Just looking for a question answered please.

Hi guys. browse this website somtimes but i decided to sign up since i had a question id like to ask.

I have a 8 year old patterdale/lakeland bitch had her since she was 6 week old pup. all her brothers and sisters were jet black and she was the runt of the litter and the only bitch and she is brown and black on her back with her paws tipped white and chest is kinda white to so she kind of stood out to me. she is kinda small, i dont know about the father but the mother was used for hunting i think (patterdale)

Have her as a pet just a regular house dog and i live in the city but have a big field outside my house and there is a foresty wooded kinda area werew there are foxes and rabbits around pretty sure i saw a fox yesterday but it ran when it saw me.

Anyway me and a friend were talking he said i shouldnt let he off the lead when there is a fox around as it would probably kill her, but i thought since this is what these type of dogs are bred for she would likely go after it in an attempt to kill it?

She hasnt really got any hunting experience as iv said above but even tho she is 8 still fighting fit and as active as ever.

so basically if she saw a rabbit or a fox would she generally go after it as its in her natural instinct and would she put up a good fight against the fox?

dont really know much about hunting or anything so would be good to know.

thanks alot hope u can answer this for me :)

• Like 1

You need to head out with a few local lads in your area, best advice i can give you. If your terrier does decide to chase a fox, incase that fox goes to ground, it is cruel not to have the right tools to locate your terrier,, a lot of expense for a novice,, atb stripes.

• Like 1

Im not really looking to start hunting but i just thought id ask because when i did see the fox she must of smelt it and ran off in the direction i saw it and was going back and forth around the bushes i think in an attempt to find it so incase she does come across one some day im pretty sure she will follow it or something.

she tends to have selective hearing for example when fighting with another dog.

Edited by MC112

To be honest pretyy much no dog, is going to get killed by a fox. All the fox would want to do is get away and would only bite the dog in an escape attempt if the dog grabbed it, not as a form of atttack.

As a terrier, she would probably give chase because thats just what they do, but probably wouldnt like getting bit, butwho knows, as said, worst situation would be her following it to ground.

Your mate sounds like a pleb.

Edited by Ideation
  • Like 1

Im not really worried about the fox im worried about the dog going after the fox because once she goes for something thats usually it, depending.

shes pretty headstrong and aggressive for the size of her :p so generally speaking it wont kill her ?

i probably wont even run into it i was just curious to find out how she would get on if faced with one after my friend said it would be kill her (but he doesnt really know anything about hunting)

Edited by MC112

A fox should not be able to kill ' a decent terrier' whether or not yours is of a 'decent standard' or not is another question, but best of not let it off the lead as you have already said is head strong and could lead you into a spot of bother which you would have no idea to get out of. My advice keep it on a lead if you want to keep your pet.

thanks for the advice. When she goes off following a scent she usually comes back once called but then again she didnt actually see the fox over the long grass in the way.

i can post up a picture of her if anyone is interested to see ?