Need advice on my lurcher pup

6 months.you should be dropping rabbits for it every other day..to have it ready for sept be just right for a big ear then. :thumbs:

Dropping rabbits for a dog is totally illegal you may as well say take it badger baiting!! Listen to johnnylesterhair matey...sound advice. ATB Andy

• Like 1

Not quite sure mate I bought her because she was being miss treated an was really under weight so I didn't ask at the time but I found sum one who had took another pup from the litter an they said she was a bullgreyhoundxsaluki deerhound

sounds a good cross how big is she

More haste less speed! You have all summer to bring your pup on. Concentrate on taking her for interesting walks: I don't know where you live but try and get her used to as many different situations as possible. Walk her everywhere you can getting her used to farm animals, cars, seeing people and dogs she doesn't know. At the moment it should be all about putting confidence into the pup. Play games with her, act silly, let her know you and she can have fun together: its called building the bond. Your pup should feel total trust in you, confident that you are there to protect her as well as show her new things. This might not seem overly important to you at the moment, but you should be a team, and you can only be part of that team if there is a bond between you. This will pay off in the long run when your dog brings you her first rabbit: it doesn't matter if this happens when she is 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 months old. But for the moment, she still has to get her body properly grown and strong: there's a big difference between galloping about having fun and coordinating the legs, brain and jaws to catching a real live running rabbit.

Forget about running her on rabbits at the moment: if she is the breeding you say, then she's still got a lot of growing up to go: both mentally and physically. If you live near where there are rabbits, don't let her continually chase rabbits she's got no chance of catching. If you can walk her near cover: long grass, brambles etc, then she will learn to use her nose to start sniffing out where rabbits have been: this is quite different to letting her tear about on a field going after rabbits which will dive down their burrows before she can get to them. Every time you go out she is learning something new, or should be, and each bit of education will help her to become a useful dog as an adult. It's a bit like going to school: you may not see much point in it sometimes, but if you can't read or write or aren't able to talk properly to people you meet because you are too shy or awkward, life is much more difficult. It's the same for a pup; they need to learn all these things as they grow up.