a question for you lads about knifemaking

In all fairness I imagine that people coming on here uniquely to sell a £200-400 per knife commissions and do so in any great volume are going to be pretty disappointed.

were all cheap in here :whistling::D

From my own point of view :laugh:

Yes I would pay for a blank or two and have a go myself, I may even buy a fully made one for sort of up to 100 quid if I was feeling flush. But could i justify spending 400 quid on a custom made knife when I can essentially get almost the same functionality out of £10 worth of size 9 opinel?

Even from a purely business point of view matt, if your going to use the forum, I think what your doing by facilitating others making their own or teaching etc I think you will get more business out of the forum,

• Like 2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its simple mate, this is a hunting forum with a sales section, not a selling forum with a few hunting articles to pull in potential customers. matt has contributed to the forum long before and during

matt youve done some cracking posts and your work that is a credit to you. i think i know what your saying, but its a dog eat dog world and for them to take the trouble you must be ruffleing feathers,

thanks guys , its genuinly not a business thing this one , the worlds big enough for everyone to make a living and we all do things differantly dont we , its not a financial threat thing either , ther

Ive always fancied a go at making myself a decent knife... theres no way I would pay 200-400 for one thats for sure as its just a hunting tool for me. I look forward to reading through your posts they sound good. Like you said this forum is more about the crack, sharing info and helping each other, rather than financial gain. Hats off to you for your input :thumbs:

In all fairness I imagine that people coming on here uniquely to sell a £200-400 per knife commissions and do so in any great volume are going to be pretty disappointed.

Yes I would pay for a blank or two and have a go myself, I may even buy a fully made one for sort of up to 100 quid if I was feeling flush. But could i justify spending 400 quid on a custom made knife when I can essentially get almost the same functionality out of £10 worth of size 9 opinel?

Even from a purely business point of view matt, if your going to use the forum, I think what your doing by facilitating others making their own or teaching etc I think you will get more business out of the forum,

i have several of matts (11) :icon_redface: aswell as others :angel:

im with you guys its only recently i have owned or use custom knives , i bought one years ago and was not happy with it and wondered why i bothered , its true there are lots of knives cheap that will do a grand job , same as guns cars etc .

but since iv been making i do understand it alot more , and i do aspire to own other top end makers knives now , and will buy some in the near future .

but i will say this you can hold an opnel in one hand and a hand forged damsacus knife in the other and i can tell you which one has the most excitment and pride in owner ship . on a big headed note i have 3 of my own that i use , there not flash but they are so much better to use than anything else i have owned . the shape it right the grind is right ballence etc ..

the market for the top end stuff is based on the guys that have a £1500 rifle a £1500 scope £300 moderator and are looking for the big trophy buck !

or like my land lord who owns old english damascus hammer guns for game shooting all over the world , he can afford them and wants them , and says they offer alot more enjoyment that a modern gun with out finesse .

you know the guys with the £300 wellies !

they have bought everything else they need the knife to .

im not in that group and probably never will be but i dont have to be, to make them what they are looking for .

about showing you guys "how its done" (in my own way) , well i never assumed it would be a good or a bad thing , just somethig i wanted to do and the pay off was massive you guys liked it and i enjoyed doing it , mission acomplished.

it turned out that it was a good move in terms of sales but it was neer the motive .

its been said a few times now that mybe i should hold small group classes on the topic where you make your own , thats something i really would like to look at this year if i can get the insurace etc in place .

dont forget guys there is still rob , kev and alex who all make superb knives as does our new mate , there quality is very very good and im sure they will make you what your looking for , there must be 5 of you guys iv tried to help get started in forging there own and i know some of you have started to get the equipment already , i would say there is going to be some first rate makers on here in the very near future !!

and they all need the suport and a lttle money for what they make to let them fund the next project !

• Like 1

I have 3 and they are excellent quality. I will probably leave it at that though I only have 2 hands

I have 3 and they are excellent quality. I will probably leave it at that though I only have 2 hands

i have a big cabinet aswell as 2 hands :laugh:
  • Like 1

So , to ballance the equilibrium and since we must air our dirty laundry in public...................

I PM'd this back

Yeah real nice of you .....friend.

Thanks for stabbing me in the back and trying to rubbish my name before I've even settled in here......nice going sport.

His reply was

Piss of Richie!

you took the piss and you know it , don’t ever be cocky with me again , I’m sure we will meet one day I’m going nowhere other than up with my knives , and I’m here to stay .

you’re not my friend at all , you palled up to me on British blades mined me for f*****g info and contacts then never said a word , you also mined me to see where I was selling , I told you and now here you are !!

I’ll just let you know now iv a short temper with folks that take the piss and I’m a big lad , you should remember we are on the internet , I promise you would not take the piss to my face .

You deserve all you get.

And you rubbished yourself Richie you alone.

like it says on the thread I’m smack bang in the middle here iv been hunting all my life and have allot of friends and acquaintances on here , I earned that by not being smug, cocky or under handed , you could learn a lot form that !!

