• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This "socialize your pit bull and it'll be fine with other dogs" thing that's been going around has really got to stop. It makes every soccer mom think they can/should rescue one, and that's exactly w

Standard pattys as you call them have faced things much heavier than twenty pound coons,and it was done in the dark by himself.I would consider that a much greater test for a dog rather than four or f

IMO there are only 2 reasons that someone would hold a camera closely to a terrier that's in bad condition. 1. your in the vetinary buisiness and will use the photos in lectures etc. 2. your new to

Posted Images

Some of the best ones you can hope for. The probably I seen as we have done this and now working on the 3rd generation down from the original cross is the 50/50 pit / patty are truly 50 / 50 at getting good hunters. We are using the best bulldog blood in the states. These dogs have wind, gameness, and smarts which many pits IMO don't. It is the quality of the bulldog here that is helping. But back to point, the crosses of 50 /50 are good but never has good as the 25% or 1/8 crosses. The 50 /50 are producers when they are bred to quality patterdales. I have one that is 25% bull and the dog is absolutely the best hunter. To big for ground at 22lbs but he tries his damnest too! Far as above ground, nothing has whooped him and nothing as escape him and he will be the foundation to my little terriers. I will probably go another generation or two before I add any more bull blood in them again. I think every 5 to 6 generations it will help but with the way I cull it might be longer. We are looking for the best and average or good won't cut it. The dog I speak of isn't even 2 years old and the bitches are being lined up to go to him. This guy is an absolute monster! The other draw back to the 50 / 50 is dog aggression at times and sometimes it is unbarable. This guys sire was a great hunter by himself, any other dog or female, he forgot the game and wanted the dog is the draw back but again using quality pit bulldog blood is the key and draw back at the same time. This little dog pictured has over 10 coons under his belt by himself, not a bit of help in tight spaces too! Over 50 oppossums, 25 ground hogs and just hasn't got lucky enough to find a fox this season. All this game was taken in the last 5 months!

015.jpg

282904_375480792501499_1356848410_n.jpg

With all due respect mister this dog doesn't look like he's ever had a tooth laid on him.

I remember on these hunts there were some big ones... The biggest one we ever got with a terrier was 36lbs weighed on a scale...They dont go out easy...

x0v5zn.jpg

35hkzef.jpg

2nakylk.jpg

Edited by rc1
  • Like 2

scooter are you 7' 2" ?

i've taken over 800 coons with terriers and never broke the 36lb mark. i know some fellas from the dakotas also looking for the mystical 40 lb coon, they havent found him yet either.

Good for you, I have taken thousands and the biggest i ever got with dogs was 38LB.Never said these were taken with terriers! They were taking while combineing corn and thats what they weighed so take it for what it is

Pits x patts are not for everyone or the end all. But if everyone across the pond had such great earthdogs then why have all of you tried the crosses? No matter what, everyone is looking for the best they can acquire and hunt with. Jags, jacks, patts were all made because everyones needs are different.

Most of the folks in the US that keep patts or bulldog X terrier crosses could give a shit about any club. The terriers and crosses are kept out of necessity in the field, and for every big internet terrierman here there are

10 guys you never heard of with harder hunted dogs.

And liamdelaney, sms said no coons smaller than 20... As in 20 is small, 40 is big. We have game here like your wildest hunting fantasy! There is no shortage of opportunities to see what a dog is capable of here.

40 is that all,I am old enough to have done badger digging when it was legal,black dogs still do it regular in France(dogs that came from this neck of the woods)as i stated he does it by himself in the dark,badgers also live in family groups but one dog does the business.Oh sorry did i forget to mention badgers reach 50 to 60 puonds
  • Like 1

Have some faith in your fellow hunters Bad Bob. It's true that they always seem bigger than they are but if they can make it to 36 pounds what's 4 extra pounds? My biggest ever weighed was 27 pounds and I have been on thousands of coons as well. Should I then discredit those who have caught bigger?

I don't know anything about Bull dogs or the crosses except what I've heard. I don't think jagds have any pit in them and I've seen some very powerfully built very hard dogs. Makes me wonder if the talk of having to add bull dog for those qualities is true. I know a guy who breeds some super stout white dogs and I asked if he added bulldog somewhere in there to get the grit and strength his dogs exhibit. He said no way in hell and no way would he ever do it. He kept bull dogs as well. he just didn't think the two types were complimentary.