well this was my grandfathers bill hook quite old and is having a make over,these are piks of before i started and of some pieces of wood im going to use for the handle think the elm is the one for me,since the pictures i have removed the handle and straightened it up,wed will be the day to take the grinder to it.

208.jpg205.jpgKGrHqJpQE-v1DDhpYBQuyeHWw60_12.jpgT2eC16RcE9s4PtHh3BQt21sOd60_12.jpgKGrHqFpkE-ymFjPvOBQuEHoYOQ60_12.jpg

the handle will be hand made with a brass collar

more piks later in the week

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

beacause he wants to , and it has sentimental attachment to him ,, f**k me you came in like a bull in a china shop there and missed the point buy about 4 miles !!! he asked me about mirror finnish i

well this was my grandfathers bill hook quite old and is having a make over,these are piks of before i started and of some pieces of wood im going to use for the handle think the elm is the one for me

good luck with it ! go steady with the grinder its easy to remove to much or just plunge in and make it uneaven . slow is smooth smooth is fast ha ha . im looking forward to seeing the finnished pro

good luck with it ! go steady with the grinder its easy to remove to much or just plunge in and make it uneaven .

slow is smooth smooth is fast ha ha .

im looking forward to seeing the finnished project .

all the best , matt

• Like 1

Like the walnut piece myself, is that wax what is around the edge, if yes, why is there wax around them, what is the purpose of the wax, probably sound's a daft question, but when you don't know, you ask. :hmm:

i will find out for you mate i did read it somewhere but cant find it now it is some sort of wax apparently to keep the fibres together ?! :huh: .

i only purchased them yesturday for £1.30 each they measure between 10 an 6 inch each and are 2 inch deep but the walnut is only 1.5 inch so will have to see how they look when they arrive.i origionally was after spalted or burr but the prices were getting high and as its my first one went for something reasonable but cheap,the 3 including delivery is just over a tenner dont know how expensive this is but should get 2-3 handles out of each so doesnt seem to bad.

cheers matt do you think it will be possible to take it to a full shine or is that asking a bit much?

atb

no with enough elbow grease it will go to mirror finnish . its a shame your not coming over with it i have a machine that would surface grind it flat and take it to an even 120 grit finnish , would have saved lots of work and establish a grain to the metal .

the wax on the wood is to stop splitting as the wood continues to dry , the cut edge would dihidrate faster and cause warping/splitting . it justs sands away !

it does look beautiful wood !

no with enough elbow grease it will go to mirror finnish . its a shame your not coming over with it i have a machine that would surface grind it flat and take it to an even 120 grit finnish , would have saved lots of work and establish a grain to the metal .

the wax on the wood is to stop splitting as the wood continues to dry , the cut edge would dihidrate faster and cause warping/splitting . it justs sands away !

it does loom beautiful wood !

could have said you had a surface grinder before i went and brought a new brake disc for the lads scooter the otherday :laugh:

it does loom beautiful wood !

will the linisher do the same job? i have bought some 60 and 80 flap paddles for the grinder but have 120 400 800 and 1200 and a sanding block also a buffing wheel that im hoping will be ok ,not sure which grit is on the linisher ,might just give it a quick blast and do the rest by hand.

im sure it will but there is no short cut to getting it mirror you need every grade form 60. 80. 120. 240. 320. 400 ,600, 800, 1000, 1500, then final 2000. then buff with a cesil mop and brown compound in all directions , clean all the compound off then a stitched mop with green compund , clean again then go with an unstitched cotton mop and pink or white compound .

every time you change to a new grit you need to move only in one direction ie realy straight , but you need to change direction with every paper grit . if that makes sence

unles its a knife makers linisher the grits will be to harsh and they are realy for shaping and grinding , the polishing comes from the finer grits . its such a large flat surface id be worried i might not keep it flat .

if you staple the paper over a flat lump of wood wider than the blade you have a handle either side of the blade and the paper in the midel , staple it tight as you can , a hard backing serface really helps .

i wish it was a surface grinder paul is a massive belt sand i use as a surface grinder by mounting the blade to a jig .

i duno if it would have got the precise finnsh you want on a brake disk ?

im sure it will but there is no short cut to getting it mirror you need every grade form 60. 80. 120. 240. 320. 400 ,600, 800, 1000, 1500, then final 2000. then buff with a cesil mop and brown compound in all directions , clean all the compound off then a stitched mop with green compund , clean again then go with an unstitched cotton mop and pink or white compound .

every time you change to a new grit you need to move only in one direction ie realy straight , but you need to change direction with every paper grit . if that makes sence

unles its a knife makers linisher the grits will be to harsh and they are realy for shaping and grinding , the polishing comes from the finer grits . its such a large flat surface id be worried i might not keep it flat .

if you staple the paper over a flat lump of wood wider than the blade you have a handle either side of the blade and the paper in the midel , staple it tight as you can , a hard backing serface really helps .

i wish it was a surface grinder paul is a massive belt sand i use as a surface grinder by mounting the blade to a jig .

i duno if it would have got the precise finnsh you want on a brake disk ?

ive brought him a new one now, wonder what i can do with the old one :hmm::laugh:

so you need to go through every grit individually? .are these a rubbing type compound similair to g3 for car paint .

hoped i might be able to jump a few grits and it wouldnt make to much diference :cray: .