will moderator on or off effect zero ?

Hi All.

I have a 17hmr, last night i turned up at the farm where i shoot and saw a Rabbit as soon as i arrived, i quickly loaded my gun , I did not bother to fit the moderator due to time and i was nt shooting and i did nt intend to shoot in that pert of the farm so was not worried about noise.

I took aim and pulled the trigger but just missed the rabbit, I thought this may be due to excess oil in the barrel from cleaning.

My friend tells me its because i did not have the moderator fitted to the gun,( my rifle was zeroed with moderator fitted)

my question is does a moderator effect your zero when it is not fitted your gun ?

Many thanks.

Nifkin. Agree with John with the exception of my current hmr with the heavy 16" barrel. Certainly out to 150 there is no perceivable difference that would cause me to miss a bunny/crow/fox when I tested it. This is unusual as this is the first rifle I have owned, or had use of, where that is the case.

The reason I checked mine is that I use a very short carbine bag to carry mine which is only just long enough to carry it with the suppressor removed. On several occasions now, I have ended up taking an urgent shit prior to fitting the can.

Basically, when you fire your rifle, the barrel and action flex, which causes in simple terms, a ripple effect of the barrel, much like a tuning fork. That itself doesn't matter because the bullet always leaves the muzzle at the same point of that movement, and you zero your rifle to that point.

When you then take off or put on a suppressor that was or wasn't there when you zeroed it, you get a different vibration or ripple of the barrel, which in effect means the bullet exits the muzzle in a different place to intended.

This effect is also why you should never rest you barrel on anything to fire...it changes the harmonics of the barrel.

Thinner barrelled rifles are more prone to this happening, than thicker ones, and the size and weight of suppressor will also make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Nifkin. Agree with John with the exception of my current hmr with the heavy 16" barrel. Certainly out to 150 there is no perceivable difference that would cause me to miss a bunny/crow/fox when I tested it. This is unusual as this is the first rifle I have owned, or had use of, where that is the case.

The reason I checked mine is that I use a very short carbine bag to carry mine which is only just long enough to carry it with the suppressor removed. On several occasions now, I have ended up taking an urgent shit prior to fitting the can.

:laugh: Not sure what thats got to do with it, but its even worse if you have a dog trying to lick your arse at the same time :laugh:

:laugh: Not sure what thats got to do with it, but its even worse if you have a dog trying to lick your arse at the same time :laugh:

Lmfao weasel,I never re read it before pressing send! I better take bog paper aswell next time. Well spotted:)

• Like 1

spat coffee over my keyboard