just wanted to ask anyone who has be to or is going to go to sparsholt college, how long after an application is made is it before they contact you? regarding interviews etc.

im 24 years old and have been involved in shooting, ferreting and falconry since i was about 11 and have helped out doing temperary work on some of my permissions, im hoping to go to sparsholt on the gamekeeping course to get myself some form of recognised qualification and hoping to persue a career in game keeping.

i applied roughly 2 weeks ago, have i left it a little late ?

thanks in advance

rob

thanksfor the reply,

its a career i realy want to persue and have been hitting my head against a brick wall trying to find under keeping work, its the only route i could see. i was a little concirned about being a bit old on the course but think i can mingle with anyone.

if any one can help with my questions that would be great, or if any one needs or nows of some one who may need an underkeeper or would be willing to take one on in essex im in the harlow area.

im keen very very keen and want to do this for a living and can pull my weight, im willing to go out in all weathers, have pest control experience (last job i was a pest/bird controller.

any help re3garding sparsholt or any work going will be extremely apreciated

regards

rob

get your self into a couple of shoots beating if you aint already done so .fastest way to get word round .if you get in. there is a very goodchance you will be beating down on the estate where i go .noel

Edited by bignoel

Why not call the college and ask about your application?

I dont mean this to sound offensive but how do you expect people to help you find an apprenticeship or underkeepers job when u cant even make a phone call to check up on a college application.

As said, get out and help as many keepers as you can, wether it be beating or helping out evenings and weekends. The more keepers that hear that you are a good, helpful lad the more likely you are to find a job.

You certainly wont get handed one off an internet forum.

As for college, wether you get in this year or not. Try and get yourself out and about doing work experience as much as possible. When i left college, nearly every lad that walked into a job straight out of college (myself included) got it either at their work experience placement or through word of mouth from keepers they helped. And the lads that done the bare minimum, 3 weeks at a time, stayed at home at weekends etc are stacking shelves at tescos.

• Like 1

To be honest you might of left it a tad late, if its the same amount of lads (40+) that are on the course im on then good luck, but u never know, as for the interview and that business then it toke around a month for a reply, get on the phone me thinks.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for thelate reply, since my last postiv heard from sparsholt and have my interview on the 20th of this month so very excited just hoping i can sacure a place so fingures crossed. :yes:

i know it may have come across that way but i diddnt in any way shape or form expect to be handed something on a plate im a very hard working person and take great pride in that i was simply just trying to get as much info from others who have been there or going or any one in the gamekeeping proffesson.

all the best

rob :victory:

Hi Rob,

If I were you, I would ignore them about being handed a job on a plate. I by no means only posted on the forum. I put feelers everywhere for summer work. I am studying the Level 3 Extended Diploma at Hartpury and was looking for summer work between my first and second year. I did post it on the forum, but it wasn't the only place, and yet it was the forum that provided me with a result. I see nothing wrong with asking a community of people in the business if they know of anything. Anyone who says different should have their head examined. It's not like I'm going to ask people who don't know the game keeping community.

Now, rant over. I too have applied to Sparsholt. I have my interview on the 11th of June (2 days away) and they were really quick. You can get hold of the apprenticeship team direct on telephone. PM me if you want the number. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me direct and I'll do my best to answer. I do know that at 23 you might have to pay for your apprenticeship. Also, as for your age, I wouldn't worry. Here at Hartpury we have over 18's and under 18's. They all mingle well, with some of the over's being about 25 and 30.

I hope this answers some of your questions, and atb at Sparsholt (might see you there soon),

Bunny.

• 3 weeks later...