Need a deer dog

I have a kennel full of dogs sadly ive not trained any on deer ,i know some dogs do it without a problem but after todays stalk i now realise i will have to get a dog for the deer.

Im looking for a Hungarion wirehaired vizla bitch .

Today went like this ,out at 4.30am That auld bugger Rab slept in so we were a bit late geting on the ground ,after a long time scaning with binos and driving over rough ground we had a long walk up the side of a rape field onto a piece of rough pasture had another good look around then Rab spoted a buck way in the distance we then droped back down the hill a bit to come into the buck into the wind after a bit of a crawl we spoted the buck lying in the long meadow grass only his head gear and lugs above the grasses Rab wanted to take the shot so I handed him the rifle he said to me give him a shout to get him on his feet witch i did and the buck stood up he was closer than I thought about 30yds so i thought rab would neck him he is a good shot and unlike me necks deer regularly i always go for the boiler room anyway the buck takes a couple of steps forward onto a wee hilock he stops Rab fires into the engine room off goes the buck like a rocket in a long wide arc then drops about 125 yds away, we walked towards the buck and i asked the auld **** why he didnt neck as he usually would he said he was sick of me going on about neck shooting so he took it in the body forsake of some peace .

When we eventually found the buck in thigh high grass after about an 20 mins of swearing and cursing each other i gralloched it to find the shot went straight through the heart out the other side smashing the left leg hence the big arc .

The rifle we used was a .22-250 55grain federal .

I was a bit worried that if this was the evening stalk i may not have found the buck in time so if you anyone selling HWV pups let me know and if you know anyone who wants an old retired stalker who drives nowhere smells a lot and drinks everones whisky he is free to a not so good home .

Hoolit

Mate .Blood trailing is very easy to teach incorporated with a treat of ofal .ANY dog with an ounce of work about it will take to it well ,its the end result when they find it that seperates the purpose bred dogs from the allrounder .Lay a blood trail ,about a metre apart out of sight of the dog and then take him on it with a lead ,giving him a reward when hes reached the end .Really is that simple ,Until recently i had a lurcher that excelled at it with no training at all but sadly shes on her way out .A gun dog of any breed is ideal for this work believe me .

Mate .Blood trailing is very easy to teach incorporated with a treat of ofal .ANY dog with an ounce of work about it will take to it well ,its the end result when they find it that seperates the purpose bred dogs from the allrounder .Lay a blood trail ,about a metre apart out of sight of the dog and then take him on it with a lead ,giving him a reward when hes reached the end .Really is that simple ,Until recently i had a lurcher that excelled at it with no training at all but sadly shes on her way out .A gun dog of any breed is ideal for this work believe me .

ive used lurchers and a terrier and your correct it is very simple :thumbs:

Mate .Blood trailing is very easy to teach incorporated with a treat of ofal .ANY dog with an ounce of work about it will take to it well ,its the end result when they find it that seperates the purposea

ive used lurchers and a terrier and your correct it is very simple :thumbs:

same here i used my old lurcher for tracking, the one in my aviator never gave him any training for it he just picked it up as we went along :)

I use two lurchers and a lab... Any of them do the job.... Best is the lab, followed by the beddie x collie/saluki/greyhound, The other lurcher does it, but takes longer.. (whip x collie/grey) and tends to do it without the nose to the ground.. other dogs nose to the ground straight away.. I dont however take the lurchers along on the stalk.....they are left in the motor.

Every stalk, we take the dogs to shoot site, irrespective of whether we know where the carcass is or not. its good training.

I could do it with 2 of my Labs and they would find and let me know. The other 2 would find and finish.............. :icon_eek:

f**k me, all this Lurcher talk will go down well with the stalking elite on here! :laugh:

Some off us cross multiple disciplines :laugh: ............... and as yet, have no contacted any of the supposed diseases mentioned with that activity!! :angel:

• Like 3

I could do it with 2 of my Labs and they would find and let me know. The other 2 would find and finish.............. :icon_eek:

B.S

:laugh::thumbs:

Thanks guys ive got fixed up with a pup down south .

I should be picking it up in acouple of weeks not informed the other half yet ,if i just slip it in the kennel block she may not notice and may not notice the cocker that arrives on sunday.

I can feel the long long silence already.

Keep smiling.

I have a kennel full of dogs sadly ive not trained any on deer ,i know some dogs do it without a problem but after todays stalk i now realise i will have to get a dog for the deer.

Im looking for a Hungarion wirehaired vizla bitch .

Today went like this ,out at 4.30am That auld bugger Rab slept in so we were a bit late geting on the ground ,after a long time scaning with binos and driving over rough ground we had a long walk up the side of a rape field onto a piece of rough pasture had another good look around then Rab spoted a buck way in the distance we then droped back down the hill a bit to come into the buck into the wind after a bit of a crawl we spoted the buck lying in the long meadow grass only his head gear and lugs above the grasses Rab wanted to take the shot so I handed him the rifle he said to me give him a shout to get him on his feet witch i did and the buck stood up he was closer than I thought about 30yds so i thought rab would neck him he is a good shot and unlike me necks deer regularly i always go for the boiler room anyway the buck takes a couple of steps forward onto a wee hilock he stops Rab fires into the engine room off goes the buck like a rocket in a long wide arc then drops about 125 yds away, we walked towards the buck and i asked the auld **** why he didnt neck as he usually would he said he was sick of me going on about neck shooting so he took it in the body forsake of some peace .

When we eventually found the buck in thigh high grass after about an 20 mins of swearing and cursing each other i gralloched it to find the shot went straight through the heart out the other side smashing the left leg hence the big arc .

The rifle we used was a .22-250 55grain federal .

I was a bit worried that if this was the evening stalk i may not have found the buck in time so if you anyone selling HWV pups let me know and if you know anyone who wants an old retired stalker who drives nowhere smells a lot and drinks everones whisky he is free to a not so good home .

Hoolit

No thanks not as if I am bothered about the smell as he would need to get used to me anyway but I take exception about anyone knecking my malt. :bad::icon_eek:

consider a kelpie,my bitch has a great nose for that kind of thing,I took her out with a mate that has a deer cert,he shot a fallow and it ran across a bog and into the high heather,she was sent on the way and we followed her for a good distance to the deer well hidden in the high heather.She just sat next to it and waited for us to get there.well pleased I was.She has done it many times with the goats too.