MINSHAW .....

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to add to the thread,,,I know most have seen the pic befor,,,but possibly not tree hands ....   Venus ,,half minshaw,,half coursing dog,,,littler sister to swift,,the black and white bitch fran

I wasn't ever going to comment on this thread ever , I wasn't prepared to say anything about the breed or the men although I've seen a few run and know a lot of the men mentioned including victor gh

I did manage to find a single photograph all be it not a great one. Can't really remember the night but the blue bitch in the picture belonged to my old mate from Workington.   The Handsome guy in

Posted Images

jack lee whats a propa lamp dog , and when did the actual guy minshaw stop breeding them the so called minshaw ,swifts a nice dog to look at pity she never came up to the large feilds to run frankel would be nice to see her run in her prime,

to many puppy peddlars now in the in the game ,i would say the minshaw shite should die out and be called the cumbrain collie lurcher lol,

i reckon if youse had plenty to get on with the last thing you would worry about is the name tag , to sell a few pups ,breed them [bANNED TEXT] and you dont need the internet or pics to sell a dog ,we have whin shaws brick shaws lol bob cocks , heartbreak feck i reckon its time to move on and get the collie saluki types but of the [bANNED TEXT] type , the old collie lines were real eighties dogs , good old days , but times change

MATTIE i no a bit more of her breeding that what you do mate,so calm down,there only dogs

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

This is my first post on this forum. Like some of the other lads who have posted I spent many nights out with Victor. As for the Minshaw breeding I can confirm Rip the old dog was bred from a racing whippet called Rag Lad. Rip was the sire of Nipper (don't know who the dam was). Nipper was the sire of Blue to Rodney Jacksons Darkie. My mate had Blues litter brother who made a magnificent dog but was never worked, I think some travellers bought him at around 13 month old. I only saw Darkie work on a handfull of occasion (day time) from memory it was on Carlisle Airport, she was fast enough but I wasn't over impressed but to be fair the hares on the airport took some catching. Victor told me she was the best daytime dog he had seen. She certainly looked the part very racy greyhound type an ideal cross for nipper.

• Like 2

No most defiantly not collie x. They may have had some cur dog in them somewhere and some terrier blood. In them days almost all of the racing whippets had some terrier blood in them.

Victor told me he couldn't leave old rip in the house or a kennel it could not tolerate being locked up and would wreck the place tearing curtains down and eating anything wooden.

Old Rip looked like a mongrel. Nipper was slightly more refined but would never win a handsome dog contest. He was as rough as the roads.

No most defiantly not collie x. They may have had some cur dog in them somewhere and some terrier blood. In them days almost all of the racing whippets had some terrier blood in them.

Victor told me he couldn't leave old rip in the house or a kennel it could not tolerate being locked up and would wreck the place tearing curtains down and eating anything wooden.

Old Rip looked like a mongrel. Nipper was slightly more refined but would never win a handsome dog contest. He was as rough as the roads.

Did the originals throw duffers or is it more prevalent now, as folk are just breeding from quitters and untested stock ??

I can only go off what I have seen and that was Nipper the sire of Blue. It depends what you mean by quitters. I have seen Nipper turn off rabbits at night that he could have caught. Was he plain lazy? was he conserving his energy, maybe he knew he was going to have a long night (he usually did). During the day it got to the stage where he refused to jump, but he could jump 5 bar gates with ease.

Nipper was a very complicated dog if he had not been in the hands of Victor I am sure he would not have been the same animal. When lamping He was never on a lead and Victor could stop him chasing until required. When playing the numbers game 3 sitters are better then 1 runner.

When doubled up I am sure a rabbit caught was a rabbit caught to Nipper, no matter who caught it. When I first took my dog (first time on the lamp) with Nipper we caught around 20 odd with my dog catching the vast majority in front of Nipper. Victor was livid. The next time same thing but this time there was more rabbits after about 30 my dog blew up and I had to carry him back to the van (I was to inexperienced to see it happening. Could Victor see my dog struggling? probably). Nipper then went on to catch another 40 odd by himself.

Maybe the dog was just to bright for his own good sometimes. Victor and Nipper worked as a team, together. Nipper chased whenever and whatever Victor told him to chase. The bigger the quarry the more both victor and Nipper loved it. Did Nipper lack heart NO, was Nipper a quitter NO. Would Nipper have caught a daytime winter hare NO I don't think he would have even turned one but he might probably have picked two up off the bottom or in a few yards whilst my dog had coursed over hill and dale to catch another two then Nipper would probably be out on the lamp same night whilst my lad was asleep in his bed.

Edited by toblue
  • Like 2

To my knowledge Rip only sired one litter as did Nipper. I may be wrong, I cant speak of Blue, as he was only a pup when I lost touch with Victor.

My main interest was daytime. If Victor had ever put Nipper to a pure greyhound I would have had one of the pups in a blink.

I can only go off what I have seen and that was Nipper the sire of Blue. It depends what you mean by quitters. I have seen Nipper turn off rabbits at night that he could have caught. Was he plain lazy? was he conserving his energy, maybe he knew he was going to have a long night (he usually did). During the day it got to the stage where he refused to jump, but he could jump 5 bar gates with ease.

Nipper was a very complicated dog if he had not been in the hands of Victor I am sure he would not have been the same animal. When lamping He was never on a lead and Victor could stop him chasing until required. When playing the numbers game 3 sitters are better then 1 runner.

When doubled up I am sure a rabbit caught was a rabbit caught to Nipper, no matter who caught it. When I first took my dog (first time on the lamp) with Nipper we caught around 20 odd with my dog catching the vast majority in front of Nipper. Victor was livid. The next time same thing but this time there was more rabbits after about 30 my dog blew up and I had to carry him back to the van (I was to inexperienced to see it happening. Could Victor see my dog struggling? probably). Nipper then went on to catch another 40 odd by himself.

Maybe the dog was just to bright for his own good sometimes. Victor and Nipper worked as a team, together. Nipper chased whenever and whatever Victor told him to chase. The bigger the quarry the more both victor and Nipper loved it. Did Nipper lack heart NO, was Nipper a quitter NO. Would Nipper have caught a daytime winter hare NO I don't think he would have even turned one but he might probably have picked two up off the bottom or in a few yards whilst my dog had coursed over hill and dale to catch another two then Nipper would probably be out on the lamp same night whilst my lad was asleep in his bed.

• Like 1

Aye good honest post fella..

My pal had one similar. .

Caught a van load of gear but on his own terms..

Not for me when games thinner on the ground.

I want them to chase everything..

Good to see some one with a honest appraisal of the dogs..