Don't use antibiotics. When used willy nilly the dog will just build up an immunity to them or worse.

I wash with hibiscrub (Brilliant stuff for all sorts) a dab of sudacreme, then i leave well alone, no more washing.

Some dogs the first time they get bitten, they seem to swell pretty badly for just a rat bite, but you fond the more they get bitten the less they swell.

• Like 3

Don't use antibiotics. When used willy nilly the dog will just build up an immunity to them or worse.

I wash with hibiscrub (Brilliant stuff for all sorts) a dab of sudacreme, then i leave well alone, no more washing.

Some dogs the first time they get bitten, they seem to swell pretty badly for just a rat bite, but you fond the more they get bitten the less they swell.

same here moll, no point in using antibiotics unless there is clear signs that a bite has become infected :thumbs:

same here moll, no point in using antibiotics unless there is clear signs that a bite has become infected :thumbs:

same here, just a warm wash with salty water for a couple of days will do..... atb tim

if a dog of mine gets badly marked i always give them a shot of penicillin after cleaning it never got any bad infections and i can imagine what a rat would be carrying :thumbs:

By doing it that way. You are actually putting your dog at even more risk Sean :thumbs:

Look up MRSA and C diff in dogs.

Drug resistance to antibiotics can also result from inappropriate choices including:

» An improper dosage/frequency is prescribed for the dog or cat;

» Discontinuing the use of the antibiotic before all the doses have been administered to the sick animal allowing the bacteria to develop a resistance;

» Interference of other drugs or food with the proper absorption or metabolization of the prescribed antibiotic; and

» Choosing the wrong antibiotic for fighting the diagnosed bacteria or organisms.

• Like 1

Ive seen dog's badly bitten of foxes that don't need antibiotic's never mind a rat bite...like suggested just give a good clean with salty water or hibi scrub and the dog will be fine..

This is after a good session of around 300 rat's no antibotic's used here just a good old clean later on.. :thumbs:

img4200001.jpg

i read the bottle there its duphamox says contains amoxcillin i get it off a greyhound fella he said it it wouldn do no harm to a dog to give him a shot of it that twould help stop any infection forming

If it worked like that Sean, every human would be on Antibiotics all of the time to prevent infections.

It doesn't, and the consequences of over use or not giving the right amount for the correct length of time is already causing serious health problems and death in humans. And dogs are following suit ;)

• Like 1