The mole king award, who,s caught the most?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know for a FACT that one person that was awarded 'mole catcher of the month', and was then on the TV, Radio and in the papers, made it up so he could get free advertising for his pest control. I sai

How did they verify this figure? Or is it one mans claims!?

The BTMR collect monthly numbers from members.   I've never bothered, because like most have already said, numbers mean nothing to me.   Customer service, effficency and humane trapping are far mo

£75.00 to join the BTMR, tell em you can catch moles and you're in! So I phoned a few on the list local(ish) to me, just look on the site to find the numbers, I gave them some work.. had a chat with a few of them, they didn't get much work from it, more word and mouth, so I didn't join. 500 members @ 75.00, good man, doesn't need to work, wish I thought of it first.

Got a guy on my Facebook, giving me the big one because I'm not "Qualified" :thumbs: and HE is... through the Guild, told me I had to join or I couldn't get insurance, so I went on their website, found out who the insurer was and phoned him, and still got 10% of, hmmmmm, didn't join them either..

I write down in me diary how many I catch, as I can't remember what I done five minutes ago let alone how many moles I catch on each farm each day.

You have hit the nail on the head there Jack..........Most just see membership of such organizations as a badge that somehow makes them "Qualified" in the eyes of the public and makes them legitimate. The only qualification you require to be classed as a good molecatcher is "Experience" and lots of it. When you can look at any mole job, no matter how big, and not be daunted by the prospect of clearing up the problem then, and only then, will you be qualified to describe yourself as a professional mole trapper.

Youve summed it up very nicely there, Rolfe.One of the best 'statements' ive read on here !

£75.00 to join the BTMR, tell em you can catch moles and you're in! So I phoned a few on the list local(ish) to me, just look on the site to find the numbers, I gave them some work.. had a chat with a few of them, they didn't get much work from it, more word and mouth, so I didn't join. 500 members @ 75.00, good man, doesn't need to work, wish I thought of it first.

Got a guy on my Facebook, giving me the big one because I'm not "Qualified" :thumbs: and HE is... through the Guild, told me I had to join or I couldn't get insurance, so I went on their website, found out who the insurer was and phoned him, and still got 10% of, hmmmmm, didn't join them either..

I write down in me diary how many I catch, as I can't remember what I done five minutes ago let alone how many moles I catch on each farm each day.

You have hit the nail on the head there Jack..........Most just see membership of such organizations as a badge that somehow makes them "Qualified" in the eyes of the public and makes them legitimate. The only qualification you require to be classed as a good molecatcher is "Experience" and lots of it. When you can look at any mole job, no matter how big, and not be daunted by the prospect of clearing up the problem then, and only then, will you be qualified to describe yourself as a professional mole trapper.

Youve summed it up very nicely there, Rolfe.One of the best 'statements' ive read on here !

Thankyou........earth-thrower........very kind of you...! :D;)

Two years ago I hit over 800 this year it has been very poor not had a quarter of the mole work, just of topic i got my 20th wasps job today its a bad year all round...atb

well done jack its on for fun this post anyway,and dont worry about going off topic its all good chat and to be honest some very valid comments related to clubs and so called qualifications,trouble nowdays a course or club gives you a "pro entitlement".experience and field knowledge is second to classroom and paperwork,its all bull really,but its gettin to the point its mandatory,bpca and all these groups are becoming dictators and making it difficult for expierienced guys not willing to play and pay toward there scams,pest control-shootin-trappin ect has been railroaded by bereaucracy,its all gone wrong atb thanks for joining in on this post.
I also heard (or read, I can't remember which) that they want to see the trapline trap outlawed because it allegedly 'stabs' moles. I'm not sure who true that is, but I do know that lots of UK molecatchers love that trap.

I hadn't heard anything about that, and I am also not sure how that would work in the UK. My understanding is that mole traps are exempt from needing the type of approval that many other traps need in the UK. So I don't know how you'd make it illegal. Anyway, our traps certainly are not designed to "stab" the moles and they don't have sharpened tines. The tines almost always come around the back of the mole, and the trap kills them with a crushing action of the jaws.

I no what your saying about bpca and other organizations, they say they want to put us all under one umbrella. Thats why the bpca are pushing for the roma protocol as they say to stop cowboys in pest control, but to me its just a another way of getting cash out of us...atb

Couldn't agree more about the experience! I'll openly admit 5-6 years go I to called to a 2,000 acre farm, and I was as you say a bit taken back by he mass of the job!

We now have over 8,000 acres on contract in the south and hundreds of domestic and manner gardens!

I'm a member of he BTMR for he simple fact that they help promote the "mole catcher" as a traditional trade. They regularly comment in national papers etc! You can get a discount on traps and I get about 4-6 jobs from the site per year covering the cost!

I don't like the guild at all they have just copied the BTMR!

I don't believe it matters if a mole catcher is qualified or not, as if they can't catch moles or rip people off they will not be in business for long!

I love mole catching, it's not like other trapping! You have to take care with every trap you set!

