Moving to Germany!

Hi trying to find if there is any German lads on here as I'm moving to Hameln in sept with the army, taking my 3/4 russel 1/4 bull with me and russel x Lakeland bitch with me, will be more to test them on but want to know what the hunting is like over there. I know it's a bit more relaxed than here but has anyone got any experience over there? Cheers

Lol a bit more relaxed you have a shock coming mate ..... You need a hunting license and a hunting permit .... As a national this takes about 6 weekends worth of courses with a test you must pass at the end ...... As a soldier it is slightly relaxed but is still time consuming .........

I have the German hunting licence and it took a lot longer than six weekends lol.

It entailed two days at uni per week and shooting at weekends for months, it had a pass rate of roughly 50% in the 90's it may be different now.

As a non German you will be allowed to do the same test ( written) in your own language, I am not sure how the oral exam works for non German speakers as I did the lot in German.

You can get a foreigners hunting licence ( Ausländer jagdschein) but you do have to do the tests.

I can see no easy way around it, and as for being relaxed you are far wrong. The laws may be liberal but the responsibility is more pronounced.

They have a completely different system to us as far as land / permission goes too.

Waidmannsheil!!!

Ive got a German hunting permit, but only a 'tourist' one. If youve got a UK shotgun lisensce or FAC take it with you as you might be able to get out for a hunt if your invited, which will probably do you studying for the test proper a lot of good.

You can hunt without a German licence if you are a guest of a hunter, I believe. PM erik off here, he is a good lad and will sort you out with some sport I am sure. You are also excellently placed to get into eastern Europe and meet others like Panna and Matoulkah (not sure on that spelling). Be careful of breed specific legislation in some German states. If you are taking any guns with you make sure you jump through all the hoops that BFG insist upon before you actually import the weapons. This will involve you giving up your UK FAC/SGC.

Won't be taking any guns I looked it up and and apperently have to be a guest hunter for a year before having to apply for a license so need to find a new freind quickly and you have to pay for permission up to £100 an acre ??? Probably be better off getting a new weapon over, how do you think our terriers will adapt to badger? And do you think it's a good idea as I will be back in the uk in a couple of year, and the dogs will be after badger?

I guess you are in a Corps then. If you are a Senior or Officer you could try the British Forces Game Shooting Association. Try Google or Arrse. I don't know how the dogs will get on with badger, but make sure you keep written records of any digs and vet treatment afterwards. On arrival back in the UK you may get some awkward questions if the dogs show signs of working badger, but as long as you can prove it was in a country where it was legal, and that the dogs were seen by a vet, then you should be OK. This is my opinion only, and is NOT legal advice. The best thing would probably to phone Clive Reese and ask his opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have hunted in Germany myself with my terriers.

There is a site you maybe aware of called Yeswehunt Europe. There used to be a link on Fieldsports TV page I dont know if its still on.

This site could put you in touch with people who are hunting in Germany using all methods of hunting. They will be up to date with all the legal requirements you would need.

I have used this site to exchange a few days hunting and shooting within Europe.

Being a serving soldier myself as you will be aware we do tend to get around quiet a bit lol.

I am currently in North Yorkshire and in my last couple of years. If you are up in this area give me a shout.

Hope this helps.

Regards Willy

Hi,

I have hunted in Germany myself with my terriers.

There is a site you maybe aware of called Yeswehunt Europe. There used to be a link on Fieldsports TV page I dont know if its still on.

This site could put you in touch with people who are hunting in Germany using all methods of hunting. They will be up to date with all the legal requirements you would need.

I have used this site to exchange a few days hunting and shooting within Europe.

Being a serving soldier myself as you will be aware we do tend to get around quiet a bit lol.

I am currently in North Yorkshire and in my last couple of years. If you are up in this area give me a shout.

Hope this helps.

Regards Willy

Cheers for the site will look it up, I'm in Maidstone kent at the moment I need to hurry up and go now, I'm from Manchester so not usually up near Yorkshire but will let you know if I'm ever up that way cheers