Seatrout Baits

Hello All,

Just become a new member and would like to join up with people who have intrest in all types of game fishing.

Is there anyone out there who has heard of a bait called PUTTY/POATY or TOFFEE has it was once used by old cumbrian poachers for catching Sea trout.I was wondering how it was made and i know that the main ingredient is salmon roe but don't know what else is needed.

If anyone out there knows send me a PM

Cheers

Nog

Poaty or putty.....is quite simply salmon roe

very effective.....fished on the river bed, there are lots of modern baits and lures available that are equally effective , and should be persude over poaty in this day and age.

Yeah i used to make it, if its made right its deadly, better when the river is low and cold, they come looking for it then.

Some fished it above a Worm, but i was taught, that if your stuff was good, they will hit it first, years ago, we used to get a run of what they called Greybacks, back end Sea Troots, and good Herlings, seen us fishing in the dark in December, picking up five or six.

We fished it on a small treble, taking enough about the size of a pea, the treble stopped it falling off the hook easy, you just fished it like a worm, letting it bounce along the bottom, deadly.

was fishing it years ago with a mate, on a high water, when he hooked and landed a Salmon, with the Mickey right down his throat, never, had known a Salmon take the stuff, and never heard of it again.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

How do they make the jam in Wales then pal

Basically the same way as this post. Except I have not seen it done with a blender. And instead of putting a hair dryer on it, it was slowly baked in an oven.

If I remember correctly block salt had to be used as table salt has additives in it. And it did not last as well, as the eggs are collected in late November early December. ;)

get the salmon eggs wee drop of salt put in food mixer take it out then spread it on a baking tray hit it with a hair dryer till it goes tacky put it in a jar seale it with fat jobs a good one . keep it in the fridge just one way of making it but it works