Couple of questions for the guys that make knives/Handles

Bernie Garland here will help you out on advice and sourcing stuff, hes a good lad , I did a revue for him a couple of years ago on one of his stalking knives.

Good kit but expensive admitedly but exceptional quality.

Hes also doing his DSC2 portfolio with me in Scotland at the moment on a scheme I am running to get lads into stalking

http://berniegarlandknives.com/

Cheers

Stu

There are some very nice knives ones on there especially the damascus ones, I have another couple of blanks that I also got off Midnight on here that are a similar shape to a lot of the blades on that site. I may get some more exciting wood then just the oak next time.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looks ok to me dom done a prety good job on it mate looks well

Next time you want to drill a blank get a cobalt drill bit instead of a High speed steel one and drill it with a very slow drill machine pref. bench drill where you will have more control of the press

I thought I would put this up with the end result..

I tried to drill holes in the handle but got no where with it, the blank was just too hard. I ended up making holes with an electric file. Messy but did the job and was obviously going to be covered by the handle

IMG00433-20120703-1651.jpg

Put an oak handle on it as thats the wood I had lying around. Here it is post shaping.

IMG00442-20120707-1224.jpg

first coat of oil.

IMG00445-20120707-1235.jpg

Not the prettiest of jobs and could have made the handle nicer by spending longer hand sanding it but am fairly happy with the end result

Cheers for the advice

Dom

I thought I would put this up with the end result..

I tried to drill holes in the handle but got no where with it, the blank was just too hard. I ended up making holes with an electric file. Messy but did the job and was obviously going to be covered by the handle

IMG00433-20120703-1651.jpg

Put an oak handle on it as thats the wood I had lying around. Here it is post shaping.

IMG00442-20120707-1224.jpg

first coat of oil.

IMG00445-20120707-1235.jpg

Not the prettiest of jobs and could have made the handle nicer by spending longer hand sanding it but am fairly happy with the end result

Cheers for the advice

Dom

Next time you want to drill a blank get a cobalt drill bit instead of a High speed steel one and drill it with a very slow drill machine pref. bench drill where you will have more control of the pressure which should not be to much but not to light and stop and let the drill and workpiece cool down at regular intervals.

All you will do with a normal high speed drill is case harden the surface and burn the bit out running at high speed.

Cheers

Stu

Edited by Caprelous
  • Like 1

Thanks I will look into the cobalt drill bit. I had tried the bench drill and heating it up with a blow torch etc but it had made very little impact on it. The option that someone suggested was a dremmel with a mini sanding belt to try get through it, so I tried the electric file and it did the job near enough.

Good luck with your stalking scheme, sounds like a very worth while cause and the more you can get out stalking the better! these days certain parts of the country seem to be teaming with roe

iv got a full set of cobalts drills and they will not go through hardened steel no matter what iv tried , ruin the drill bits and the heat effects the knife !!

it was an error i made when constructing the original knife . not driolling it when anealed before the normalising sequences . the blanks was also a miniature of a larger greek copice i make that has a leather wrapped and sown handle .

but he got it done and nobody would know it had been dremeled !!

i think the learning through out this procces is worth much more as you solved problems and learn all about the steel used to make it !

i sometimes strugle to get drills through the anealed W2 that blank was made of and they are cobalt !1

i think it was a job well done !!

all the best , matt.

iv got a full set of cobalts drills and they will not go through hardened steel no matter what iv tried , ruin the drill bits and the heat effects the knife !!

it was an error i made when constructing the original knife . not driolling it when anealed before the normalising sequences . the blanks was also a miniature of a larger greek copice i make that has a leather wrapped and sown handle .

but he got it done and nobody would know it had been dremeled !!

i think the learning through out this procces is worth much more as you solved problems and learn all about the steel used to make it !

i sometimes strugle to get drills through the anealed W2 that blank was made of and they are cobalt !1

i think it was a job well done !!

all the best , matt.

Thanks matt, its been an interesting little project from the start. I now need to crack on with the other two blanks but these will be much easier due to the holes the only difficulty with this one was getting holes in it and like you say the drill bits that I tried barely scratched the surface.

I really like the shape on the mini greek sword type blade!