recurring ticks

small hob that i took in after it was found has a recurring problem with ticks. hes been treated with frontline all the ticks have been removed and hes been put in a new hutch. they dont seem to be causing him any disress but its bloody annoying that i cant get to the bottom of it i even puthim in the shower the other day see if it helps locate more ticks this helps as its easier to check the skin as the fur becomes easier to see through. have frontlined his cage and given it a good going over with the blowlamp hopefully i have done all that i can to rid him of this problem. anyone else got any ideas. by the way its the frontline spray im using not spot on.

small hob that i took in after it was found has a recurring problem with ticks. hes been treated with frontline all the ticks have been removed and hes been put in a new hutch. they dont seem to be causing him any disress but its bloody annoying that i cant get to the bottom of it i even puthim in the shower the other day see if it helps locate more ticks this helps as its easier to check the skin as the fur becomes easier to see through. have frontlined his cage and given it a good going over with the blowlamp hopefully i have done all that i can to rid him of this problem. anyone else got any ideas. by the way its the frontline spray im using not spot on.

Frontline isnt a repellant so even if you treat regular ticks & fleas will still jump on, but they will die as the frontline is distributed through the coat via the body oils, but as much as its a pain it will eventually break the life cycle of the pests which is how you get rid of them in the long term :thumbs:

frontline i think is working as the ticks are to small to use the large otom puller on and dont seem inflated like they do when they have had a good feed they are still flat ill just keep going with them and hope that i break the cycle like you say cheers

At one point I had major problem with Ticks. I cleaned everything out thoroughly. Sprayed with http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/dog-kennels/3520-strikeback-hutch-and-kennel-protector-5065000941062.html

Which you spray the whole hutch and leave for 5 hours for long protection.

Removed all visible ticks with a tick remover

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/o-tom-tick-remover_1_20339.html?utm_source=Google%2BProducts&utm_medium=Google%2BProducts&utm_campaign=Google%2BProducts

Sprayed them all with front-line.

Then cleaned out the hutch for several days after to get rid of any hidden ones.

Guest annette jackman

pets at home on a good spot tick treatment for ferrets if it still reoccuring, (i use it once or twice and it doesnt seem to reoccure after) spray the cage with a treatment let it dry for a few hours then i use stable cleaner, and respray again, dont forget to spray any tunnels ect as well. i had the same problem only on my hob last year jill never seemed to get them

They're probably getting reinfestated from their living quarters. :yes: The small pin head sized ticks can get in the smallest of gaps, so you need to thoroughly treat the living space at the same time you treat the ferrets. Burn all bedding and make sure you get all shavings and stuff out of the living areas. Buy some pesticide spray, I've found that any spray containing permethrin works well, and don't be shy with it. Spray everywhere you can in the living area paying close attention to corners and wood joints. Treat the ferrets with the frontline while you have them out, and leave them out of the living area for a good few hours until the pesticide dissipates. Use fresh bedding and shavings.

What are you using for bedding? I used to use the bagged hay you get from pet shops, but I think that's where my tick problem originated from.. :yes::thumbs:

the quarters have been entirely cleaned out washed out then atacked with the blowtorch. have binned all the bedding and put new in im using a fleece blanket at the minute with a few shavings about havnt used hay in a long time now. i seem to be getting somewhere havent seen one since the post so i will keep me eyes open have also gone over to the dry food for a while see if its the rabbits bringing in the ticks seems strange its only the one cage though with the one hob in.

'muddy210' timestamp='1342019167' post='2710752']

the quarters have been entirely cleaned out washed out then atacked with the blowtorch. have binned all the bedding and put new in im using a fleece blanket at the minute with a few shavings about havnt used hay in a long time now. i seem to be getting somewhere havent seen one since the post so i will keep me eyes open have also gone over to the dry food for a while see if its the rabbits bringing in the ticks seems strange its only the one cage though with the one hob in.

try looking elsewhere is it the first cage in the garden a cat or fox would pass ?.

• 1 month later...
:censored: i hate these lil TW+TS i get stuff from the vet seems to work but not from as long as i would like i pay £20 for this treatment for one ferret but for some really really werid reason its only my 2 gilsl that seem to get this? anyone eles find this as happened with them and not sure if its the hutch they are in maybe am missing a spot in the hutch when blasting it :hmm: :hmm:

Ive got a similar problem, the kits Ive separated have picked the odd one up from a old hutch. I dont think frontline works as well as it used to, so Ive bought a big bucket of Diatomaceous Earth. Sounds the bollox on the label, and because of the way it works, the parasites cant build up immunity to it. Ive dusted all my birds and animals plus all pens and hutches, and it also works as a deodourizer.