• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This "socialize your pit bull and it'll be fine with other dogs" thing that's been going around has really got to stop. It makes every soccer mom think they can/should rescue one, and that's exactly w

Standard pattys as you call them have faced things much heavier than twenty pound coons,and it was done in the dark by himself.I would consider that a much greater test for a dog rather than four or f

IMO there are only 2 reasons that someone would hold a camera closely to a terrier that's in bad condition. 1. your in the vetinary buisiness and will use the photos in lectures etc. 2. your new to

Posted Images

Gnasher they improve head and bone in terriers, sometimes they end up too hard though :thumbs:

But can the physical benefits not be gained through any type bull terrier ?......are they not too dog aggressive ?.....

ive a few here that are a quarter apbt-no real problems with dog aggression-well i wouldnt let them off the lead around strange dogs.The size of them is very variable though -from an 11lb bitch to a dog that id say is 35lb +.The other 3 ive seen lately(all siblings) are a useful sort of size (18-24lb id say).

Gnasher they improve head and bone in terriers, sometimes they end up too hard though :thumbs:

But can the physical benefits not be gained through any type bull terrier ?......are they not too dog aggressive ?.....

ive a few here that are a quarter apbt-no real problems with dog aggression-well i wouldnt let them off the lead around strange dogs.The size of them is very variable though -from an 11lb bitch to a dog that id say is 35lb +.The other 3 ive seen lately(all siblings) are a useful sort of size (18-24lb id say).

TT do you find some that have not gone to ground as readily as a pure bred terrier?

TT do you find some that have not gone to ground as readily as a pure bred terrier?

Their mother did no problem-but some of her siblings didnt-they werent exactly given time to mature though(had to give a pup for the service of apbt,owner got jail,pup too much for his girlfriend-moved on to a thorough fucki..ng ape...id say you can fill in the rest yourself.).Being too big for some places is the main problem rather than not wanting to go.

• Like 1

Interesing read for sure, I just use my Lurchers for the bolters and to do the heaving lifting, my terriers are small but never had a problem hunting them, but I do mostly only underground work.. Never seen a cross work but the ones I seen were to big for me or to small, to big for ground and to small and slow for runnin big game.. I would like to see some work for sure!!

my big bitch has the most bull of all my dogs. she is the slowest to anger. :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Like all breedings they are too individual to make too many general statements about. Most guys breed pet bred pitbulls, or staffs to good working terrier blood and put them in the same catagory as some of us that used perfomance bred pitbulls from blood that is top of the food chain in their given work.

A 50/50 cross IS NOT too big for earthwork IF bred from the correct bulldogs. In fact a pure bred pit dog that is small is NOT too big for European earth work.

Anything less than 1/4 ANYTHING will hardly give you any significant effects.

A 50/50 will do excellent work above, and below for larger earth dwellers.

There are millions of breedings happening with different results every day. No 2 breedings of digging dogs will be alike same as no 50/50 crosses. For those that have done anything only a handful of times to think they can completely be certain of ALL that "can" happen with similar breedings is silly.

What one can say is what were the results from breedings they have personally done.

In my case I have done 50/50 breedings that produced dogs under 20 lbs that hunt European game below ground very well, and do what I want top side here. Not to mention unlike most here that fear the coyote as he stalks and occasionally races in and attempts to abduct their terriers I instead hunt coyotes right back whenever possible and let the chips fall.

If you only have tradtional bred terriers and your happy with them cool. Me personally I'd get bored doing the same thing over, and over, and over. I'd throw a curve once in a while and do something totally off the wall just to see.

The fellas that were the creators (not just the custodians) of all the "breeds" many of you preserve today I believe are laughing in their graves when many of you cop an elitist attitude and suggest your dogs are pure anything. Call a dog by the name given to their work and leave it at that imo.

Below are a few of my bulldogs from the past that are in the hunting terriers I breed today. The buckskin was a 25lb, and the other two were 28, and 30 lbs and as you can see were VERY narrow and not bulldoggy at all but were ALL bulldog. Enjoy the hunt. I enjoy my time in the field and doing it my way. Regards

skizzy.png

army1i.jpg

sirish1xwcallnamecrappi.jpg

Edited by MainAttraction!
  • Like 2

Main, I 100% agree with you, I know we have discussed this before. I have a high water table,sandy soil and thick brush, so my digs are usually shallow and tunneling, so a larger dog is not a problem. Coyotes are quickly becoming a problem here also and I am managing my dogs to be able to stop this invasive species. As most things in the climate here our coyotes are usually not as big as the western species, so I am not as concerned with a size difference. Who is the bitch in the top pic, she is a beauty.

DavidR:

Thats my foundation bitch Kizzy. She is a grand mother of the bulldog Waylon I used in my 1st cross. She was a sweet heart with people but meaner than snot with anything else that had fur.

KawValley:

I hunt mostly wetlands/swamp lands for coon, and beaver that destroy levee's. All other specie my dogs catch are incidental (Badgers, skunks, possum, coyotes, etc).

However,

I find coyotes to be the most fascinating, and most challenging of all predators in my area. Often their is reference made about "that wise old fox", etc when in fact its common knowledge that coyotes are way smarter than fox and eat fox on site.

They are VERY clever. I hunt probably 75% of the time at night and if you pay close attention coyotes are readily seen 40 yards off to either side of us in cover, and are very tempted to fly in and snatch up a terrier, but their fear of humans keeps most of them at bay. Notice I said "most" of them. I have had them fly in and nail my dogs several times, but when they realize they have locked on to something that loves the contact and is not defensive but instead capable of inflecting a devistating offense the coyote will make a strong effort to bolt. If you don't have atleast two 20 lb terriers attached he is extremely difficult to anchor down. In all the hunts I've had and different specie my coyote encounters have proved to be the most challenging and intense. When I see them I will lip squeak and kick their predatory instincts over the edge and get them to come in at times but often they will get hung up and not come in close and some will booger bark at you like a pissed off farm dog.

I believe they are the pinnacle of dog work topside. To date I have taken one large very dominant male, and had one of my dogs pick up scent and enter a pipe that ran into the middle of a hillside that met a coyote that was bedded down deep in the tube, rumbled with him, and drew him.

There are also feral pigs in many of the places I go and I've bolted a few but have not got one. If you would like to read more of my ramblings regarding my hunting, dogs, attitudes on breeding terriers, terrier work from personal experiences, etc click on the link below. Happy hunting to you

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/216742-enjoyed-reading-about-yours-here-is-a-lil-about-mine/?do=findComment&comment=2218767

Edited by MainAttraction!