• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This "socialize your pit bull and it'll be fine with other dogs" thing that's been going around has really got to stop. It makes every soccer mom think they can/should rescue one, and that's exactly w

Standard pattys as you call them have faced things much heavier than twenty pound coons,and it was done in the dark by himself.I would consider that a much greater test for a dog rather than four or f

IMO there are only 2 reasons that someone would hold a camera closely to a terrier that's in bad condition. 1. your in the vetinary buisiness and will use the photos in lectures etc. 2. your new to

Posted Images

ivebeen-Its about a 17lb lakeland, not an airedale. In the second pic you can see a black dog moving away. That dog didnt take a backwards step on coon, but she bayed on that big badger.

Take care.

Edited by UphillDoc
  • Like 1

ivebeen-Its about a 17lb lakeland, not an airedale. In the second pic you can see a black dog moving away. That dog didnt take a backwards step on coon, but she bayed on that big badger.

Take care.

Oh thanks, it looks alot bigger than 17lbs in the pic. But it being a lakeland makes more sense now that you mention it.

Thanks for the info uphill.

• 1 month later...

I have yet to hit a badger but don't give up that a coon is a tough SOB and I think the thing that makes the coons hard game are those hands like a human where a badger doesn't have the advantage of pulling a terrier close unless it is biting. I think the structure of a badger vs a coon in mouth probably isn't that different IMO from what I can read but like I said I am not seasoned in badgers as that is hard game to find for me in my area. A coon will pull a dog close when they have to and use their hands to move a terriers head around especially in tight earth spots. Coons are smart hard fighters. I seen a coon with all its everything out that still fought hard as nails and not only on land but moved into water and the damn thing still wouldn't give up and had to send a terrier to dispatch to be in the right. I think coons fight harder than yote just size makes the difference for the canine IMO. I think a badger has more power than a coon but the attributes a coon has like its hands give them an advantage in the ground. I have ran into some coons that have lived a long time till they met my terriers. I am eager to find a badger but you can't talk down a coon at the same time for easy game especially with weight that rivals my dogs and most times exceed them. Coons are brutal and can dispatch a dog as fast as the dog can dispatch them. I think it takes a hard smart dog to dispatch a coon correct and getting them to bolt is even harder, seen more stay and fight than run. One time I seen one getting away and caught a glimpse of my dog chasing it and the coon turned to him to fight, my boy proved his heart that day (high teen in weight and meanest one I seen to date yet) and it was one game SOB too, mypatterbull terrier was a quite worker became more vocal after that one. Still hard as nails but don't mind asking for help from one of the crew but I seen this dog go against great imported blood and american blood in a terrier contest and he didn't loose one competition from the hunt (locate), hard dog and withdraw. He ended up with best in show.

Showme, I believe you will change your mind once you get on a badger, I have spoken to ALOT of people & due to the lack of neck and body flattening style that a badger has, it creates a bloodier battle against a HARD dog. Not knocking the coons but facts are facts, you can try otters also if tough is what you crave. A true test of a digging terrier is alone without sending the kill dog, if you can get to the quarry, dispatch it. You will get more service out of a dog that has its health.

• Like 1