.177 vs .22 for hunting

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Flow. Both have their advantages over eachother from my experience of using both calibres to hunt with.   .22 being larger in frontal mass area, has the greater knock-down power thus, there is

I was always .22, bit the bullet a few months ago and went down the .177 road.I can honestly say im converted now and would never go back.If you can try a .177 give it a go, you will be surprised .

Posted Images

Like i have always said on here.

Thats the best spring gun out the box and nothing Ive seen or shot beats it as is comes.

Lovely rifle buddy, Im well envious.

Im over half way now for saving for mine too mate.

Mine really loved FX 16 grain pellets and 1 made hole small diameter groups with them at 25 metres. May be worth a try buddy.

Si.

IMHO .20

(I know they might not make the rifle in .20 but here's why I said .20)

Heres my reasoning :

.20 uses best of both worlds flatter trajectory of the .177 and more stopping power closer to the .22

.25 hits hard but the .25 pellets have a bigger arc unless you start to take them over the 12ft/lbs mark then they would shoot flatter but if your going to do that then why not get powder burner....??

Personally I wouldn't hunt with a .177 as I think we need to stack the odds in our favour, so by using the smallest pellet available that then makes our job of hitting the target in the exact spot that is needed for a quick clean and humane kill a lot harder. With the .20 or .22 they have that little extra size and weight, and compared to a rabbits brain the spread size difference between the three main calibres is quite significant. Alot of the time you here about .177 pellets passing through the rabbits due to the high velocity and small pellet. Then they make a 15 yard Scramble down a hole before dying in a warren somewhere.

so when a .20 or .22 pellet impacts the skull the pellet spreads out and as that is passing through the brain it's going to damage that little bit more of the vital organ (in this case the brain) and therefore killing the rabbit or any other quarry cleanly.

As I said at the start that's just my opinion befor you .177 nutters start a war....

Atb

I'm not sure about .20 being the best of both, more like a poor compromise.

You pretty much get the trajectory of a .22, with less retained power.

Have a look at the reticles, trajectory, and PBR below and you will see what I mean.

177jpg.jpg

20jpg.jpg

22jpg.jpg

I'm definitely glad I chose the Pro Sport in .22, its very nice to shoot.

Edited by Flow

A Pro Sport in walnut mate, just need to make a definite decision on the calibre.

Have you shot a .177 Pro Sport Si?

Is the recoil any worse than the .22?

Well, I have a .177 TX200HC and a .22 TX200 standard rifle and they are both superb to shoot with, beautifully built and accurate in the extreme. The .177 is a bit more "snappy" in characteristic on firing. My TX200 .22 is very smooth a rifle gets and took 3 squirrels and a rabbit the other night, all at decent ranges and all clean through the head and brain spot.

If I was going for a Prosport, I would go for both .22 and .177 cal. I love this particular air rifle for its looks and performance. As it is I'm a left hooker and Air Arms won't make a dedicated left handed Prosport version. It's a truly beautiful looking rifle and I'm certain you are going to have some fantastic shooting with it, regardless of calibre.

This debate on calibre among air rifle hunters will never go away will it?!! :D

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

Thanks Pianoman, I chose .22 in the end and I'm glad I did.

I just got my head around posting photos, it seems that the forum doesn't like Flickr links.

These are the photos I linked too on the last page that I took when I first got it home for the ones who missed them (plus I like them)

_MG_6345.jpg

_MG_6344.jpg

_MG_6346.jpg

_MG_6347.jpg

Should be able to go and shoot some targets later to get a feel for it and get it zeroed correctly.

Edited by Flow
  • Like 1

This debate on calibre among air rifle hunters will never go away will it?!! :D

Pianoman

No, but it seems the debates get more long winded and boring as the years go on.... Zzzzzzzz :laugh:

The only fact that matters is that .177 is a calibre for women and gay men... ;):laugh:

Thanks Pianoman, I chose .22 in the end and I'm glad I did.

I just got my head around posting photos, it seems that the forum doesn't like Flickr links.

These are the photos I linked too on the last page that I took when I first got it home for the ones who missed them

_MG_6345.jpg

_MG_6344.jpg

_MG_6346.jpg

_MG_6347.jpg

Should be able to go and shoot some targets later to get a feel for it and get it zeroed correctly.

Cracking looking rifle mate lovely grain !

• Like 1
The only fact that matters is that .177 is a calibre for women and gay men...

You are definitely right there, my brother bought a .177 as a way of letting the family know he bats for the other team.