• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot, school holidays isn't it, try another comic.   Idiots trying to convince beginners and lead them astray will always get a Bullish response from me, your condescending "knowledgeable" posts

to be honest i cant say they do for sure, but as there is only a couple of factories that can produce rimfire and CCi is the largest and as they already produce all the 22lr and 17 ammo for the compan

BS, go away and do some research.   As a designer of Hybrid ammo for the Special Forces you surprise me!   CCI does NOT make ALL .22lr ammo for every tom dick and harry, they make .17 HMR for a

Posted Images

Matt_Hooks is the only one with the right answer. Spend a few hours shooting at paper targets to methodically try a variety of ammunition from your local dealer and as soon as you know which one your gun likes best buy as much of that batch as you can afford or your licence will allow.

Two seemingly identical guns may react differently to the same ammunition. You have to find this out for yourself.

Les

As has already been said, what suits one person/barrel will not necessarily work for another.

I have long been a fan of Magtech 40g HP Subs, they work a treat in both my current .22lr rifles, and my lads, VERY accurate and a massive HP which peels back and expands brilliantly, but the price has gone through the roof in about the last 4 years from £3.50 x 100 to around £11 x 100. You will find many who will not give this ammo house room as it doesn't work for them, it works brilliantly for me!

I now tend to use Winchester (big HP), and RWS if I can't get them, I have tried loads over the years and found the Remington to be terrible consistency, whizz, bang, thud or nothing, so I stay clear of them. CCI were always good but hard to chamber in my CZ.

Back in the target days it was always Eley but I have been less than impressed with them in the field. Accuracy has been no better than Magtech, (which is great anyway), the HP is very small, and far from the best in the expansion department, and of course they are not cheap.

The latest CCI segmenting don't inspire me either, very frangible bullet, not accurate, poor terminal results, and ******* expensive......... now....I still have about half the original box I bought when they first arrived in the country, I had to go to the Beretta Galley in London for the privilege of buying some, the only place in the country that had them at the time. This is one batch, and it may not have been a good one, who knows, others seem to like the stuff, I don't.

Lapau has been ok but not readily available round my way.

There are lots of other makes out there, some that I have never tried, or not tried for years, one that interests me is Henry Krank VALUE .22LR Subs £4.10 x 100, never used it...what is the general opinion?

So these days, HP subs is Winchester or RWS, BOTH work well in my CZ Silhouette and Magtech 7022, so result for me!

:thumbs:

What most here don't get is that .22 is the bottom of the pile.

To explain;

In the states they are given to kids as toys, and the same in a lot of the lesser controlled world than ours.

Ammo has to be cheap and cheerful, and we, the UK market evermore increasingly don't figure in sales. I'll let you guys work that 1 out.

So, the quality of .22 ammo declines due to a less discerning customer base.

Winnies???? Swore by them 30 years back, then they went to australia for manufacture and something went wrong.

I bought a block of 1000 and no 2 shot the same, super sonic, subsonic and some that just about fell out of the spout.

It was like that for some time, 1 day they were fine, the next batch not.

Today? I don't know where they are made, but I do know the gun I had back then doesn't like them now, simply because my mate has it.

My latest gun, same generic gun but newer and a target barrel simply hates them, shaves the tips on loading and even when singly loaded, sprays them over 4" at 100 yds

By comparison Eley subs hit lower but in a 2" circle.

I have an experiment to carry out. Using the old gun and some ammo that hasn'r seen the light of day for 30 years. I don't know if that will be valid, or even if it will fire, but it should be interesting.

Edited by cyclonebri1

sub winny, remmy, ely are all on par here but I prefer winny h/v/ or remmy golden bullet for the performance & kill rate. All make a noise when fired, h/v kill better & have better distance / traj.. if I wanted sub, I would use a fac airrifle for better results.

over the past month or so ive been trying various subsonic ammo out on the range... ive been using winnies since i bought my rifle but i have a 40 mile round trip to buy em!!!so i decided to try some makes the local shops sell, i started with rws hp subs!!! not a bad round,very quiet but did'nt group as well as winnies!! did'nt even bother with cci's tried remmington subs,lol it spatt em all over... then i tried eley hp subs,i fired about 8 shots pretty tight group then crack,a flyer even the lad on the next fireing point heard it... so i carried on and out of 100 rounds i had about 6-7 flyer's from a round that costs £9.60 per 100... a load of bollocks so im sticking to winchesters!!!! ill just have to keep traveling

I've had a couple of bad boxes of Winchester subs lately. Very accurate when they fire. Never had a misfire with Eley subs in my Magtech 7022 semi, but not so accurate and unavailable locally at the moment.

My Zastava has always liked Winchester Super X HP subs (in the cardboard boxes of 50) which give 2-inch groups @ 65 yards.

However, I recently changed to Lapua X-Trainer LRNs, which shoot 1.5-inch groups, and Lapua X-Zone LRNs, which give one-inch groups. At 4.00 and 4.50 euros for 50, I haven't found anything better at such a reasonable price in France.

There's a limited choice of brands over here. Tried Remington subs, which were often supersonic, sometimes subsonic, sometimes failed to fire, and generally inaccurate. I've also tried RWS HPs, which grouped as well as the Win Super X, but cost twice as much over here. I've never found any Eleys over here, although I've read good things about them.

Have also tried the Winchester LRN subs in plastic boxes of 100 -- cheap as chips over the internet, not very accurate, lots of fliers, lots of loud bangs and quiet phuts. They're also extremely difficult to extract -- they seem to have a slightly larger case diameter. I'm saving them for when I get a .22 pistol.

So the X-Zones, work best in my barrel, although they can also occasionally be tricky to extract. For coypu hunting, I tend to stick with the X-Trainers, which both group and extract well, in case I need a follow-up shot.