Double collie?

Hey guys,

I'm researching for my first lurcher mix for next year and I was wondering does anyone have any experience on collie/grey X collie mixes?

As you have probably guessed, I love the speed and beauty of a sighthound, but have a problem with their cat like attitude and might I say it, dumbness.

Then again, collies are great. I adore the smarts and the willingness to work, but I can't stand the over- energetic neuritics of a purebred collie. That is why I am so much in love with lurchers.

I would like the dog to be fast and smart, I'm going to be racing with her and she will haveto live in the same house with my ferrets. I would love to someday breed her and further perfect the smart runner line, that doesn't even exist here in Finland.

Long story short, what is your opinion on the collie mixing?

If you have better ideas or better yet, your planning on puppies, please do not hesitate to speak out.

Allso, if you happen to be a working ferret breeder I would love to hear from your ferrets and dogs!

I've owned the mix, in various forms. Sounds ideal for yourself Athene. If you have one from a pup and put the right training in you will have no problem with ferretts (although the same is true of most lurchers owned from a pup) some will say the collie x are the ideal ferreting companion.

For what you want, maybe a collie/grey x whippet ?

All the best

You say you're going to be racing with it ? Is that secondry to hunting, or the primary use for the dog ? If it's the primary use, then you are wasting your time with a Collie X and need a sighthound saturated dog, unless you don't mind being beaten all the time.

Cheers.

• Like 1

what are racing against,,, as you say there no lurchers there,, greyhounds,,or whippets???

by the way are there rabbits near you ,,or anywhere else in finland??,,, cheers TOMO

Guest born to run1083

You say you're going to be racing with it ? Is that secondry to hunting, or the primary use for the dog ? If it's the primary use, then you are wasting your time with a Collie X and need a sighthound saturated dog, unless you don't mind being beaten all the time.

Cheers.

Thinking same myself, doesn't help the fact she wants collie grey over pure collie which I might not be best in maths but that's more then half collie in the mix. The only thing it would be racing is it's tail

If your wanting an hunting dog then your choice would be affected by what you will be putting in front of it,a 3/4 collie would not be my choice for any lurcher type,or hunting scenario.The land you walk will also play a significant role in the dog that would suit you best.If your wanting a dog to chase artificial lures,then get a sighthound type and forget about the collie.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate the comments and tips!

Lurchers in Finland: There are no real lurchers in Finland! Only few accident litters, but here it's all purebreeds. I'm myself more of an workdog person and I don't care about the breed as long as the dog does it's job good.

Rabbits: we have more rabbits than you can shake a fist to, but rabbiting with dog is illegal, ferreting is ok! The dog would be used mostly for rats if any.

Races: racing is just for fun and to give the dog something really fun to do. I don't mid loosing if the dog will return to me on command. In here 98% the racers are purebred sighthounds and so on, so winning with a mix is really unlikely.

Ground: most of the time races are on fields or a sandy based thin forests.

Obedience: I don't need a obedience master. If I would, I would get a german shepherd. Only thing I need is a strong enough recall and smart enough dog so I can stop her chase if needed. If she would, lets say start to start my ferrets or the neighbors cat. Stopping a pure sighthounds chase is just next to impossible. I have been training a whippet to not attack my ferrets, but it is a really hard job. Currently, after months hard job, they can be in the same room. Afghan hound in the same family just loves the ferrets to bits and treats them as puppies.

Ferrets: my ferrets have been born to a breeder who also breeds dalmatians. Both ferrets like dogs and the other plays with them gladly.

Ferreting here is a almost completely unknown thing and I would love to come and learn the trade, so I can continue it here and breed a good stock of working ferrets and smart runners. In the future I am building a farm and working dogs and ferrets would have a great part in it.