Lurcher like sled racing dogs

Dont blame the dogs. Program on bbc 3 about some retard delink wants from England.

They went to Alaska to stay with a sled racing team, which are husky x hounds?

They are built like lurchers. And some resemble saluki xs similar in appearance to Ladie. And the renning action is simila to many a coursing dog.

They are kept in small wooden boxs in temperatures of -24, and worked hard and feed well. And love doing what they were breed for and kept in a traditional way.The r.s.p.c.a would prosecute you if you done the same to the very same dogs in this country.

I think a lot of Lurcher owners in this country keep there dogs as house pets and companions and take them out "working" for an hour a week! I like the alaskans ethic of a dog having to live for work and to earn its place. I try to keep dogs that can and have to work and can relate more to these people than many of my own show attending country men/women!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vin, not knocking your Mal X Greys, but watching that programme and reading the Wiki links.... there wasn't one mention of Greyhounds in the breed ! They all seem to agree that POINTER, (wether Englis

there racers against the clock, also the husky blood is normally from the lighter siberian husky not the malamute, the siberian was brought over an used for racing ,the malamute was used to haul fri

I take it thats me your on about in above post? ive PMed and asked both of you please dont bring me into this ,im now saying in public on here i dont talk about any one ive been out with or their dogs

Posted Images

Malamute X Greyhounds eh...who would have thought of it.

some very tidy looking dogs on there.

6 miles flat out towing a sleigh and a chubby geezer...surely thats enough stamina for any rabbiting dog.

some of them dogs looked just like the ones I've seen over here.

a mate of mine does a bit of racing with huskies an i know a lot of folk are using pointers an other breeds to breed into the huskys to improve them, i seen bits of this programme earlier an some a them did look like running dog crosses, i think they are more bred for racing than all purpose sled work :thumbs:

what about that 1/4 greyhound X Eurohound. . .? looks very familiar to me..

Now if you could just get a nice strong fast bitch from these top racing lines(about £10,000).... then maybe put it back to a Top Coursing dog or a Greyhound of good breeding...that would be a very interesting start to a new line.

well it wont be a new line because someones already been there a done that one havnt they.. .

looking forward to a few "told you so comments"

Guest born to run1083

No one to my knowledge has used a £10,000 purpose bred sled dog to a top grey there's a huge difference to the mals over here that hold a £1000 ticket price and to the mals over there. That are still bred for there actual work qualities It goes to show tho that the mal x hound is a tried method in some cases for many a year. Flinty just brought the idea here to the uk for our perposes lol but been used in Canada and Siberia and places like this for years

Edited by born to run1083

No one yet BTR1083 someone will have one before you know it..you just wait and see..Theres a bandwaggon just waiting to be jumped on..LOL.

there might be a difference in breeding quality between Flintys and the ones in Alaska..but he did use a pedigree bitch..who knows how far back it went and to what dogs it could have originated..its and alaskan malamute at the end of the day...and most of them dogs were just variations of that Breed.

Some very nice ones I must say !

Vin, not knocking your Mal X Greys, but watching that programme and reading the Wiki links.... there wasn't one mention of Greyhounds in the breed ! They all seem to agree that POINTER, (wether English or GSH), are the crosses they use. It's a bit disingenuos to use that programme to justify Malamutre X Greyhounds ! As I say, not knocking your X, as I've never seen them, but a bit far fetched to use that programme to promote them !

Cheers.

• Like 1

Vin, not knocking your Mal X Greys, but watching that programme and reading the Wiki links.... there wasn't one mention of Greyhounds in the breed ! They all seem to agree that POINTER, (wether English or GSH), are the crosses they use. It's a bit disingenuos to use that programme to justify Malamutre X Greyhounds ! As I say, not knocking your X, as I've never seen them, but a bit far fetched to use that programme to promote them !

Cheers.

also i never heard any mention on the programme of the dogs doing anything other than pulling sleds

Im not promoting anything Chartpolski old chap...I don't own a Mal X.

I was just pointing out what some of them dogs look like with a bit of breeding through other types of dogs etc etc..I heard Saluki mentioned in the makeup of Eurohounds etc etc..If you looked at some of them dogs in that fellas yard out of all those dogs..there was some interesting variations..who knows what he,s been testing out to improve his line...they all have thier secrets and hope to have the fastest line of mushing dogs..who are we to say or know all this way away.

and why would you hear nay mention of the dogs doing anything other than pulling sleds .... thats what they breed em for...inuit...LOL.

Cheers.

In the makeup of the Eurohound are certainly Greyhounds and various other hound breeds.

Have a look at this page(scroll down)

http://www.steelhead.de/html/gth-story.html

These are German Trail Hounds very similar to Eurohounds.

Cheers,

MagyarAgar