Scope made to order ???

Hi i was told by a gunshop dealer a few years ago that it was possible to have a scope made to order especially from the manufactures in china,

would any one agree this is true and be able to point me in the right direction as to who and if so where would you go to see about them. :thumbs:

cheers folks

ive searched the internet but this threw my head into termoil gave me a massive head ache and i gave up looking so any help would be much apprerciated,

He also told me that depending on the quality of the lenses you wanted you could get some good deals

openseason

Hi Simon ye mate i have thought about that bud to be honest but with a bit of engineering skill from a mates mate if he is willing to make some mounts im hoping it will work.

i have just emailed a company to see if they make scopes to order as in a one off with a spec that i might want so will see what happens

openseason

I've got to be honest and say that there isn't any situation in hunting that I've come across that hasn't been catered for with products on the market.

But I'm open to persuasion.

So what spec have you enquired about and for what purpose?

I've got to be honest and say that there isn't any situation in hunting that I've come across that hasn't been catered for with products on the market.

But I'm open to persuasion.

So what spec have you enquired about and for what purpose?

me too, be interesting to see the spec hes after and why :hmm:

just wondering why such a large lens would be needed/wanted?

there are 60" plus scopes around already.

if your looking at china to make one it will probably be rubbish, high quality lenses of that sort of size would cost a fortune! if its to allow more light into the scope then large lenses isnt the answer, better quality is. its will be big bulky and por quality.

my swarovski 6x36 scope is better at low light then most mid range 50" plus scopes. simply because of the high quality of the lenses used.

I did have my wonders about the quality from a chinese company to be honest the bloke said that you could get a decent deal from a chinese company but i still had my doubts.

As to the quality.

you are probably right lads large is not always the best as for quality is and the lenses are the most important aspect of the scope.

depending on what i get back in terms of price i will ask for a further price as to better quality lenses HOPEFULLY

if this is possible.

I have asked for a lense size of 80mm with a side wheel zoom 30mm tube i think i asked for will have to check tho, 3-24 mag illuminated reticle and something else but cant remember.i am just after a price at the mo and the advice to see if they can make this size scope.

these are just hypotheticle thinkings at the mo tho lads. but im very interested to see if this can be made and at what price????

Along with the actual effects i would gain from such a scope. if any ?????

i do know tho that these scope manufactures that produce such scopes as you have rapidjenky produce scopes of superb quality and light gathering qualitys.

my idea has come from looking at the spotting scopes that are produced for bird watchers that come with large 70 80 90 mm lenses that produce brilliant images,weather this would work for a rifle scope is another thing but i see no reason really why not

it would just be the mounting side of the scope and the actual length of the thing.

i know the question will come as to if this was possible then why havnt they made them this size already ???? i agree may be they cant produce a large amount of scopes this size due to price and sales turn overs if they wanted to produce a large amount of scopes with good quality optics, is possibly just not productive enough

but the individual one off scope might with any look be possible at a reasonable price.

there might be a lot of questions as to the actual design of such a scope and its internal workings, that is produced with in a smaller scope but these are the things i want them to tell me, as to the possability of complications. that will stop a scope being made.

openseason

i think that if the response is positive, they will want to quote you a minimum order quantity, to cover the cost of tooling up and development.

I dont think you get offers of individual scopes at a competitive cost..

Glass will be of dubious quality, and as it is a development model, I expect the finish will be mediocre if at all available..

I dont mean this negatively, just being honest with my opinion..

there are good scopes out there that will give you far better quality with a 56mm objective, at a cheaper price, that my guess at what you will be quoted for from china..

best of luck though.

a simple reason for wanting a taylor made is grade A glass set n built for airgun ranges, a ret to match.. maybe even for the old 10-50x60mm range... adds weight but oooo what a difference a grade A glass heat treated on all surfaces of ALL the lens sides...

or..the one on the market is uh best profit margin scope or a highest price tag for nearly what you want.

its a bit like settling for whats around verses getting a better tool for a better job...(witout paying the extra 1 or 2 grand!)

Edited by ghillies

you might be right actually i might run out of adjusment to be honest that is one question i hadnt thought off.

i was thinking of putting it on my RWS 500 maybe.

that 10-50 x 60 is a nice scope and i think they have been on the market a good while didnt BSA make them.

i would love something that is a one off with a huge difference if its possible and at what price

hoping they get back to me this week, its just a waiting game now.

if the lenses are made of good quality and are ground to a high quality then im hoping it would give the edge on light gathering with a superb image who knows ?????