What's the best canary for breeding mules

I bred goldie mules from fifes and dimorphic mate and i prefered the mules from the dimorphics, they were a little bigger and coloured up well. Dimorphics are also really good feeders.

You can breed to any canary mate, Alot of lads breed goldfinch x norwich canarys but they put the eggs under fifes of dimorphics as the norwich arn't very good feeders. I like the smaller mules myself.

• Like 1

I breed my mules for myself and i don't like big mules, i use red factor and irish hens just because i like the shape of the mule.They look like nice shaped dainty birds and not bulky things,but like i say i breed them for me and they please me so personal choice really on what hens you pick mate.

I breed my mules for myself and i don't like big mules, i use red factor and irish hens just because i like the shape of the mule.They look like nice shaped dainty birds and not bulky things,but like i say i breed them for me and they please me so personal choice really on what hens you pick mate.

hi fireman ya right little crackers byt has the mosaic ancd the red factor are near one of a kind the little mules are yhe same in shape size etc ,when xst with the wee irish atb fella bunnys.
  • Like 1

From what I can gather it's just personal preference which canary you use I'll give the fifes ago if I'm not happy I'll put it down to experience cheers for advice won't be breeding till next year now as my goldie cock is under the weather

The conventional method of muling is usually british cock to canary hen with the exceptuion of the bullfinch,(the bullfinch cock will only breed with the bullfinch hen,something to do with penis alignment???maybe bullie cocks have a drink problem lol !! )you can reverse the pairings and use canary cocks but this is usually more difficult.There are 2 sizes of mules at shows,mules and miniature

mules.Norwich yorkshire and border are the larger type of canary used for mules,coloured dimorphic

fifes and irish for miniature mules,norwich are the prefered choice for muling,although personally I think that there are only 2 british finches suited to this cross,bullie and greenie,the smaller types

can give a bird that has a large broad head and a small body which looks malformed and unbalanced.

Dimorphic or coloured are my preference to cross with a goldie,for siskin,redpoll and linnet,fifes and irish are more suited,both are free breeders,good feeders but I prefer the irish as they usually give larger clutches and their body shape is more like the british.Always try to use a yellow type feather

british cock and I try to use a yellow type feather hen to give double yellow young,2 reasons for this it allows the characteristics of both parents to be seen more easily and gives more vivid colour in the

offspring,dimorphics have a buff type feather and if paired to a buff type feather cock it is highly unlikely to produce a yellow type feather young,when pairing coloured I use an intensive(yellow type)

feather red black(bronze) hen to a goldie cock this x gives highly coloured young with a depth to the colour that is hard to better using any other type of canary,this reply is only my thoughts and opinions based on my experiences sorry this has turned into a bit of a lecture but mule breeding can be difficult at the best of times so I hope this helps you have good fortune in next season's breeding

cheers

old hand

• Like 3

Sound information Old Hand :thumbs:

I agree 100%.

May I add that if you are breeding miniature mules for exhibition an Irish/fife cross canary hen in my opinion is best because the mules from them tend not to have snipey head of the Irish and have better shape or type inherited from the fife.