My terrier pup took a knock about 2 months ago and was limping for a few days. Was checked over and saw no obvious signs or causes so let him go. He seemed ok after a few days. About 2 weeks ago i noticed he doesn't put much weight on the same leg and the more i look he doesn't walk exactly as he should.

He still runs around no problem and if i move the leg and joint now he shows no discomfort. I washed him yesterday and noticed there is now a difference in the size of the muscle on each back leg. The problem is with the right hind leg.

Any advice or tips before i go to the vet? I've had bad experiences with vets who give a jag an some metacam and say it'll be ok but never treat the problem.

My terrier pup took a knock about 2 months ago and was limping for a few days. Was checked over and saw no obvious signs or causes so let him go. He seemed ok after a few days. About 2 weeks ago i noticed he doesn't put much weight on the same leg and the more i look he doesn't walk exactly as he should.

He still runs around no problem and if i move the leg and joint now he shows no discomfort. I washed him yesterday and noticed there is now a difference in the size of the muscle on each back leg. The problem is with the right hind leg.

Any advice or tips before i go to the vet? I've had bad experiences with vets who give a jag an some metacam and say it'll be ok but never treat the problem.

the difference in muscle size could be because the dogs not using it as much as the other, if its not getting better after 2 weeks and you have no obvious idea as what the problem is you need to see someone else be that a vet or a bone man :thumbs:

He could have leg Perthes, it is rare but apparently Lakey types suffer from it quite a bit.

My Patt X Lakey has got it, he picked an injury up from being thrown over to the other side of a stream as we were ratting. He landed on his leg funny and never used it the same again. He started to lose muscle so I took him to the vets and after scans and such like they said he's got Leg Perthes disease and thats why his joint hand't healed. He had the op and he still didn't use it properly for a while. He uses the leg now but limps on it when he's taken on long walks.

It's a shame, but if it turns out to be the same thing, don't breed from the dog as it is hereditery.

Cheers for the replies. He's booked in with the vet in the morning. I'm hoping its something that can be sorted!

AFT do you use your terrier to ground? Did the leg effect it's working ability underneath if you did?

Cheers for the replies. He's booked in with the vet in the morning. I'm hoping its something that can be sorted!

AFT do you use your terrier to ground? Did the leg effect it's working ability underneath if you did?

Yes the dog WAS used for Earthwork, and yes I dug to him with the injury and dug to him after his operation and it never effected his working ability underneath.

The last dig I had to him he took a real hiding and was bit through his front right paw, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as he couldn't walk on the front paw for a while, it forced him to use his right hind leg properly that he had the operation on lol. I retired him after that dig, he was an average digging dog to be honest no great shakes, but my kids got to know him as I didn't have kennels up when I got him as a pup, he's always been in the house so he's their house dog now.

Like I said though the leg problem did not effect his working ability underneath one bit, BUT It has effected his ability to go on long mooches though, after about an hour of walking he'll hold his leg and will be in some discomfort with it, so if you like bushing and your dog has got the same as my dog had then he'll suffer on long mooches.

Earthwork fine, bushing etc he'll suffer.

Thanks for that. After what you described and what i've read up on the disease it does seem to be the same thing although i'll find out tomorrow for definite. Just a few more questions if you don't mind? What age was you dog and how long was it from you noticed the problem to taking him to the vet? I know all vets differ but could you give me a rough idea of the price you paid for the operation? PM if preferred. What kind of recuperation time did the dog have?

He will only be used for earthwork so at least he has that on his side at the moment.

Cheers again AFT

Thanks for that. After what you described and what i've read up on the disease it does seem to be the same thing although i'll find out tomorrow for definite. Just a few more questions if you don't mind? What age was you dog and how long was it from you noticed the problem to taking him to the vet? I know all vets differ but could you give me a rough idea of the price you paid for the operation? PM if preferred. What kind of recuperation time did the dog have?

He will only be used for earthwork so at least he has that on his side at the moment.

Cheers again AFT

He was young around 14 months old when he had his operation if I'm remembering correctly? Like an eejit I left the dog for about 4-6 weeks after he injured it thinking it was something he'd get over, but as time went on and he started losing muscle I got him to the vets and after the scans and the operation it came to around £550 or there abouts. This was about 3 years ago now.

I hope you get to the problem and sort it out mate :good:

One thing that is in your favour is that it wont harm his ability as a digging dog.

You were right AFT. The X-Rays showed it clear as day. Absolutely gutted!! Went to a new vet this time and found them a lot better to deal with than the other one i used to go to! She even give me a course of painkillers on the quiet :D Explained everything clearly and even tried to get the PDSA to pay for the op without me asking haha After reading about other dogs having the same problem and having really good recoveries i've decided i'm going to get the op done. Every dog deserves 1 chance at least, even if it's a costly one!

Cheers for the info AFT!

You were right AFT. The X-Rays showed it clear as day. Absolutely gutted!! Went to a new vet this time and found them a lot better to deal with than the other one i used to go to! She even give me a course of painkillers on the quiet :D Explained everything clearly and even tried to get the PDSA to pay for the op without me asking haha After reading about other dogs having the same problem and having really good recoveries i've decided i'm going to get the op done. Every dog deserves 1 chance at least, even if it's a costly one!

Cheers for the info AFT!

Bang on mate, it's best that it is done, otherwise the dog would just suffer in pain.

What type of terrier is it mate?