• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This "socialize your pit bull and it'll be fine with other dogs" thing that's been going around has really got to stop. It makes every soccer mom think they can/should rescue one, and that's exactly w

Standard pattys as you call them have faced things much heavier than twenty pound coons,and it was done in the dark by himself.I would consider that a much greater test for a dog rather than four or f

IMO there are only 2 reasons that someone would hold a camera closely to a terrier that's in bad condition. 1. your in the vetinary buisiness and will use the photos in lectures etc. 2. your new to

Posted Images

The half cross mainly ends up on the large side & too big for earth work so they get used at the end of the dig, yes you can get big & small in all litters I've been with the ones that are the right size for earth work & the ones that are not , IMO a pat is equally as game as a pitty pat, putting bull bloo into them starts to put them on the large side & then it's generation of breeding to get that right size your wanting, I may be talking a lot of s***e but this is what I've found while working & mating my dog to these bull x

I think some are overlooking the fact that some of the mixes are not going to be used for traditional earth work, I don't want to speak on behalf of Main or any other in the US but if you use a pure Patterdale for coyotes or large game you will be sending your dog to its death. I have noticed that the crosses that I have start as early as any, It nice to have a dog you can rat with, then take and catch a feral hog. Most of the guys in the states want mute dogs and game bred pits are still plentiful, its a matter of getting a line of smaller pits and well bred patts. Selection, hunt, ,culling, rebreeding cures all issues within.

I think some are overlooking the fact that some of the mixes are not going to be used for traditional earth work, I don't want to speak on behalf of Main or any other in the US but if you use a pure Patterdale for coyotes or large game you will be sending your dog to its death. I have noticed that the crosses that I have start as early as any, It nice to have a dog you can rat with, then take and catch a feral hog. Most of the guys in the states want mute dogs and game bred pits are still plentiful, its a matter of getting a line of smaller pits and well bred patts. Selection, hunt, ,culling, rebreeding cures all issues within.

Exact right. With the crosses I have especially our 50/50 crosses, we use them for barn work, brushing or back up in a sense by theirselves if they are DA and if not turn 3,4 or more terriers loose in a old barn/ country stead. We use them for above ground action, we have coons and game that is plentiful and the occassion dickhead coyote who thinks he can take advantage of our small terriers. Once the 1/4 bulldog into 3/4 ground terriers, the size shrinks quite a bit, getting an slightly above size terrier being 17-25lbs, tons of mouth with looks more to the patterdale side than bulldog for us, these dogs go to ground sometimes, good for working drainage tunnels and brush well!!! From there on out far as breeding and what comes down from this 3rd and 4th and so on in generation is a very useful terrier with more gameness, mouth and better bone structures - THESE CAN GO TO GROUND! These dogs are more durable than most pure pattys, they are not bayers - they are scrapers! These dogs are used in different ways but I want mine to die in gameness instead of being a bayer. I want hardcore dogs that will fight the devil himself if it comes to it!!! The size of the coons, groundhogs and foxes in the midwest are big. We have not had a coon in 2012 under 20lbs, these are mean fighting boar coons. We had one come out a tree to square off, this mofo wasn't scared at all; my dog pictured here proved his gameness but a standard patty would have had his hands full and I mean full! I have been experimenting with a crew of a 2 patterdales (ground size) and then keeping my pitterpatter on top. Soon as they bolt the hole or withdraw the game, the pitter patter is let go and ends the situation immediately which is helping the pattys to not get as chewed up. Seeming to work well for us and not even full blown hunting season yet.

The thing you have to keep in mind with terriers or any dog for that matter. The dogs only have so much time on their clock, I don't care what type of combat or work it is, the more abuse they take the less time you have working them. I see these guys with pattys that look like they have been mauled by a bear and they hunt little game but that is still wear and tear. What does this do for the dog? What does this do for the preservation of that blood if that animals dies at 4 years vs. 10 or more years? Nothing, save the clock on the dog as much as possible. Yes dogs are easily replaced but the damn good ones that are dead game hunting SOBS, you got to watch out for them because they care more about taking care of the game for you than their own well being. The next generation of great dogs you produce might come from having that extra back up from a cross like the pitter patter. These are not for everyone by far but if you need more than a patty, tougher than a jagd ( no offense to anyone, I mean no disrespect) and smarter than a bulldog the pitter patter is a cross.

Last thing. Far as curs and breeding, go ahead and keep breeding them and I will keep posting my pictures of won game and I will keep kicking your ass. A cur is a cur and they have no place being bred, period! You can justify any way you want but culling the curs, keeping the good game ones, you will be alright. Any young guys if you live your dogs by these rules you will never have to look back on what you did wrong because you knew you did you best. Never breed bullshit and never sell bullshit and you will never deal with bullshit.

Edited by showmespeed
  • Like 4

this is a good read just out of interest what way would you cross these ie; patt dog over pit bitch and then a patt dog over the half cross bitch or visa versa

Very interesting conversation and new topic should be started for that. I would love to hear others on this as well. IMO, bitches dominate the gene pool. I build around bitches and never a stud.

