What accuracy should you expect to see from a FAC air rifle ?

As above folks, am looking at buying a brand new Daystate huntsman in FAC in a fortnight for my birthday.

However I want to know what sort of accuracy I should expect to get from it ?

30 fps . . . . . At 50 yards could I expect a 5 shot group to be half inch and under or is it a case of lucky to get a 1 inch group at 50 yards ? Also how about 60 yards ?

Is more power a compromise on accuracy with FAC air ?

Regards

Matt

I saw a chap with a AAS410 Extra regulated running at 32fp shooting tight groups at 80 yards that would put most .22 rimfires to shame, He had already owned other makes in FAC but said the AA was best dont forget with air rifles you have to find the right pellet to get the best out of the gun.

lots of variables, not only rifle but the ammo, elements (weather) and most importantly the person behind the gun...

it takes alot of time and patience to develop the skill...

atb...

Snap.

I have a hand-built Huntsman XL running at 40 ft lbs and the main thing I would say is that you can only really expected 15-20 decent shots at that power level and the POI can drop quite quickly so it is really useful to spend an afternoon testing 3 or 4 types of heavy pellets - I tend to use Bisley Magnums and putting I would say 40-50 of each pellet through, charging after 20 shots and record the drops at range. Use chairgun too and make a range card with notes relating to drops at different pressures.

I managed a sub -1 inch group at 85 yards after a bit of practice in good conditions. Also, the barrel is obviously fully floating within the shroud, connected only at the breach end. There is a barrel band strap which links the air cylinder to the shroud but still the shroud will have a small amount of play to allow to harmonics etc, if you knock the shroud you can shift the POI so I normally try and stick a 5 shot group at 50 yards before hunting.

What power are you looking at getting and will it be standard or XL air tube?

Good luck!

Matt --

I use all sorts of stuff for Pest Control and until about 2 years ago 'poo poo'd' air rifles as 'toys'.

However, since being shown the error of my ways, the majority of vermin (rabbits, rats, ferals - pigeon etc.) are all taken with FAC Air.

Having found the right pellet for your barrel (mine loves the Defient 18gn FAC 5.52) I can put a group out to 80 yards you could cover with your thumb nail !

As Markman said above, as with everything, you need to practice - and know your ranges and holdovers. But once mastered, you will be able to confidently dispatch your quarry humanely.

Mine (a BSA Scorpion / Hornet hybrid - the Scornet ;-) is running at 32 ft-lbs ish (so doing 905 fps) and as it is a regulated gun, I am getting no more than a 5 fps variance across the 35 shots (before if falls off the regulator.) More than enough for an outing, then it only take 30 seconds to charge it up again back at the truck.

Scorpion1.jpg

OK, they don't have the energy of a rimfire, but there are significant benefits in where you can safely use an FAC Air rifle. I regularly use mine in Urban environments, Church Yards (no risk of damage to headstones) and on school playing fields, without the worry of the problems a .22LR and zingers.

Regards

JonP

Edited by JonP666

People can put sub inch groups with air rifles at 12flbs do the extra power in a pcp should only improve the accuracy

Lewis

Entirely disagree.

The extra power will make no difference to accuracy at all. The extra speed might mean slightly shorter time in flight, so windage may be slightly less, but other than that the power is completely irrelevant.

In fact, unless the rifle is set to FAC levels from the factory, or properly set up by an experienced gunsmith, the accuracy is likely to be adversely affected.

I know people who can group under a half inch at 65 yards with a sub 12 ft.lb air rifle, so if yours is set up properly and you know what you're doing, it should do similar!

I have to agree with Matt above.

Unless you are using your air rifle for Pest Control at longer ranges (where extra energy for humane dispatch is essential), or targets like bells out at silly distances, then a 12 ft-lbs jobby can be just as accurate and, if anything, more fun - as there are extra skills to be mastered.

Experimenting with makes and sizes of pellets - then practicing . . . is often the most cost effective way of improving your setup, rather than blaming the gun and chopping it in for a more expensive bit of kit - only to be disappointed.

I shot 'professionally' and one of my most useful and enjoyable pastimes is the occasional HFT round.

You learn so much about distances and your gun, it ought to be obligitory . . . . a bit like a CBT for motorcyclists.

Now theres an idea !!! ;-)

Regards

JonP

JonP666, I fully agree with you and do dabble with HFT but alot of my rabbit shooting is amongst long grass and regulary 60 yards shots for my pest control and my sub 12fp .177 even at 25-35 yards reggularly struggles to make it to the target in the longer grass ! Where as a 30fpe bisley mag in .22 is going to do the job just nice :-D

Before anyone says .22lr, no thanks been there not enjoyed it and its not usable on my pemitions either so this is what i want ! :)

More energy/weight isn't going to help the pellet if there is an obstruction in the way, even if it's just a blade of grass! A single blade of grass can deflect a .308, 150gr bullet pushing out 3000 ft.lb, you reckon it won't do the same to an air rifle pellet? If the grass is too tall, either cut it or shoot from an elevated position, don't expect to be able to shoot through the grass!

I agree again with Matt above (twice in one thread - impressive.)

An accurately placed shot ensures the humane dispatch, and anything that could deviate from that should be 'considered' / avoided.

But, I've told you a million times Matt - don't exaggerate ! :tongue2:

For your .308 150gn to be doing 3000 ft-lbs it would need to be flying along at 3000 fps. That would be one hell of a hot load . . . !

But for the other Matt (Salop Sniper) - Why not just cut your grass ! :D

Regards

JonP

Edited by JonP666