washing and lubeing pellets?

I can't see why washing and lubing pellets is not worth doing, apart from those that say it doesn't make any difference or its a waists of time.

I wouldn't say its a ritual either when people do it. It's more about good equipment preparation.

You fill your rifles to 180 or 190 bar if using a aa s410 to be straight in your sweet spot, you check zero prior to shooting, you calibrated your scope for holdover. This is not a ritual as you wouldn't get the results you do consistently without doing it. Same goes for pellet prep.

If your really serious about gaining the best results from your kit then loading it and shooting it with the best suited, clean and prepared ammo as surely got to be a good thing?

We already have many ballistic and other problems to over come to get good ending results like gravity, range estimation, angle to target, wind ect which all need assessing before we squeeze the trigger and that's before we put into the sinario a persons own shooting capabilities.

I just think limiting all the likely errors isn't a bad thing.

Si.

O.C.D Thats exactly what it is no matter how proffesional you try to sound.

Do they do all this in the army.? Clean and polish each bullet before putting someones lights out with one.

Marty

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't see why washing and lubing pellets is not worth doing, apart from those that say it doesn't make any difference or its a waists of time.   I wouldn't say its a ritual either when people do

Thinking about it, this weekend it will be a good test of the pellet weight theory as we are not setting the course up to standard HFT rules (unless Davy has changed his mind) so we will be shooting f

Roughly the same for nappy's eh Buster.

I can't see why washing and lubing pellets is not worth doing, apart from those that say it doesn't make any difference or its a waists of time.

I wouldn't say its a ritual either when people do it. It's more about good equipment preparation.

You fill your rifles to 180 or 190 bar if using a aa s410 to be straight in your sweet spot, you check zero prior to shooting, you calibrated your scope for holdover. This is not a ritual as you wouldn't get the results you do consistently without doing it. Same goes for pellet prep.

If your really serious about gaining the best results from your kit then loading it and shooting it with the best suited, clean and prepared ammo as surely got to be a good thing?

We already have many ballistic and other problems to over come to get good ending results like gravity, range estimation, angle to target, wind ect which all need assessing before we squeeze the trigger and that's before we put into the sinario a persons own shooting capabilities.

I just think limiting all the likely errors isn't a bad thing.

Si.

Most definately not a waste of time if it gives the shooter the confidence or edge for sure but the list of things you mention are an absolute necesssity, not a ritual. You couldn't compete without charging/zeroing. You could continue as is without washing your pellets.

Neither am I but I also know that it is customary to celebrate her birthday on the 2nd Saturday in June! ie while we are in Nottingham for the meet :yes:

Guess thats the advantage of being top of the toft's, have em as and when you want depending on the weather :yes:

According to some historians the Spencer family had more right to the throne of England than the Windsors! But who cares, certainly not me!

She bolloxed up then if she was using the weather as a decider :)

Is this meet an organised thing? campsite/farm jobbie where THL members gather?

It certainley is :yes:

This year it's in Nottingham, months of planning and preperation has gone into it by by our Hoast and the key meet personell :notworthy:

Sounds like a good do does this, pity I came into it a bit late, would have enjoyed meeting up with you lot and having the craic.

• Like 1

If & when the others beat me I will start washing my pellets...............

Oh my ........

Only going by my current club competition results fella.

As in the first post , it was the modesty that caught my attention :)

This is the WWW for you in my eyes..What ever happend to buying a rifle and scope..going out and zeroing it in, getting a bit of practice and so on.

My first rifle was webly vulcan..i bought a scope and off i went.

It must be daunting to get into shooting with air rifles these days. If you look after your rifle and clean and oil the barrel often enough..why all these expecive lube's and washing and weighing pellets.?? Its rubbish in my opinion...sorry

Im glad i know what im doing and not new to air gunning anyway.

This is the WWW for you in my eyes..What ever happend to buying a rifle and scope..going out and zeroing it in, getting a bit of practice and so on.

It must be daunting to get into shooting with air rifles these days. If you look after your rifle and clean and oil the barrel often enough..why all these expecive lube's and washing and weighing pellets.?? Its rubbish in my opinion...sorry

I can't dismiss it out of hand because I have no personal evidence that it works/does not work but I respect others choice to use it if it gives them confidence. I have never cleaned a barrell (airgun) properly in 40 years of shooting. I rely totally on the skills I have picked up in that time and I just need to reduce the things I have to worry about before going into competition. I started HFT shooting in January and if I listened to everyone who provides an opinion on what's right or wrong I would never pick up a gun for fear of something going wrong.

I can't dismiss it out of hand because I have no personal evidence that it works/does not work but I respect others choice to use it if it gives them confidence. I have never cleaned a barrell (airgun) properly in 40 years of shooting. I rely totally on the skills I have picked up in that time and I just need to reduce the things I have to worry about before going into competition. I started HFT shooting in January and if I listened to everyone who provides an opinion on what's right or wrong I would never pick up a gun for fear of something going wrong.

Thats the good thing about club shooting, and shooting in comps. There is a huge knowledge base. As you say take what advice you like. Im currently shooting the National UKAHFT series and other regional series and love chatting to the lads and lasses about kit, technique etc. Many of the top shots weigh, wash, lube etc and many dont.

If it gives you that extra bit of confidence, that can only be a good thing!!! If you have done plenty of group testing out to your maximum range, and find it doesnt make any difference again fair play!!

My advice would be try it. You could be surprised at the differance in weight in some brands and batches of pellets. I think I've been lucky with my current batch of JSBs with hardly any, may have to order a couple of sleeves come payday!!

Kindest Regards,

Mikey.

Thats the good thing about club shooting, and shooting in comps. There is a huge knowledge base. As you say take what advice you like. Im currently shooting the National UKAHFT series and other regional series and love chatting to the lads and lasses about kit, technique etc. Many of the top shots weigh, wash, lube etc and many dont.

If it gives you that extra bit of confidence, that can only be a good thing!!! If you have done plenty of group testing out to your maximum range, and find it doesnt make any difference again fair play!!

My advice would be try it. You could be surprised at the differance in weight in some brands and batches of pellets. I think I've been lucky with my current batch of JSBs with hardly any, may have to order a couple of sleeves come payday!!

Kindest Regards,

Mikey.

Fair comment Mikey but what happend to having confidence in rifle scope and yourself.? It got all complicated.

I think new commers to the sport should have more confidence in the basic's of there chosen rifle and scope and even more so in there own ability..pleanty of practice will make them a better shooter than standing there washing pellet's.

Atb

Marty :thumbs:

• Like 1

Got to aggree to disagree Marty.

Your reply made me laugh though mate.

Si.

:thumbs:

Sorry Si... just got this image of the lad's spit polishing their round's before spliting someone's head open with them.

My daft sence of humer.

No really I understand why they do it... IMO its just another complication.

Its strange how times change from one generation to the next...In time to come some of these shooters today will be saying "well what do you need to do that for..its a waist of time".

Hope the meeting going well by the way.

Have fun.

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

Got myself a bottol of fairy washing up liquid today & washed All my pellets one by one.!!

They still look and work the same though...am i missing somthing.? :whistling:

The rabbits and doves i shot earlyer didnt notice any difference either :blink:

Marty