ferreting dogs

this will be my second ferreting season had a fairly good one last year but lost a lot of bolted rabbits which a fast dog could of easily made up for, so this year i'm thinking about getting a ferreting dog been talking to a few lads they mostly work pure whippet, but a couple of blokes i spoke to had beddy x whippet crosses they reconed that a pure whippet get injured to easily and a beddy x toughens em up. whats your lads opinions pictures appreciated aswell

ATB

Hound

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be honest mate, for me 'ferreting' involves using a dog.   I know what you are saying and i think with you it's a little different. I think i probably WOULD do it with no dog a time or two, maybe

I would go for something with a bit coat mate for standing aboot on the cold winter days, collie x,s are my choice for the ferreting game

reading your post mate never mind the mutt learn to set nets

Posted Images

I'd go back through some of the threads on here mate, there are so many of them.

Almost any type of lurcher will do well at ferreting and every lurcher man/woman will have their own opinion on each cross breed. I've always had collie/grey or whippet/grey/collie and rate them very highly for the daytime work. But it doesn't mean i wont have another breeding in the future. If your going for a pup, then try and get some info on what the parents have done. Also you might get a pup that is very young for the forthcoming season, so do you have anyone that has a good seasoned lurcher that can show it the ropes.

ive seen a fair few ferreting dogs since the eighties, some very good beddy crosses, but also seen some stand out collie crosses, the concentration level on some of these have been outstanding a joy to watch.

cheers lads, my grandads got a whippet that he works ferreting its only had 2 seasons but works fairly well if i was to get a pup then i'd take it out with his dog to show it the ropes, the moneys and times right now for me to get one so i'll have a look about

ive seen a fair few ferreting dogs since the eighties, some very good beddy crosses, but also seen some stand out collie crosses, the concentration level on some of these have been outstanding a joy to watch.

Thats what i like about the collie cross, they will stick to the job alot better than most. they also seem to figure out what is going on below a lot better. I'm not knock the beddy cross tho, seen some goodens but i think the collie cross suits me better.

Thats what i like about the collie cross, they will stick to the job alot better than most. they also seem to figure out what is going on below a lot better. I'm not knock the beddy cross tho, seen some goodens but i think the collie cross suits me better.

i like the collie cross a great deal had a few over the years. a good mate had beddy crosses for 30 years and owned a few crackers. as you have said its what suits the individual but for me hand on heart the best ferreting dogs i have seen have been collie crosses. :thumbs:

Any lurcher type will do I would imagine. I go ferreting with a Border Terrier, a x terrier, a deerhound x and a Labrador, they all have their place and all do a different job. The lurcher is the one who won two lamping competitions on here with LDR - Bruce. He's getting on a bit these days but loves going ferreting. When I get organised I'll put some pics up of them all at work.

Any lurcher type will do I would imagine. I go ferreting with a Border Terrier, a x terrier, a deerhound x and a Labrador, they all have their place and all do a different job. The lurcher is the one who won two lamping competitions on here with LDR - Bruce. He's getting on a bit these days but loves going ferreting. When I get organised I'll put some pics up of them all at work.

good old Bruce... a top dog in my book.