simple and cheap !

Hello bribri.

Hmmm :hmm: No such thing as something for nothing, or something good and cheap in shooting.

50 to 150-quid is not very much with any hope of buying anything up to much. So, assuming you are an experienced and capable marksman, fit to hunt live animals, your best bet would be to look on the second hand/for sale sections on the web and look for a quality spring rifle that won't need a repair job. That'll get you started shooting well for not so much outlay.

£300+ will get you a very nice 2nd user Weihrauch HW77, HW95, HW97K or Weihrauch HW80 spring rifle. Or Air Arms TX200 or Air Arms Prosport. Or a good bet is to find an old but well-looked-after Webley or BSA air rifle made around 10 to 25 years ago. These two British makes built a range of superb air rifles that were absolutely lovely to shoot with and built to last.

They are owned by Johnnie Foreigner companies now and are nothing near as good as once they were.

AND in this price-band there could well be a decent quality scope included. :yes:

Those are among the very best rifles for hunting you can get and will last you a lifetime if looked after and thus, represent an excellent value bargain for your money.

The lower down the price scale you go, in the 150 down to 50-quid bracket, you start getting increasingly rough-handled, poorly maintained and rusty guns that have been abused and buggered-up by the unwashed who do not deserve such a fine gun. So these will either need refurbishing or avoiding like the plague. Don't despair though. Among the top quality end there's many a still-potent, still highly accurate rifle, still alive under the crud. Just need the right hands, a bit of skilful work and some TLC to bring them back to their previous performance.

GAMO, NORICA other Spanish makes of air rifle in poor nick, avoid at all costs. These were little other than something cheap and naff to plink with, when new to start with.

Best brand new, low cost air rifle I'm hearing a lot of is a HATSAN 60S. Break Barrel spring rifle. Some of the fellows here will tell you more of this gun than I know. That should be capable of accurately despatching rabbits at 30-35 yards but, beyond that, it starts to get questionable as the quality of this gun is not all it should be. But, that's why they cost about a hundred quid give or take.

Start with these suggestions.

Best wishes.

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 2

Hello bribri.

Hmmm :hmm: No such thing as something for nothing, or something good and cheap in shooting.

50 to 150-quid is not very much with any hope of buying anything up to much. So, assuming you are an experienced and capable marksman, fit to hunt live animals, your best bet would be to look on the second hand/for sale sections on the web and look for a quality spring rifle that won't need a repair job. That'll get you started shooting well for not so much outlay.

£300+ will get you a very nice 2nd user Weihrauch HW77, HW95, HW97K or Weihrauch HW80 spring rifle. Or Air Arms TX200 or Air Arms Prosport. Or a good bet is to find an old but well-looked-after Webley or BSA air rifle made around 10 to 25 years ago. These two British makes built a range of superb air rifles that were absolutely lovely to shoot with and built to last.

They are owned by Johnnie Foreigner companies now and are nothing near as good as once they were.

AND in this price-band there could well be a decent quality scope included. :yes:

Those are among the very best rifles for hunting you can get and will last you a lifetime if looked after and thus, represent an excellent value bargain for your money.

The lower down the price scale you go, in the 150 down to 50-quid bracket, you start getting increasingly rough-handled, poorly maintained and rusty guns that have been abused and buggered-up by the unwashed who do not deserve such a fine gun. So these will either need refurbishing or avoiding like the plague. Don't despair though. Among the top quality end there's many a still-potent, still highly accurate rifle, still alive under the crud. Just need the right hands, a bit of skilful work and some TLC to bring them back to their previous performance.

GAMO, NORICA other Spanish makes of air rifle in poor nick, avoid at all costs. These were little other than something cheap and naff to plink with, when new to start with.

Best brand new, low cost air rifle I'm hearing a lot of is a HATSAN 60S. Break Barrel spring rifle. Some of the fellows here will tell you more of this gun than I know. That should be capable of accurately despatching rabbits at 30-35 yards but, beyond that, it starts to get questionable as the quality of this gun is not all it should be. But, that's why they cost about a hundred quid give or take.

Start with these suggestions.

Best wishes.

Pianoman

thanks for getting back to me sorry for not explaining myself, what i mean is i want a little cheap gun for a few weeks then i am looking on getting a quite dear one what will last the life time as people say i have a little debt that needs payin 1st so at the moment i want something cheap! hope that makes sense but still glad you took the time for the info

To be honest your best bet might be to hang on till you are straight with your accounts again and put your £150 or whatever into a pot for a proper rifle. There's a chap here selling a .177 cal. TX200HC carbine for, I think, £250 rifle only OR £300 with a scope.

As an owner of one of these in .177 I can assure you this is a brilliant air rifle that can hold its own against a PCP and this one for sale looks a mint condition bargain.

All the best with your search.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Hiya Bribri988. Not all chinese made airweapons are junk, take a look at the Beretta designed Stoeger X20 Suppresser. For £160 it comes complete with a cracking 3X9X40 PA scope and dedicated mounts, I purchased one just to have a plinking rifle really and I was supprised on stripping it down to find it was extremely well made, the piston, unlike the early BSA meteor is machined from a solid billet of steel, and the barrel pivot is a proper bolt with screw adjustment, not a simple solid pin like the Meteor. The barrel detent lock up is extremely solid. and it comes with a overbarrel moderator which is extremely efficent. The only downside as purchased is the second stage trigger which is hard, however, you can buy aftermarket triggers which transformes the unit, Or do as I have done and drilled and tapped the trigger blade and fitted a 3m/m grub screw and locknut, which you can dial out the second stage pull and make a much lighter short travel pull. take it from me its a cracker. :yes:

There is another rifle that is very good, genuine 2 stage trigger, much improved in the manufacturing processes, anti bear trap mechanism, German barrel, recoil absorbing spring, powerlok mainspring, walnut stock and available for under £120 on a day out here

http://airgunbuyer.c...=EDGAR BROTHERS

This is the Hatsan 60S if you like a .22 or 55S if you like a .177. We bought a friend one last week, as the BSA he was allegedly (and I repeat allegedly we are still sure he paid about £70 for it) was a right heap of carp! He had it zeroed in 10 shots at the range and was shooting knockdowns from 6 metres to 26 metres with no problems at all... They make around 11.3 foot pound energy woth a 14.3 grain pellet...

If you shop around you can pick them up for under £90 new. You may get lucky and get a decent make rifle secondhand for around or just over your budget. Last year I picked up a TX200 in .177, gun bag, 4x32 scope, pellets and a sling for £160, so if you wait something may present itself....

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 1

If you could get a good gun like a hw ,air arms or an old webley mark 3 bsa air sporter or such .that still works well but the finish has been destroyed by weather and or time. Or spend more on a gun ...a good tin of pellets is around a tenner .

These threads have got me wondering.

Whatever happened to saving up for the air rifle you really, truly, madly, deeply wanted and enjoying that childlike excitement of going to your gunshop with the cash in your wallet. And that moment when it comes down from the racks and it's yours; all yours??

I bought every single one of my guns I ever had this way, and I cherished and cared for them all the more for what it took to get them.

Infact all the guns I own today, were purchased this way.

I don't owe any bugger for 'em, and no woman or even God himself is going to come between them and me. I don't want time and money wasted on foreign shitty holidays three times a year when I have such a large and beautiful permission to shoot over, train hard and keep myself fit and accuracy sharp and great friends to go shooting with.

I've never owned a cheap piece of shit in my life, as a rule in life; and I never, ever will. I don't see why another shooting lad should do himself short either. You'll just waste money, time and skills developement in your shooting for it in the end.

Just some personal thoughts.

Simon

• Like 1