Which air rifle should i buy??

post-73469-0-42622600-1340284959_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I've had my bsa super 10 for two years now and it has been great. I mainly use it for rabbit shooting and occasionally the odd pigeon. I bought it off a mate two years ago and it had been badly treat. I cleaned the rifle up and gave it to a local gunsmith who serviced it and fixed the miner faults. Since then up to now i have had no problems at all i have shot many rabbits with it and i love it. Recently lots of problems have started occurring from the bolt jamming to leaking bottles. I have been careful and treat the gun with care but from the day i bought it the problems have just been waiting to happen.

At this moment i am considering on buying another gun (which i have been doing for a while) which is lighter and easier to carry in the field, this is where i get stuck. Ideally i would love a daystate but they are a bit above my price range at the moment. I have been looking into the air arms s 410 and s 510 and also the bsa r 10. i am sure there are many other air rifles for a similar price that are just as good but i don't know which are reliable, accurate or suitable for what i'm using it for which is just rabbit, rat and pigeon shooting and the occasional shots on a rifle range. And also which caliber would be best for what i'm doing .22 or .177??

If anyone could help me i would be really great full as you can see i haven't had much experience yet as i am only 16.

Thanks a lot,

Ian

Edited by ian.kellet95

I have an AA S410 and can't fault it. It handles well and feels well ballanced, the mag is easy to load and it is very accurate ( well as accurate as I am). They are also 1 of the best loking pre charged rifles out there too and I also like the fact that it has made in England on the side, how often do you see that these days??. Plenty about 2nd hand with prices starting arround £300 for 1 in good condition. I will never sell mine as my son has his eye on it for when he outgrows his HW25 but he may just have to fight me for it then.

• Like 1

I have a superten mate and as you said they are great guns....if your thinking of a change I would recommend sending the superten to John bowkett for a blueprint! I had mine done and it is like shooting another rifle absolutely superb! It's so accurate...way more accurate then I could ever dream of being....

On the other hand if you have just had enough of the s-10 (which to me it sounds like) then I would consider the hw100 second hand per anti tamper version...another great great gun!

Atb

Aas410 any calibre. i had one in ,22 never had a problem with it. fitted me like a glove. couldnt ask for more than that. pellet on pellet at any range i could keep it steady. nice and light too. the standard air arms silencer was good enough for me but aparently get quieter ones.. although i dont see how!

All the best mate

Air bottle leaking = seal, minor O ring thing even a mole can change, cost usually less than a quid. Bolt sticking? Could be a magazine problem, easy enough to overhaul a magazine, done it a few times, they still work!

I would advise sticking with the Super 10, the R10 is not as good as the Super 10 and has a lot more faults.

Treat your Super 10 to a full Bowkett, he will sort everything out and it will come back a hell of a lot better than you sent it, also all Bowkett work has a lifetime warranty! Lifetime! Cheaper than chopping and changing, you stick with the gun you know and it will be good as new!

Air bottle leaking = seal, minor O ring thing even a mole can change, cost usually less than a quid. Bolt sticking? Could be a magazine problem, easy enough to overhaul a magazine, done it a few times, they still work!

I would advise sticking with the Super 10, the R10 is not as good as the Super 10 and has a lot more faults.

Treat your Super 10 to a full Bowkett, he will sort everything out and it will come back a hell of a lot better than you sent it, also all Bowkett work has a lifetime warranty! Lifetime! Cheaper than chopping and changing, you stick with the gun you know and it will be good as new!

Now that's sound advice right there!

Go with the Mole mate!! You won't get to much better than the S10 in terms of accuracy and shot count, especially if it's had a service from XTX, JB, orTench. all have excellent reputations and I can recommend the services of XTX as I have had my R 10 done and will be getting the S10 serviced in the few weeks.

Thanks a lot guys i appreciate the help i think i will keep the superten and try and get it fixed and at the same time save up for the s 410 so i can see which i prefer or keep both :)

i'm not sure of the costs for fixing the superten because the gunsmith i use told me the loose bolt and worn magazine has meant when i pushed the pellets in it scraped the barrel and has damaged the barrel so a new one may be needed :/