Latest knife taking shape

Bolsters fitted using 3mm brass rods, needs a little further polishing but pleased with the result

IMG-20120706-00002.jpg

Next to fill the filework and then hopefully get the brass liners and scales on :thumbs:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally finished the knife and Im rather pleased with the outcome. What started out as an old saw blade has been recycled into something completely new and individual From this   To this

Thanks matt too late on the filling already done but I used a black epoxy putty thought it would be easier to handle being as Im a beginner . As for scales I was gonna use some ivory linen micarta bu

its your sunday best knife !! you need to be very proud of it , it is superb !!

thats is great work !!!

id leave filling the file work till the liner and scales are fitted , let the serplus glue fill the holes , if you use the pigment in all the glue it will do the work for you !!

this one is gonna be great !! im really impressed .

all the best matt

Thanks matt too late on the filling already done but I used a black epoxy putty thought it would be easier to handle being as Im a beginner :) . As for scales I was gonna use some ivory linen micarta but Ive had to change my plans as I couldnt get any that were wide enough, so Im open to suggestions really.

Atb

Ade

• Like 1

thats should be hard one not hard on :icon_redface:

can i be honest ?

that wood is terrieble , if you can remember the damascus skinner i did a few months back the scales that cracked and came off where that exact same wood from the same batch as that , i actualy bought it because there big and i needed to handle large blades , so back to the drawing borad .

you could allways make your own micarta ? will fit perfect then , linen is cheap and everything else that goes into it is to , you tube making micarta lots of vids , halfords sell fibre glass resin and the fabric cant be hard to find ?

I had thought of that Matt after seeing someone on here making micarta out of denim. I shall search again and see if I can find some if not then yeah I might have a go, what about buffalo horn as suggested by gafer?

Almost got the liners shaped now , dont think Ill finish them today so will put a pic up tomorrow.

buffalo horn is my fav ever material to work with , you probably will be able to buy a whole horn off ebay for very little !! and with the curve of the horn and handle a good chance of a nice fit yeah i like the idea well worth a try and buffalo horn is realy nice to work by hand it cuts and drills well and as you know it will take an amasing polish , making micarta is messy busines and dust stuff to work !!

try it brass and black horn will look beautiful i think !! and with the liners and black back fill of the file work it has a constant theme as well .

its great fun this and its great your letting us all have input !!

all the best , matt

Cheers Matt Buffalo horn it is then!, its been great doing this and indeed a learning curve as Ive never done anything like this before and therefore yours and other members input has been extremely helpful. Have got the liners cut, drilled and shaped so will post a pic tomorrow :thumbs:

Atb

Ade

yeah its beautiful stuff , and the black/brass looks very classical and refined !!

whats next after this bad boy ?

there is so many lads on here doing this now its great to see , we will have to have a knife making weekend or something where everyone who comes can partisipate , cant do it at my house tho , if any of you guys know of a farm with out buildings etc that has power etc i can bring a forge or two and the big grinder and we could have a great time of it !

what you all think ?