Coursing Dogs

I wouldn't personally I lost a good coursing dog on the lamp so neva agen will I make the same mistake, slipped the dog he went bout 3 fields untill eventually ran out of the beam :(

what you mean it ran away from you,

No not exactly mate, the dog just didn't know when to stop didn't hunt up just kept running, so I now only use my day dogs in the day and my lamping dogs in the night,

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use my dogs for all hunting.  I know several men that have excellent daytime dogs that are also top drawer on the lamp. Thre is a school of thought that lamping a dog encourages it to pull up at

they are hunting dogs pal, take game day or night what goes on in your heads

well if your lamping dog doesent hit hedges i wouldnt rate it much its a must for me in a lamping dog,seen some great coursing dogs work the lamp very very well pal,great way of getting them fit, geti

Ask a couple of coursing men on here if they lamp there coursing dogs i think most of them will not :) This is one reason why i wouldnt 1. you take a dog coursing it will smash through hedgebacks chasing quarry and you average dog on the lamp stops at a hedgeback so if your coursing dog went on the lamp and started stopping at hedgeback that would be no good during the day IMO

I must disagree with that statement.

Although I don't own coursing dogs I use my dogs on both day and night. My beddy/grey will smash through cover after quarry during the day. But come time the lamps out it's a different dog and if he misses a slip lamp off, soon followed by the dog to be collared up again.

Thats why i said everyone has their own opinion thats just what i think

Everyone has there own opinion im not crabbing any dogs or any style or anything just explaining from what ive seen lads

different type of dog you want a strong runner on lamp but in day you want a fast racy runer

I think the type of dog you require depends on the ground you run it on

.Daytime fast ,racy dogs are fine for small land, but can be exposed on big land if they do not pick up quickly, because top end speed, and stamina do not often go together,in my experience.

Stamina comes into play if you are out lamping for several hours,or all night , pushing the limits of the dogs, but lots of lampers just go out for a few runs so big time endurance is not really essential for their requirements.

There are so many imponderables involved, Its difficult to have hard and fast rules about it,imo.

• Like 1

Everyone has there own opinion im not crabbing any dogs or any style or anything just explaining from what ive seen lads

different type of dog you want a strong runner on lamp but in day you want a fast racy runer

I think the type of dog you require depends on the ground you run it on

.Daytime fast ,racy dogs are fine for small land, but can be exposed on big land if they do not pick up quickly, because top end speed, and stamina do not often go together,in my experience.

Stamina comes into play if you are out lamping for several hours,or all night , pushing the limits of the dogs, but lots of lampers just go out for a few runs so big time endurance is not really essential for their requirements.

There are so many imponderables involved, Its difficult to have hard and fast rules about it,imo.

agree the land hunt is small cumbria way

ive found if their doing day and night work from youngsters then theres not so much of a problem but if they have only been used for daywork and suddenly you use a older dog or pup on the lamp you can get a fair few accidents .got the vets bill from last year to prove it, never did much lamping with my two youngsters as only really keep them for daytime ,but started them late in season on the lamp and tbh shut my eyes every time i slipped them the one cost me couple of quid under a grand in the vets and the other will not be running the lamp this year as he is crazy behind anything and bad enough in day when he can see where he his going but on the lamp he just goes through or over anything that he runs .

ive found if their doing day and night work from youngsters then theres not so much of a problem but if they have only been used for daywork and suddenly you use a older dog or pup on the lamp you can get a fair few accidents .got the vets bill from last year to prove it, never did much lamping with my two youngsters as only really keep them for daytime ,but started them late in season on the lamp and tbh shut my eyes every time i slipped them the one cost me couple of quid under a grand in the vets and the other will not be running the lamp this year as he is crazy behind anything and bad enough in day when he can see where he his going but on the lamp he just goes through or over anything that he runs .

so what would ye expect a lamp dog to do, pull up or go around stuff?? :icon_eek:

Hi J, sorry to hear of your bad luck ,my black & tan Rainer cost me over £2000 when he dislocated his leg in Lincs, I've a new pup to run this year ,it would be nice to see you, and chew the fat. I will be at the Festival Of Hunting on the Peterborough Showground and there for the East Of England Show, maybe we will meet up at one of them?Good Hunting .T

Hi J, sorry to hear of your bad luck ,my black & tan Rainer cost me over £2000 when he dislocated his leg in Lincs, I've a new pup to run this year ,it would be nice to see you, and chew the fat. I will be at the Festival Of Hunting on the Peterborough Showground and there for the East Of England Show, maybe we will meet up at one of them?Good Hunting .T

yes be good to see you t probally be at the 2 of them .

Most dogs will do both, but the fact is, most coursing lads live for coursing and lamping is just something extra, so why would they risk a days coursing by injuring there dog by lamping a few days previous. Also it depends on what there lamping. Short dashes after rabbits are usually not the problem.