what slip leads does everyone use?

slip was not needed but prefered as they is usualy sitter's inbetween me and a bunnie running in the distance...to save the dog's on long hard night's

That's fair comment, just out of interest which rabbit would you be wanting the dog to run and which one is the problem? would you prefer a squatter yet the dog sees movement further afield or would you lamp the moving rabbit and the squatter would jump up and the that would be the unwanted rabbit. I'm not trying to be clever or catch you out it's a genuine question because the way I see it those situations could arise once the dog is slipped from a lead or just left your side without being slipped anyway

In 'Falconry' when a Bird is distracted from what it was slipped on and goes after that, it is called 'check' and considered a fault. I also think it is a fault in running dogs, they should run what they are slipped on and stick to it. I also think it is unwise to work a dog at night with no slip lead, especially in this day and age of anti hunting Police Forces and some extra keen Police Officers.

I buy 'webbing' from the 'Chandlers' and using my heavy duty sewing machine, i make a lead, but with no clip at the end. As for dogs pulling until your Hand goes blue, they would end up with a pretty sore right Ear, if they tried it with me!

Edited by Shamo
  • Like 1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bit off rope from B&Q youre not gutted when you lose it and cheap as chips.

Iv plaited together 11 banana skins which I then covered in ky jelly and the slime of a bream!

next doors washing line

Posted Images

It is very easy to stop a dog pulling. I hate to see those long strong leads on a reel wit the dog on the end straining - the owner thinks they are doing the dog a favour by allowing it a longer leash and bigger radius, but in actual fact they have no control over it - thatis why it is straining!

When the dog is young, first starting to learn obedience and you are lead training it, take a wrap of the lead under its belly. It is clipped to the collar, then led back over its back and a the end put in a half hitch under its belly. If it pulls the lead tightens on its belly, it soon learns it is uncomfortable an dwithin 1 day you have your youngster lead trained. I use the word "here" at the same time as it pulls and checks - the associationis "here" with being by my side. Job done. No more straining. If something jumps up, it is free to run it - but I also instill "NO" so as to call them off (our sheep!) "Leave it" means don't bother keeping on, lets go and find another one. It also means "don't touch it" (my lunch!) At 10 months Tigs will go through the sheep and ignore them, but run a deer. They are more intelligent than we give them credit for - it is simply harnessing that intelligence and directing it.

• Like 1

I think you'll find that using 60lb line would garrott the dog. The line would go through it's neck like cheesewire, he was on a wind up, which is why he continued it with 60lb dog = 60lb line. Like I said, there are some idiots on here, on both sides of that post. The one who put it up and the one who believed it.

lol cheer up you boring c**t . :thumbs:
  • Like 1

we have euro shops here,econemy stores.I buy the cheap leads,cut off the clip(which is crap anyway)and you have the perfect slip and if lost hey ho 2 euro 79 gone,just go buy another.

I use the cheap leads too but leave the clip on, hold the clip in my hand and put the loop over a finger ready to release. The reason I leave the clip on is so when walking home I just clip it on like normal and its more secure round roads. I've been thinking of asking a talented nylon stitcher to make me like a watch strap with a D ring on though which would be better I think.

I cut the ring off and use the loop around the wrist,on the way home I slide the cut end through the collar and then through the loop and it acts as a lead on the road too.so were not too far apart with out methods.lol

I use one of these

http://www.dogsandco.com/figurelead.html

Put the collar end around the wrist and the metal stop will stop you hand getting strangled. then either put handle of lead through the the dogs collar and looop back to hand. If you run without a collar, then just loop it round the dogs neck, then a loop through the handle as other photos show on here. The webbing is lightly padded so comfy to use and doesn't whip the dog on release.

On the way home just use it as a normal lead collar. No question to answer