Couple of questions for the guys that make knives/Handles

Hi All,

I bought a couple of midnight's blanks a while back that I will be trying make handles for shortly and am wanting to do the blades justice with the handles. I have a few questions re the handles..

Do you buy the brass/steel pins as dowel or are they basically bolts with the tops cut off and sanded?

Why put a plastic liner between the blade and the handle?

What do you use for this liner?

How thick is the liner?

Thanks in advance

Edited by lapin2008

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looks ok to me dom done a prety good job on it mate looks well

Next time you want to drill a blank get a cobalt drill bit instead of a High speed steel one and drill it with a very slow drill machine pref. bench drill where you will have more control of the press

hi i buy long lengths of the pin material and cut to measure , the bolts you are describing are called corby , loveles or acorn bolts usualy £10 a pair so £20 worth for the 3 holes !!

liners are just for decoration really they can be made of anything but you want them to be stable (water proof etc) so that nothing can penotrate between the blade and handle (blood water general bactiria)

you can get all this stuff from almost anywhewre even B&Q if you look about but ebay has good solection and are probably the most conviniant .

2 ton rapid set apoxi is all you need to bond everything togeather .

i use double liners some times for effect up to 2mm

knifes014.jpg

knifes020.jpg

i hope that helps .

all the best , matt.

yes i use brass loveless bolts or standard brass rod brought off the net and for liners I will use vulcanised fibre or thin slices of g10 or tufnol for my knives all are water resistant and add aesthetics to the handle.

many thanks Alex

Edited by Youngun

Thanks for that guys,

I have all the epoxy already in from other stuff, was just confused about the liner more than anything. Will try pick up some brass rods in the not too distant and get cracking.

Matt, that pic of the knife you put up looks fantastic.

Thanks again

Dom

Thanks for that guys,

I have all the epoxy already in from other stuff, was just confused about the liner more than anything. Will try pick up some brass rods in the not too distant and get cracking.

Thanks again

Dom

the rods are a round £3 of ebay you just got to get the right size

thanks its a canadian styled knife i did last year , its in austria with its happy owner . the liners on that are 2x 1mm ally sheet with a thin layer of paper micarta as a spacer between them , and of course the lightening strick file work .

have fun !!

Thanks for that guys,

Thanks again

Dom

the rods are a round £3 of ebay you just got to get the right size

What would you call them on e bay ???

Cheers gaff

this looks about right for what i need

http://www.ebay.co.u...b#ht_836wt_1112

to big type in brass rods ya wont sumat around 6mm mesure the holes on the blank i think they are 6mm though

Yeh I have three blanks one has three sets of I think 6mm, the other has one 6mm and one a touch more maybe 9mm and one that doesnt have any holes in it that I have just tried to blag by carving the shape of the handle bit out of a couple of pieces of pine and epoxying/screwing them together. Will try and sand it down tonight and if it looks shit start again and try and drill a couple of holes in it.

Here it is in its current state, I have put a screw through the top right and bottom left and its epoxied together then cut the end off the screw, I will try and get it on a sander tonight and see how it looks after its done but am starting to wish had used better wood.

IMG00404-20120517-1845.jpg