My Hutch Ready For Kits Comein

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few pics of my hutch, i like to have different levels with ramps up gets the ferrets really strong and fit. On my hutch i made it in 2 parts as i wanted to have a means of cleaning them out without

It's really really nice, to see someone that has put some real thought and time into making their ferret hutch.

Looks good mate looks like a luxury home

looks good as stated i would change the wire over to weld mesh ferts are sods for getting past normal wire. as for the digging part is the bottom wood or starigh into the ground. if its into the ground there is another escape route.

i personally would open it up a bit get some light into it.

Mine are in a run with one end boxed off wi a drum with a blanket for sleeping. dnt be suprised if they dnt use the toilet area i have litter tray in mine. and its only my oldest jill that use it the kits use the other side. i have drainage pipes to play in and some smaller piping for the jill kit to get away from the bigger two. the run is 8ftx 4ftx 2 high when i get sum more tubin the hutch will be connected up. your set up looks good but i would take the carpet and the plastic out. for bedding i use a fleece blanket or as said before old clothing or towls. i tried shreaded papper but that just ended up all over the run.

thats fab! Onlly thing is mate, get rid of the chicken wire on the front, they will be out! Wilkos sell cage mesh for 4 quid that will do them two doors.

I use blankets in bed box's for mine aswell.

I line the hutch floor with lino aswell to make it easier to clean but i dont put shavings on the floor, no need. Just put shavings in their liiter trays.

They will still need to get out for a run in the garden/house.

Dont forget the padlocks!

Edited by joe14

Looks good, well done for making your own, but I agree with some of the comments before.

Carpet area, you don't want it too warm. In the summer it's a job to keep them cool anyway so keep it simple. Just put in a cotton sheet in the summer underneath them, and in the winter fleece blankets old clothes.

A lot of people who do have dig boxes put it in a large run area in a removable box and remove it in the winter, if its permanently there they may go in there and us it as there litter tray or rain may get in and they are bound to roll in it.

would have been easier to make one large run area and then a bed box.

Toys- tubes, wheels, ball pit, hammocks to play with are good and washing us bowl with brick in and out so they can get in out easily are good for hot days.

If you try to plan where they will go to 'do the business' they will not go there. just the way ferrets are!

Edited by happyferret123

Nice mate but im a real big believer in kiss (keep it simple stupid ) just a 6x2x2 rectangular box is fine for two ferrets inch weld mesh on the front two paddocks job done . did you set out and plan the l shape ?.

my hutch is almost identical to what you described. box with top opening lid, job done.

I think i would get rid of the carpet as it could harbour fleas and as said the ferrets could get their claws stuck in them. If i was feeding ferrals i would cut the breasts out of them and just feed that. Are those ramps you have to get to next level? i have them in mine keeps the ferrets really fit and strong. If they are ramps i would put some bits of wood cross ways for them to grip on when going up and down. I would also take out the plastic as the piss will be all over it, the ferrets will find i shitting place they will stick to, usually as far from their bed as they can, i clean mine out every day. Dont like to be citical as i think it is when great young people fancy trying a new hobby and will get off their backsides and have a go, well done mate.

I will put a few pics of my hutch up and might give you a few ideas, not saying it is right but keeps my ferrets in good nick.

i admire the effort this young lad has put in to this-good on you son-and tidy comments back to him.atb bob :thumbs: :thumbs:

I would of advised him more but yesterdays pics were the first time I had seen it :yes: , so he will take every bodys comments in as it's helpful advice for him instead of the usual slagging off :toast:

A few pics of my hutch, i like to have different levels with ramps up gets the ferrets really strong and fit. On my hutch i made it in 2 parts as i wanted to have a means of cleaning them out without having to box the ferrets all the time. I made a little wooden tunnel and fitted an old air flow damper in it from an old air duct, therefore dont need to box the ferrets all the time i just shout of them into one side then damper it off then do the other side. As i clean them out everyday it save me a lot of time. I personally bed mine on shreaded paper and never get fleas and rarly get ticks, someone once told me paper is treated with something in production to stop the paper going mouldy so this stops fleas, dont know if this is true but i have not had any fleas using it. As has been said, good to see people helping the young lad instead of some of the stupid comments you can see on here.

hutch009.jpg

hutch008.jpg

hutch007.jpg

hutch006.jpg

hutch005.jpg

• Like 4