• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi I bought this rusty mk1 HW80 for £60 from a local SDS shop, I used the slack part of the belt on a 30"x1" linisher to grind down evenly until I reached the bottom of the pitting, I then polish

its only good natured banter Simon, as you well know, I can shoot a nats nacker off at yards with my quackenbush 1903 .177 rifle with Lanes catslugs!!, Mind you the recoil gets a bit savage! :whist

Post edited to enjoy a nice cup of Shut The F*ck Up!

Posted Images

Just to add.... I've three HW springers in the house right now. Two 90's, one in .20 and one in .177 and a .22 80 and none of them have choked barrels. I've checked them all.... Christ, I need to get a life!!!!.. That said, they're all a few years old.

Edited by andyfr1968

Hrmm, In the 1980,s I was involved in a well known Airgun World writers venture of supplying HW 80 modified Air rifles that had their actions polished and the barrels chopped and alloy moderators shrunk on. they were very popular and none ever came back with any kind of problem. As I was the one who did the work I remember I had a box of the barrel ends that were removed, since that time they have disapeared somewere in the depths of my workshop, If I remember correctly the German Air rifle makers used to put empathis on their advertisements of their barrels being choked for more accuracy!.If I cant find the barrel ends to check then I will have a word with a long time mate at Hull cartridge the importers and come back on this thread and say what he replies!. :hmm:

• Like 1

Sorry Andy, I cant find the HW barrel offcuts so I phoned a mate in the technical section at Hull cartridge, He confirmed that all HW barrels have been choked since The HW Model 35 and extra models was introduced! Ime all choked up again!! :yes: :yes: :boogy:

• Like 1

Just to add.... I've three HW springers in the house right now. Two 90's, one in .20 and one in .177 and a .22 80 and none of them have choked barrels. I've checked them all.... Christ, I need to get a life!!!!.. That said, they're all a few years old.

Hi Andy.

The HW80 you have has an HW90 .22 barrel on it. Remember? So effectively you have the same spec barrel on all three guns, in three different calibres.

HW spring rifle barrels are choked. I assure you. :whistling::yes:

Now both of you, play fair and nicely together. Or I'll come over and outshoot the bloody pair of you and your dads' PCP with THE LONGEST, UNCHOPPED, CHOKED, AND CHRIST ALMIGHTY HW80 .22 you will ever see and you'd wish was yours.

And Andy. You do know your stuff....99% of the time! :tongue2:

And that's good enough for me mate! :victory:

End of.

Simon the Pianoman.

• Like 1

its only good natured banter Simon, as you well know, I can shoot a nats nacker off at 80 yards with my quackenbush 1903 .177 rifle with Lanes catslugs!!, Mind you the recoil gets a bit savage! :whistling: :whistling: :laugh:

• Like 2

This is interesting..... :hmm:

Firstly, Simon!! Shut up or I'll chop your extra length barrel down to size when you're not looking the next time we're out!!!! :tongue2::laugh: :laugh: :D

Ron, the barrels I have on the .177 90 and the .22 80 (which as Simon has correctly stated :thumbs: also originally came off a 90) are from the mid to late 90's. The .20, which I believe is a Walther barrel was bought by me five years ago and lives on my own rifle. I checked for a choke by gently pushing pellets through the barrels with a nylon rod to see if there was any extra restriction towards the end and there was none. Not a jot. They all just slid through with the same pressure the whole length :hmm:

I'm at a bit of loss here!!! :blink::laugh::D

• Like 2
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Jeeze lets all agree to differ on the subject. My mate at Hull was telling me that they had a few HW springer barrels that was over choked which caused recoil and accuracy problems that were only resolved by the gunsmiths having to ease out the problem ones. as I stated before most if not all German airgun makers used to advertise the advantage of choking for accuracy with their products. Hrmm, lets think about what happens when you put your thumb over the end of a garden hose! depending on the amount of restriction Erh Choke! you can get a more accurate jet down range! :laugh: I rest my case me lords!! :yes: ATVB.
  • Like 1

My 80 definately chocked, sorry to veer of slightly here but i'd like to ask Simon if i would be better cutting a small amount of my uncut titan no2 spring in my fac 80, its shooting well enough to hunt out to 35 yards but is losing a little accuracy beyond this.

Admittadly she still has a bit of recoil with the full length spring and i'd like to tighten up the groups as she shot single hole groups sub 12.

I still get a ragged hole at 35 yards but its not as good with the extra power.

Any thoughts?

Chris.

Chris, you can get more accuracy by lessening the spring length but make sure you use a grindstone to square off the spring face after cutting, it allways helps to fit thin section steel or delrin washers to lessen the torque effect imparted by the spring release on firing, obviously you must take into account the extra length involved by fitting such washers before chopping the spring.

• Like 1

Hi Chris.

What Tron suggests, as far as cutting the spring goes, would help smooth out any probable inconsistency with compressive forces of air in the chamber, that might be causing a drift in accuracy over varying ranges. I use a Titan No2 spring in my HW80 .22 which, my dear Gunsmith fitted recently. Actually it took both him and a mutual mate to get it into place! :icon_eek::blink: But she shoots just fine. :thumbs:

ADDITIONALLY

Check your scope isn't canting in the mounts. You need to check your scope's alignment with spirit levels and a plumb line bomb. This will ensure your scope is perfectly in line with the rifle's action and barrel and correct zero-drift. FAC spring rifles can deliver a pretty sharp crack of recoil-shock that can cause a scope to lean over, or cant gradually with each shot. Wierdly sometimes, in a same-sense line depending which shoulder you shoot from. Left shoulder = left cant; etc.

A mis-aligned or canting scope, even if noticably slight, will not keep the fall of the pellet true on targets that lie closer or further than your original point of zero downrange. They will hit left or right of Zero according to which way the reticle is canting or leaning off.

I doubt this will be a case of scope-creep; where the scope and mounts slide or creep back with each shot. Unless your mounts do not have an arrestor stud to fit one of the three locating holes for them. If this is the case, get an arrestor block. Bisley make one in conjunction with Sportsmatch and they are perfect for curing this. I recently bought one for one of my scope/eye-relief set-ups and it cost about 8 quid.

Quite possibly, you may have to adjust your hold technique when zeroing and shooting your FAC HW80.

If you have a consistency problem with power produced from the spring, it may cause the rifle to bounce waywardly a little in your hands and throw your shot off-true.

Try adding a little more pressure (Only a little mind) on your controlling hand around the pistol grip with the thumb up the spine and a little pressure on the palmswell. It may be your rifle is recoiling sharply and needs a bit more dampening to keep it from recoiling off-target beyond your set zero range.

If you add pressure with your leading hand on the forestock, as well as the grip, you will find your shot hits about 2-3 inches low of zero. Don't worry. That is it's way of telling you it needs a bit more hold from you!

LASTLY

Examine your trigger setting. You might need to use a little softer let-off from it than at present. Especially if your rifle is firing with a sharp crack recoil.

I'm pretty certain there's your cure in there somewhere for it Chris. Hope this helps shrink your groups :thumbs:

Regards.

Simon

Edited by pianoman