DKG. Couldn't be bothered to sift through the multi quotes to highlight the one I wanted but you said "qualified".

Who the feck is qualified in mole catching or rabbit control or even fork lift truck driving for that matter!!

How can you stamp a qualification on it? As in my eyes it all begins with any mans trial and error and experience, for anybody to state they are qualified, generally means somebody has tested them and observed their working methods, conduct and practice. As already made clear it's down to ability?

The point I'm getting at is who qualified the first man in order to qualify the next and so on.

Most industry's are that way and it does my swede in, what qualifys a man more who has sat on his arse in a shirt and tie in a classroom or office for a couple of years more than a man with no "tickets" or "paper achievements" who has been out in the shit, hands on, learning and aplying his trade/craft?

Qualifications my arse

• Like 1

I don't get that last post? I agree with you! I don't see the point in a mole qualification! Even if some one is a master mole catcher and noes the distance from their dick tO there arse don't mean they will be able to catch a mole better than you or me!

You are a professional mole catcher in my eyes when you catch every mole you set traps for!

I'm all for qualification in the pest control industry as a whole because I think that it's nearly as important as experience.

My experience of the industry leads me to believe that it's only those who can't get qualified that moan about it...........

BUT.............. (here it comes....)

When it comes to trapping moles, does it really matter if you know what the Berkshire term for a good pelt is? Or what percentage of oxygen in the air a mole needs to survive? Does it buggery.

The only advantage to gaining all this detailed knowledge about mole biology is that you can talk more confidently about moles.

When the GBM first brought in their 'qualification', I thought it was a nice idea, especially as it was free. When they moved on to Level 2 and 3 and got so in depth, I thought, and still think, that it's pointless.

And as for 'Master Molecatcher', don't get me started...... My mum always told me that it made you go blind.........

Anyway, will all these bits of paper offered by the Guild make better trappers? No chance.

Fair play Matt, but I must add I'm not moaning, I have the relevant qualifications!!!!! For the work I undertake including a fork truck licence!

But What gets my goat is for example is if somebody didn't have thier RSPH they wouldn't be able to work in pest control within the food industry, but They could happily wipe out thousands of rodents working within agriculture without it, most folk don't give two hoots what accreditation you have or who you belong to provided you can do your job. Cowboys aside.

"money for old rope?"

Or passing the book for insurance purposes or just creating a " jamboy"!!

To be honest it's not a debate I'm willing to get into with you, we both have our opinions and I feel that arguing my point with you would be like trying to change the colour of your skin.

Safe contractors scheme!!! Hmmn! I will leave it there!

Atb

But What gets my goat is for example is if somebody didn't have thier RSPH they wouldn't be able to work in pest control within the food industry, but They could happily wipe out thousands of rodents working within agriculture without it, most folk don't give two hoots what accreditation you have or who you belong to provided you can do your job. Cowboys aside.

There will come a time when the RSPH, which is after all just an 'entry level' qualification, will be mandatory if you want insurance no matter what the job is. It's not about food sites, it's about a basic knowledge of the theory of pest control.

Does it make you a pest controller? No, of course not. What it does do is give you a recognisable qualification a bit like a driving licence that allows you to continue your learning in the field.

Forget all that bollocks about it costing £1,000 as well. If you want to do an intensive week long course, then that's about the cost. If all you need is the qualification, and you think you've got the relevant knowledge, then it costs less than £200.

But none of that changes the fact that you need no bits of paper to catch moles, and long may it remain so.

The BTMR will continue to offer training to those who want it, and advertising for those who pay for it. The Guild will (I'm sure) continue to campaign for better mole welfare, and continue to promote traps which most professionals consider are not good enough.

The APM will just sit quietly in the background and fight off more attempts by deluded individuals to get daily checking of mole traps a legal requirement. I hope so anyway.

I also heard (or read, I can't remember which) that they want to see the trapline trap outlawed because it allegedly 'stabs' moles. I'm not sure who true that is, but I do know that lots of UK molecatchers love that trap.

I hadn't heard anything about that, and I am also not sure how that would work in the UK. My understanding is that mole traps are exempt from needing the type of approval that many other traps need in the UK. So I don't know how you'd make it illegal. Anyway, our traps certainly are not designed to "stab" the moles and they don't have sharpened tines. The tines almost always come around the back of the mole, and the trap kills them with a crushing action of the jaws.

Well, im a 'fan' of your trap Steve,it works well.I do believe it to be the case at the guild ,that they view the ' duffus type ' to be the ' ultimate ' trap for moles.This is 'debatable' though.Certain individuals may feel that the popularity of your trap, poses a threat to their 'interests' ,as far as the 'promotion' of the 'half-barrel' is concerned. Edited by earth-thrower

Season so far:

Job called in on Thursday from shoot permission as their dad (lives next door) had a problem with moles. Never set a mole trap in my life before but having read a few bits and watch a few vids I took my traps. Probed around for 20mins and traced feeding runs back to main travel tunnel. One trap set on Sunday. One mole collected last night. Trap reset and will be going back tonight for further investigation and to set further two traps.

1 mole.