whippet x greyhound

been reading thro some old threads on the cross and got some questions about them

i now that its luck which way a dog will throw when bred but when looking for a whip grey what percentages would you be looking for when having different tasks in mind , for example half x , 1/4 grey 3/4 whip , or vice versa

a ferreting dog ? would imagine more whip for take off speed and agility

lamp dog

mooching dog

or racing ?

would you say that the dogs in the lighter end of the scale be better suited to working the ruff ground without picking up loads of injury's?

i quite like the look of just whippets bred from working stock , but was wondering what does the addition of the grey bring to the table ?

and i assume that dogs bred for work would be coming from different stock than those bred for racing ?

loads of questions i know lol just trying to learn a bit , got a lurcher my self that has a pritty good turn of pace which i love , and it draws me to the idea of my next dog being one more for speed and agility

thanks and any picks throw them up

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet and as brave as a lion, stands 22"1/2

Heres mine mate hes 3qtr whip 1qtr grey he is 22tts and hes a fast little fecker i cant comment much on working ability because hes only 14 month old but i had him out ferreting and hes been on the la

Posted Images

not seen any whippets so cant comment. seen quite a few whippet/greys since the late eighties ferret, lamp., mooch, and take daytime hares. must admit i like the cross. as for injuries i can only comment on 2 watched over a long period of time. one was worked into his dotage without any real problems. he was mated to another whippet/grey and a bitch was kept back. she proved to be very handy on the lamp but was finished with foot and wrist problems at 5. both these dogs would mark well work with ferrets, lamp, catch daytime rabbits hunting up. the dog was the better on hares than the bitch.

i got a whipp/grey first cross here 5 year old throwen to the greyhound size 25tts but very slim works day and night got a heart of a lion takes daytime hare and loves teeth , very fast and agile also his skin is not like paper , has a good nose in daytime hunts up and also marks rabbits and foxes

Edited by dafydd23
  • Like 3

Chilly, i've only owned one whippet/greyhound (or Grew, to some) and looking back, knowing that time makes past dogs look better, i'd have to say, she was very good!!

Everything you are asking about the cross is a yes and i'll stick my neck out, from what i've seen and say that i'd take one over a pure whippet any day.

Lets be dead straight here and say that its always 'horses for courses' and it'd always be about what you want to run, the land you want to run it over and how you bond with your dogs?

So when getting any new dog these questions must be well mulled over BUT the bottom line when choosing any new mutt is its breeding and with a dog to come out of two finely honed racing speedsters... Choose wisely, from sound working stock, because running over sand tracks or bowling green grass it ain't gonna do....

Best of luck. :thumbs:

Heres mine mate hes 3qtr whip 1qtr grey he is 22tts and hes a fast little fecker i cant comment much on working ability because hes only 14 month old but i had him out ferreting and hes been on the lamp with good success his eagerness to learn suprised me and the speed in which he learns new things is great personally i think he has quite abit more stamina than a pure whippet he can be abit head strong some times but i put that down to his incredibily high prey drive so now i cant wait for the season to come to get him stuck in105_0766.jpg

• Like 7

Heres mine mate hes 3qtr whip 1qtr grey he is 22tts and hes a fast little fecker i cant comment much on working ability because hes only 14 month old but i had him out ferreting and hes been on the lamp with good success his eagerness to learn suprised me and the speed in which he learns new things is great personally i think he has quite abit more stamina than a pure whippet he can be abit head strong some times but i put that down to his incredibily high prey drive so now i cant wait for the season to come to get him stuck in105_0766.jpg

Again mate he is cracking , I really like the look of him , bet he can shift

• Like 1

iv got a whippet x grey mate shes a belta on rabbits takes them easily on the lamp and early morning, shes a good little ferreting dog also marks the holes well and any i missed shes straight after the pesky bunny :) ideal for rabbits on flat grass fields mate.

• Like 1