Now carry on with whatever you want to do sell what you want, I’ve explained myself to everyone and if anyone don’t understand me then they must be thick as pig shit!

Nobody is stopping you from selling here and you already sold one so carry on.

You know how I feel and I care not what you got to say anymore.

Looks like it’s all back fired Richie, maybe it’s time to apologise and make it right?

So I replied with this.

Matt , I do think you got me all wrong.

I do not see how I took the piss .I wasn't being cocky at all just having a type conversation via a private message with what I thought(yes it's true) was a friend.

I like you am going nowhere either as making knives is my full time occupation albeit one that doesn't pay much.........more of that in a mo.

Yeah , i remember the contact and pm's regarding info and where to sell , I remeber thinking that the place you was getting them cut (blanks that is) was very expensive. I have found a much cheaper place elsewhere but have yet to use their services.

And if I didn't say thanks on there I oppologise , I thought I did and it's that web chat thing where you can't really have a decent chat and know when a conversation has finished.

I don't recall you saying you were selling on here though .

Yes I remember your short temper. You should see it from my side for a minute.

So this is how things are. BB and selling blades is getting hard work. A mate of mine says that it's a buyers market in which case my knives are deemed as too expensive. My answer was to look elsewhere to sell and that was recomended too.

I looked at a airgun forum as I just bought a new one on a whim....cost me 85 quid which I have to somehow pay back.

That airgun forum was a no go for selling of knives so next on the list was this place. To my surprise , after looking at the forum titles and looking at the FAQ page it didn't say I couldn't sell knives. So I thought I could indulge my two latest hobbies in one place.

So with regards to doing a WIP thread , what you are in fact saying , in order for me to sell one knife which could range in price from £50 to £200 I have to do a WIP ?

Imagine for a moment , I make one (yes just one) knife which takes a week to make then a few more days doing the sheath I don't really want the extra hassle of doing a WIP. Please show me the info/thread where you are discussing self regulation , i'd be interested to read it.

Now , where I am at the minute is ....skint , need a couple of hundred quid to do a shed build , the blacker will be going in that to start making some damascus. So that's why I came on here. Nothing more nothing less. No piss taking intended.

You know as well as I, I can and will do WIP's , that's why you asked me to ressurect the knife on a shoestring thread but for the moment my priority has to be to make some money.

Hope this explains somewhat my situation and you've calmed down a bit.

Richie.

As yet I don't have a reply and think there won't be one forthcoming.

But you lot need to read between the lines here and see what your very own mate is doing here.

1/ he is not impressed at all that yet another knife maker has joined the forum , and hence he has deemed me a threat to his own knife making empire.

2/he is trying to belittle me and then go on to try to intimidate and bully me with ''I'm a big lad''.

3/belittling started earlier on in this thread not just in the PM. with ''Peter Sutcliffe' Indeed , is that the best you can come up with.

I have asked to see this self regulation thread or info that he has talked about . I have not been shown any info on this. So rather than say ''well me ol' mate this IS how it's done on this forum'' he goes for the jugular ,I knew it was a hunting forum but ...................

And in doing this thread he has succesfully succeeded in making sure no-one will buy any of my knives because at this time I have refused to do any WIP threads.

His Job is accomplished.

So I ask you , if you were to have to get in a plummer or electrician would you ask for a detailed WIP from them before you let them do the work ??? I think not.

Would you ask that plummer or electrician to do the job on the cheap....cut corners.....? I think not.

So why am I being told to do a WIP to sell just one or two knives.?

Edited by Richie'66

its simple mate, this is a hunting forum with a sales section, not a selling forum with a few hunting articles to pull in potential customers. matt has contributed to the forum long before and during the time he has been selling knives . he has openely showed how he does things and helped alot of lads start a new hobby or at least have a go. you joined 13 days ago and have posted in 5 topics. 1 to say hello, 1 to type ??(god knows why)1 to advertise your knives, 1 to advertise your knives on someone elses thread and your comments in this one. says it all to me mate :angel:

• Like 5

Ritchie, i think you have got it all wrong, matt isn't worried about any new knife maker's, he actually encourage's the lad's to have a go at knife making, any question's on making knives and he will answer honestly, he has even showed people how to go about it and the pic's show how to do it, i have never thought of making a knife but i still enjoy reading and seeing the how to make them post's, as a lot of people do, you have even said that he has given you some helpful tip's on the other forum, you don't join a site and start an uprising :laugh: in 13 day's, it is a hunting site, but we don't hunt each other.

1 matt has only ever encouraged knife makers on here and helped them I don't think he would be threatend only glad that there was someone else to answer the questions ..

2 the Peter sutcliff thing is funny mate even more funnier as you removed the pic ...

1 matt has only ever encouraged knife makers on here and helped them I don't think he would be threatend only glad that there was someone else to answer the questions ..

2 the Peter sutcliff thing is funny mate even more funnier as you removed the pic ...

anychance a seeing this pic, i missed it :cray: