Couple of questions for the guys that make knives/Handles

pine is verry soft it will come off easy enough there is some stunning bits on ebay any of the burrs they look the dogs bollox [bANNED TEXT] done to a high finish

There is some nice bits of wood on there, I have a load of light coloured oak that I may have a go at using. Not too bothered about it looking the best in the world just dont want it to disintegrate and look too excessively shite and if it does I will just burn it off and start again.

Based on the biro outline on the above picture, how would you put a handle on it or would you drill it first?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looks ok to me dom done a prety good job on it mate looks well

Next time you want to drill a blank get a cobalt drill bit instead of a High speed steel one and drill it with a very slow drill machine pref. bench drill where you will have more control of the press

Right here it is after i have been at it with the angle grinder, I have taken off about as much as i dare without thinking its going to fall to bits. It could be used but I think it looks a tad too shabby for me not to think its a waste of such a nice blade.

IMG00405-20120517-2216.jpg

Back to the drawing board then. I will try and get a couple of holes whacked in the blank

Last daft question...

I am going to want to drill a couple of holes in this now so that I can put a proper handle, Am I right in assuming that it will need to be heated up?

Bump,

Anyone answer this question. I am assuming it will need to be heated in order to drip it??

thanks

Try the drill on it, it may not be tempered at the handle end ( cutting oil will help the drill bit get through, make sure it's firmly secured before drilling...... The last thing in the world you want is a ground... Semi sharp blade spinning at a rapid rate of knots at waist height or near the "man veg"

If it won't drill it's hard ( you will see very quickly that the bit has no purchase)

try a new bit if hat won't touch it then you may need some help ( there are various ways to get into hard steel, the easiest would be to give it to someone else to do lmao!!!)

Good luck bud,

Waidmannsheil!!

Try the drill on it, it may not be tempered at the handle end ( cutting oil will help the drill bit get through, make sure it's firmly secured before drilling...... The last thing in the world you want is a ground... Semi sharp blade spinning at a rapid rate of knots at waist height or near the "man veg"

If it won't drill it's hard ( you will see very quickly that the bit has no purchase)

try a new bit if hat won't touch it then you may need some help ( there are various ways to get into hard steel, the easiest would be to give it to someone else to do lmao!!!)

Good luck bud,

Waidmannsheil!!

Thanks mate, Will give it a go I was thinking about passing it to someone else to put a handle on it for me to be honest, the blade is a touch too nice for one of my bodgeit efforts!

oak wont work very well as a handle because it moves to much from moisture changes unless you have it stabalized

woodandknivesupply.com dose do a stabalization service if you have a peice of wood you want to use but they also have a huge range of handles all corby bolts pins liners ect..

and are quite cheap i buy all my gear from them now

oak wont work very well as a handle because it moves to much from moisture changes unless you have it stabalized

woodandknivesupply.com dose do a stabalization service if you have a peice of wood you want to use but they also have a huge range of handles all corby bolts pins liners ect..

and are quite cheap i buy all my gear from them now

thanks mate will look them up

• 1 month later...

I thought I would put this up with the end result..

I tried to drill holes in the handle but got no where with it, the blank was just too hard. I ended up making holes with an electric file. Messy but did the job and was obviously going to be covered by the handle

IMG00433-20120703-1651.jpg

Put an oak handle on it as thats the wood I had lying around. Here it is post shaping.

IMG00442-20120707-1224.jpg

first coat of oil.

IMG00445-20120707-1235.jpg

Not the prettiest of jobs and could have made the handle nicer by spending longer hand sanding it but am fairly happy with the end result

Cheers for the advice

Dom

Bernie Garland here will help you out on advice and sourcing stuff, hes a good lad , I did a revue for him a couple of years ago on one of his stalking knives.

Good kit but expensive admitedly but exceptional quality.

Hes also doing his DSC2 portfolio with me in Scotland at the moment on a scheme I am running to get lads into stalking

http://berniegarlandknives.com/

Cheers

Stu