• Like 4

Exact right. With the crosses I have especially our 50/50 crosses, we use them for barn work, brushing or back up in a sense by theirselves if they are DA and if not turn 3,4 or more terriers loose in a old barn/ country stead. We use them for above ground action, we have coons and game that is plentiful and the occassion dickhead coyote who thinks he can take advantage of our small terriers. Once the 1/4 bulldog into 3/4 ground terriers, the size shrinks quite a bit, getting an slightly above size terrier being 17-25lbs, tons of mouth with looks more to the patterdale side than bulldog for us, these dogs go to ground sometimes, good for working drainage tunnels and brush well!!! From there on out far as breeding and what comes down from this 3rd and 4th and so on in generation is a very useful terrier with more gameness, mouth and better bone structures - THESE CAN GO TO GROUND! These dogs are more durable than most pure pattys, they are not bayers - they are scrapers! These dogs are used in different ways but I want mine to die in gameness instead of being a bayer. I want hardcore dogs that will fight the devil himself if it comes to it!!! The size of the coons, groundhogs and foxes in the midwest are big. We have not had a coon in 2012 under 20lbs, these are mean fighting boar coons. We had one come out a tree to square off, this mofo wasn't scared at all; my dog pictured here proved his gameness but a standard patty would have had his hands full and I mean full! I have been experimenting with a crew of a 2 patterdales (ground size) and then keeping my pitterpatter on top. Soon as they bolt the hole or withdraw the game, the pitter patter is let go and ends the situation immediately which is helping the pattys to not get as chewed up. Seeming to work well for us and not even full blown hunting season yet.

The thing you have to keep in mind with terriers or any dog for that matter. The dogs only have so much time on their clock, I don't care what type of combat or work it is, the more abuse they take the less time you have working them. I see these guys with pattys that look like they have been mauled by a bear and they hunt little game but that is still wear and tear. What does this do for the dog? What does this do for the preservation of that blood if that animals dies at 4 years vs. 10 or more years? Nothing, save the clock on the dog as much as possible. Yes dogs are easily replaced but the damn good ones that are dead game hunting SOBS, you got to watch out for them because they care more about taking care of the game for you than their own well being. The next generation of great dogs you produce might come from having that extra back up from a cross like the pitter patter. These are not for everyone by far but if you need more than a patty, tougher than a jagd ( no offense to anyone, I mean no disrespect) and smarter than a bulldog the pitter patter is a cross.

Last thing. Far as curs and breeding, go ahead and keep breeding them and I will keep posting my pictures of won game and I will keep kicking your ass. A cur is a cur and they have no place being bred, period! You can justify any way you want but culling the curs, keeping the good game ones, you will be alright. Any young guys if you live your dogs by these rules you will never have to look back on what you did wrong because you knew you did you best. Never breed bullshit and never sell bullshit and you will never deal with bullshit.

that x sounds fine for above ground work, but you get a dog that would fight the devil then sooner or later he'll meet the devil in a deep place and fail or meet his end , ususally before he's 2.

admire the thought you've put into your type of hunting though, and admire the freedoms you enjoy

• Like 1

good shit... pix please lol

what u call line bred pit x patt .. a pure patt lol i hate ' pitter patt' ... they dont call wheeler dogs staffer patt ...lol.

There is probably already talk of a pitterpat club of America :laugh:

Standard pattys as you call them have faced things much heavier than twenty pound coons,and it was done in the dark by himself.I would consider that a much greater test for a dog rather than four or five dogs swinging from a coon in a barn.Any cur dog will get stuck in and be fearless when he has back up.We put down such dogs.
  • Like 12

good shit... pix please lol

what u call line bred pit x patt .. a pure patt lol i hate ' pitter patt' ... they dont call wheeler dogs staffer patt ...lol.

There is probably already talk of a pitterpat club of America :laugh:

Yeah & they'll be queing up to pay to register their dogs out of HOF parents so they can sell theyre pups and become HOF, By the way in case you dont know what HOF means, it means 'Bred the arse out of'.

• Like 1

Most of the folks in the US that keep patts or bulldog X terrier crosses could give a shit about any club. The terriers and crosses are kept out of necessity in the field, and for every big internet terrierman here there are

10 guys you never heard of with harder hunted dogs.

And liamdelaney, sms said no coons smaller than 20... As in 20 is small, 40 is big. We have game here like your wildest hunting fantasy! There is no shortage of opportunities to see what a dog is capable of here.

...And although I don't hunt more than one dog at a time, the guys that put several down do so out of necessity. Coons are clanish and are often found in family groups. There were plenty of times my one bitch got on a coon and 5 or 6 more escaped. That's why they put down multiple dogs; not so they can gangbang

Most of the folks in the US that keep patts or bulldog X terrier crosses could give a shit about any club. The terriers and crosses are kept out of necessity in the field, and for every big internet terrierman here there are

10 guys you never heard of with harder hunted dogs.

And liamdelaney, sms said no coons smaller than 20... As in 20 is small, 40 is big. We have game here like your wildest hunting fantasy! There is no shortage of opportunities to see what a dog is capable of here.

kaw throw up a pic of a 40lb coon will ya please...