Magpie decoy

Hi Buddy... I assume you mean what's best for getting magpies to come in to you....

I have used several things, depends were you are shooting in woods or out on pasture lands or crops or farm....

I have built nests from dry grass or hay and placed a egg or two in the nest on the floor, making sure one egg is open and yellow yolk is on show...

I have used dead rabbits belly open and guts out.

Even some old half eaten sandwich in silver foil.

But I have always placed a shot crow or decoy crow near them.

even used dead shot crow, or another magpie shot from a different location always works well as magpies are territorial and will not like another one not known and will mob this.

these have all worked very very well in the past for me.

good luck buddy.

Edited by Jesse James
  • Like 2

best thing i have found for any crow family is a eagle owl plastic one that flaps its wings they are about £15 from garden centres I came across this when flying my own bird of prey when ever she lands in a tree be a row or a wood they will mob like made on one particular day she landed on a tree in a row and was mobbed by no less then 30 magpies I watched them come across fields about 300 yards just to join in. I normally get 5 or 6 magpies that will mob they land in the trees and jump about chatting, crows and rooks about 15 but theses dont seem to land so you would need a shot gun.

here is a little right up from the web just incase people think i am talking crap information is taken from a document provided on DEFRA website entitled: ‘Review of international research regarding the effectiveness of auditory bird scaring techniques and potential alternatives’. By J Bishop, H McKay, D Parrott and J Allan.

“The basis for this deterrent is mimicry of real predators and evocation of fear and avoidance in the target species. Most potential prey species react to predator models; the strength of the response, however, varies between species (Conover 1979)
and in some cases raptor models can attract rather than repel birds as species like blackbirds and crows often mob owls and owl models
(Conover 1983 cited in Harris and Davis 1998).”

“Model raptors fail to incorporate behavioural cues, which may be critical to the induction of fear and avoidance in the target species. Falcons which are “in the
to hunt” are said to be “sharp set”; such birds are invariably hungry enough to fly at quarry. Although it is hard for human observers to differentiate between a falcon when it is sharp set and conversely well fed, birds will mob a hawk more frequently when sharp set than when well fed. Thus, model raptors will be inherently less threatening and subsequently less effective than live raptors (Inglis 1980).”

“In general, raptor models are inexpensive (£5- £25 for plastic owl models) and easy to deploy. However, birds quickly learn that the model poses no threat and rapidly habituate to it.”

• 4 weeks later...