Has any one on here had any experience of lamping 'proper game' (for the purpose of photography of course) on the Mara and similar places?

I shall be off on one of my trips in a few weeks and my Nightforce lamp will be accompanying me. Question is. Do you think a red filter will be benificial? I understand the local guides are experimenting with red.

You won't need to take your lamp if you are going to use rangers to guide you, all "night drives" are done by using a huge lamp to pick up eyes in the bush, i shouldn't think you will be able to hold a camera and a lamp?

If you are using an organised/tourist guide, they will have ample lamps etc. Most use a tracker, who is responsible for shining the lamp and finding game, if its an organised thing, i would doubt that you'd be allowed to shine your own lamp around at will. Plus tbh the trackers are trackers for a reason they know the game and the land inside out and will find you what you want to see. That said in Africa pretty much anything goes if your prepared to pay for it, money talks ;)

I spent 6 mths working in Southern Africa, and took night drives out most nights, photography wise its tough! Even with a red filter you struggle to get decent quality images, however night drives tend to leave around 3pm so you do get a wonderful hazy light before you stop for sundowners which is stunning for photography purposes. African wildlife and Photography are my 2 biggest loves in life . . . what i learnt to do was leave the camera at home on night drives and keep the memories as mental photos. Daytime was photography time. :victory:

Have a wonderful time, Africa is a magical place, it gets under your skin and you never quite get over it. :thumbs:

Hi Hannah,....I agree probably impossible to hold the lamp and take pictures. The idea was to use the lamp whilst relaxing in camp at night to see what is about. A lamp would have been ideal when I was in India as tigers and leopards would come to the water hole barely twenty yards from my lodge during the night and I've no doubt similar viewing opportunities will arise this time in Africa, although I don't think I will see any tigers... :laugh: