MINSHAW .....

now thast decent looking running dog even tho its pure

If you look at the dog on the top picture you can see his back legs are bald,typical greyhound problem but i solved it :thumbs: ..look at his legs on the bottom pic :D .. :toast: :toast:

iv had a few 3/4 greys that suffered same thing mate, i got 1 here just noo 1/4 deerhound, what ye do oot a curiosity??

Buy some Benzyl Benzoate mate,cheap as chips at chemist but get a bigger bottle off fleabay..rub it in daily and within no time you'll have new growth coming through,it takes a while to get it back to perfect but they look a darn sight better with it back lol..ATB Andy. :thumbs:

ill get a bottle ordered i know what ye mean, i dropped the protein an upped the fat in diet a bit an it seems to have sorted itself, its a pain in the arse tho, i always feel folk are looking at my baldy legged lurcher :laugh::thumbs:

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to add to the thread,,,I know most have seen the pic befor,,,but possibly not tree hands ....   Venus ,,half minshaw,,half coursing dog,,,littler sister to swift,,the black and white bitch fran

I wasn't ever going to comment on this thread ever , I wasn't prepared to say anything about the breed or the men although I've seen a few run and know a lot of the men mentioned including victor gh

I did manage to find a single photograph all be it not a great one. Can't really remember the night but the blue bitch in the picture belonged to my old mate from Workington.   The Handsome guy in

Posted Images

andy i new that all along hence i bought saluk types twenty years ago from sniper tor of dartmoor but i bred my collie crosses into them ,for better re call and general lamping walking ,thats why youll not see just colie typs about up here so much ,with serous dog men , but twenty years ago we did, the saluk has been the most important dog to breed into lurchers in the last twenty years ,to give running wind natural turning and boxing qaurry of cover , i still keep collie types ,great for ferreting etc ,but if your driving round twenty odd 40 50 60 acre feilds with dogs out you need a diffret beast ,but when its ploughed sown we walk as normal ,

Thats why i think our bitch Swift would do ok up your way Whin but without trying her i suppose i won't know? She has Saluki blood in her off her dams side,and collie through her sires side and good hard working lurchers thrown in there along the way...to be honest the rough terrain of the Dales doesn't play to her strengths,yes she'll muster a bag of bunnies up for you but she likes the flatter type of ground and gear more of a test than a bunny.. :thumbs: ..the owld Saluki's were basically unheard of down my way until the early 90's..i can't recall anyone having one except my mate which was pretty poor to be honest, at all until then? ATB Andy. ;)

,ive always belived top coursing dog to good lurcher bitch will throw abetter dog than a pure colie over a top lurcher or lamper , then yu breed from there to your collie type again ,

Well in a way i could do exactly as you say above Whin :thumbs: ..as Swift is out of my own lurcher dog Jack who wasn't half a bad jukel in my own humble opinion :D and her dam is out of Tomo's coursing bred bitch who has got excellent bloodlines in her breeding :victory: and obviously i have Don out of the Collie and he's coming along ok upto press anyways :yes: ...so maybe the way forward is mate those two together then and the job will be a good un :toast: ...in fairness it really does depend on the ground you intend to work the dogs on and the quarry imo? I'm just a Dale dweller now remember so i need summat that will suit that ground and be a good un at picking up squatters as thats what most of them are down there :whistling: ..i wonder if this dog would of been much use down there?...

andy you've seen the light don x swift :D who gave the mars bar to lilly? thats the big question :hmm:

andy you've seen the light don x swift :D who gave the mars bar to lilly? thats the big question :hmm:

Pritch..the answer to your BIG question is... :whistling: ..you know darn fine well who it was :laugh: ..the other guy had it to eat himself :yes: but it was needed elsewhere :yes: ..i don't think he had heard of the "trick" before? :hmm:

Just to "solve" the mars bar conundrum :hmm: ..when we went for a few races with Timber's bitch Lily and the Brick's bitch Wispa we had quite a few races,some good un's amongst them :yes: ..we ended up into double figures between the bitches and in the last field we had a real stinger or two..Lily exited the field on the verge of collapse,her legs went to jelly and she started the shaking and tensing up of the muscles and jaw locking up with fixated eyes :icon_eek: ,the Brick's bitch had a super race and pulled in her quarry on the road :yes: ..so we needed a quick fix to help Timber's bitch as we were miles from ANYWHERE :whistling: and i asked if anyone had any chocolate and the Brick had a Mars bar..it isn't the best of things to do as it can raise the blood sugar level too quickly and cause even more problems but we had little option so it was a few bits of Mars bar shoved right down the bitches throat..within a minute she was on the road to recovery,blood sugar level rises very quickly and it probably saved the bitch some serious trauma? It's something i have done a time or two over the years infact i saved a lads bitch a couple of seasons back on my way back from lamping,he phoned my lad saying his dog was taking fits in the motor,we met him in a garage,a mars bar into her and within no time she too was back in the land of the living :yes: ..so there you have it the MARS BAR :thumbs: ...ATB Andy. ;)

Edited by poacherspocket22

Just to "solve" the mars bar conundrum :hmm: ..when we went for a few races with Timber's bitch Lily and the Brick's bitch Wispa we had quite a few races,some good un's amongst them :yes: ..we ended up into double figures between the bitches and in the last field we had a real stinger or two..Lily exited the field on the verge of collapse,her legs went to jelly and she started the shaking and tensing up of the muscles and jaw locking up with fixated eyes :icon_eek: ,the Brick's bitch had a super race and pulled in her quarry on the road :yes: ..so we needed a quick fix to help Timber's bitch as we were miles from ANYWHERE :whistling: and i asked if anyone had any chocolate and the Brick had a Mars bar..it isn't the best of things to do as it can raise the blood sugar level too quickly and cause even more problems but we had little option so it was a few bits of Mars bar shoved right down the bitches throat..within a minute she was on the road to recovery,blood sugar level rises very quickly and it probably saved the bitch some serious trauma? It's something i have done a time or two over the years infact i saved a lads bitch a couple of seasons back on my way back from lamping,he phoned my lad saying his dog was taking fits in the motor,we met him in a garage,a mars bar into her and within no time she too was back in the land of the living :yes: ..so there you have it the MARS BAR :thumbs: ...ATB Andy. ;)

I have had the same happen myself once Andy..after my bull grey saluki grey chased well over 100 bunnies one night with a lot of long slip's he never caught a 3rd of them mind you :whistling: ..but on getting back to the motor he was trailing behind and a bit wobbly on his feet..when we stopped to open the motor he layed down and could not get back up..luckely Moll brought along a solution of recharge and electrolite's which was squirted down his throat after he was lifted into the motor..he was left there on his own while we went for another hour of lamping and after our return he was as bright as a button..i don't know if that stuff worked but i will alway's have some in my back pack for future bit's of long night's mooching.. :yes:

Edited by Millet

ive had the same thing Andy, out with the GH and a young lad.... Albeit not a minshaw dog :D

We were out and had 9 in the bag (and had 10 the night before with the same 2 dogs).... we gave the young lad a go lamping off the motor.... he spotted one so we told him what to do, so he walked in with the 2 dogs, i walked to the top of the field to cut off the escape route.. nothing in site...... so i made back to the motor and the lad came back with my young dog, i said where the Fooks my other dog.... "oh i thought he came back" so we searched, at first i thought he could of went off "on scent" and then seen a set of eyes shining back at me.

I first thought it was a roe deer laying in the rough, but it became apparent it wasnt! I'd had enough and jumped in the landrover and drove over the field, to see my dog laying down, coudlnt move, seized up he was...... well over the recent weeks i had a few runs out with a lad who always took electrolytes........ and the one night i needed them, the lad werent with us!!! My good lady had bought me a bag full of Cadburys FUDGE. so that was the only option.... we got a couple of them chucked down his throat, and laid him on the back seat, when i got home nearly an hour later, out the motor he jumped & walked straight to his bed! He never even had a glance for the black cat that often frequented my road :laugh:

and thats the exact way i heard it Andy, but a certain man disputed this and tried to claim the glory,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if i remember [bANNED TEXT] our disagreement ended with me saying "CHECKMATE", i know timber allways apreciated what you did and wouldnt bullshit what happened that night.

it's taken a while but at last we have the truth form the horses mouth so to speak lol

There was no "glory" to be gained Daz from it certainly not by me,I was only concerned for the health of Timbers bitch Lily,Molls Recharge is a safer option but when you have little option and your hands are tied you have to resort to other measures like we had to and also Rabbithunter...Bear Grylls eat your heart out haha..ATB Andy

• Like 2