Pre-Baiting for pike

This coming season im thinking about trying pre baiting a local stillwater for pike,in the past ive done this many times for carp the greatest success was on a water that had never seen boilies before :icon_eek: (this was in the eighties :icon_redface: )despite being told we would catch nowt we hammered them!We used to pedal to the canal a good 10 miles,with a bucket of hemp and a bag of boilies,when we got there at dusk we would get on a barge roof :angel: and tip the lot along the length of the barge!did this for 2 weeks ,first night we fished we had 16 carp out up to upper doubles.To do this with pike i am thinking of trying a very specific deadbait(undecided yet)to try and acheive preoccupation with said bait.Anybody else tried it and if so how did you get on? Dave

I have tried this with fish scrap's, head's, tail's, fin's and after 9 day's, thought the big girl's would be waiting, fished with smelt on one rod, half macky on the other, nothing over 12lb but plenty of action, plan on trying it this autumn/winter on a canal, hopefully get a big girl this time.

What I was thinking Billy was pre baiting using one species only,something that would be unlikely to be used by anybody else/s,the aim being the pike actively seeking this bait seeing it as a low effort/readily available/safe food source.Wether this is acheived with an obscure species to them ie haddock :icon_eek: garfish :icon_eek: gurnard :icon_eek: or by using a specific flavouring/colour.Initially i would put two rods out ,one with the same species prebaited,the other with roach/mackerel etc

I understand what youre getting at CT but , the idea is to get the pike searching for a specific food type,if there are 100 roach in the swim and i put a roach on for bait its got a 1 in 101 chance of being eaten,as it would be distressed/dead it would be an easy target,but still id like to reduce the odds :thumbs: Dave

What I was thinking Billy was pre baiting using one species only,something that would be unlikely to be used by anybody else/s,the aim being the pike actively seeking this bait seeing it as a low effort/readily available/safe food source.Wether this is acheived with an obscure species to them ie haddock :icon_eek: garfish :icon_eek: gurnard :icon_eek: or by using a specific flavouring/colour.Initially i would put two rods out ,one with the same species prebaited,the other with roach/mackerel etc

Good idea mate, i have never done it that way, but you could really get them going i think, if done right, it's just working out the right way,i would pick swim's that no-one else fishes, that way they shouldn't find any other bait in them area's, i would pick 3-4 area's and only pre bait when nobody is about, for around 10 day's, as you say pick a bait that you can get plenty off and put in good size piece's or the size you will use on your hook or hook's, after 10-14 day's give it ago, but don't give up if it doesn't work straight away, stick with it, it may take longer for them to get on it, when i done it, with a mixed fish scrap's, the longer it went on for the more i was catching, but i started putting it in every other day after 2 week's, and they were small piece's of fish and i was fishing smelt and half mackeral on the hook's, hope it work's well for you mate, and don't forget to let us know every detail of it, good luck mate. :thumbs:

No worries Billy :thumbs: was thinking about 4 weeks of prebaiting,before fishing.Ive got 2 places in mind,its quite difficult to find a swim that pike frequent that isnt getting fished,I may do it over a small stretch even if other people catch some fish eventually they wiil switch off to other baits(in theory)will let you know how i go on ATB Dave

IF there are crayfish in the water then thats nothing but trouble. I wouldnt bother, sit a swim for an hour then move..

ive fished for pike for 20yrs, IF they are there and feeding, your in, if not then they are there for another day.

remember, its called "FISHING" for a reason and not "CATCHING!"...

Patience lad, patience..

• Like 1

I agree to an extent with you Earth,its nothing to do with patience mate,spent too many hours catching nowt to be bothered ,its just a challengeto see wether the pikes diet/behaviour can be controlled like a carp,just out of interest.Im as happy with a single as a double,by the way i have caught pike for over thirty years all over britain :thumbs: ATB Dave

Hello mate.

In my opinion, I dont think you would be able to control a pikes feeding habits in the same way as you could with a carp.I think they are much more of an opportunist, hunter/scavenger that will take whatever it can find. Its true that they can become preoccupied with fry feeding or just livebaits. But if you were to feed up a certain area of a lake with say mackeral for a few weeks then suddenly it goes to that area one day and finds a smelt there, i think it will still take it if it is feeding. Carp can afford to be a lot more fussy. Just think how much food gets chucked into the average lake for them on a weekly bases and thats not counting the natural food. Neil.

As i said earlier Neil ,I dont think it will acheive total preoccupation,like can be acheived with carp.I just think it will be interesting to see how far it will go,whilst im in agreement that they are oppertunistic feeders i think if they get enough of a "safe"food supply with minimal effort in terms of hunting etc it might just work,someone could well catch the same fish on a smelt for example,but im aiming to draw fish away from the usual holding areas :ninja: time will tell.YIS Dave

• 3 weeks later...