moles work harder, hence why they head downhill... Common sense(?) & experience(?)...

Unless I have missed something i don't see any post that state moles dig wells? The concensus of opinion seems to be that moles like to inhabit areas that are more moist in periods of drought..........commom knowledge i would have thought.....!

a well round here , is something that is dug down to the water table to provide water,

i,m well aware that moles inhabit damp areas of ground in dry weather as thats were the worms are, common knowledge i would have thought and worms are about 80% water, so does a mole need to drink everyday ? or is it more old wives tales that seem to rule the lives of some folk

I thought that moles squeezed the worms through their 'hands' so to speak so as to expell their stomach contents? If so, then most of the moisture would be squeezed out too. (Talking here from 40 years of teaching worms to swim at the end of a fishing line :laugh: ) On the pastures we have some runs that have single spurs going towards where a spring or underground stream is shown by a line of darker green grass. That seems to indicate a seperate run specifically for drinking.

its generally accepted that moles dont drink as all of there moisture content is obtained from the worms they eat, as already stated on this thread worms are 75 to 80% moisture (water) indeed they have adapteted to spend their life underground even to the point of only needing 6% oxygen to survive by having the highest white blood cell count of any mammal

a well round here , is something that is dug down to the water table to provide water,

i,m well aware that moles inhabit damp areas of ground in dry weather as thats were the worms are, common knowledge i would have thought and worms are about 80% water, so does a mole need to drink everyday ? or is it more old wives tales that seem to rule the lives of some folk

That last bit about " old wives tales ", i can relate to,because the amount of times ive been TOLD (usually by an old farmer,lol ) that the 'best' tunnel for catching moles,or the one to always look out for is the one that leads to water.For this is the easiest place to catch them!Ive been hearing that for years,and my usual response is " oh is that right ? is that what you reckon? " ( cause you CANT tell some of them anything !!!)

I thought that moles squeezed the worms through their 'hands' so to speak so as to expell their stomach contents? If so, then most of the moisture would be squeezed out too. (Talking here from 40 years of teaching worms to swim at the end of a fishing line :laugh: ) On the pastures we have some runs that have single spurs going towards where a spring or underground stream is shown by a line of darker green grass. That seems to indicate a seperate run specifically for drinking.

Its a good point that,your first question.I was thinking about this also.

its generally accepted that moles dont drink as all of there moisture content is obtained from the worms they eat, as already stated on this thread worms are 75 to 80% moisture (water) indeed they have adapteted to spend their life underground even to the point of only needing 6% oxygen to survive by having the highest white blood cell count of any mammal

I can recall on several occasions, taking a surprising number of moles, out of a single run leading to and from a water source. ( admittedly,usually in a prolonged dry spell)Whether they are 'exploiting' this damper area for food or water ( or both ! ), I wouldnt know for sure ? In light of all this i remain unconvinced ," that moles dont drink ".