extreme prey drive ! would the word determination not suit better as in enough determination to stay with quarry untill dug which can be many hours and even days depending on were quarry is holed up or in some sad cases staying too it actually cost some dogs there lives ! i ve read these posts on the jagd terriers many times and heard lads call them hard dogs high prey drive wont back down well a good hard seasons digging they be like the rest of the hard dogs i ve seen either using there voice or standing out beside you after spewing. plus these dogs are bred from dogs that were originally bred to work underground in uk and ireland for many years so what makes lads think there going top be superior to whats working day in day out in uk and ireland at the moment eh! grass always greener on the other side springs to mind thats untill your on the other side looking back disappointed

• Like 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is far to easy to get sht dogs of any breed. People that need working dogs, tend to have them. Doesn't matter if they are black and tan, black or freakin purple for that matter. The basic recipie n

Took the Duvadirto pups out around midnight with their mama Kacer and Arna another bitch. We had a cool front and the temp dropped to around 65 degrees which is kind of chilly for this time of year th

They are gritty little dogs. I use them for hogs almost exclusively. However, I did let one of my males chase a coyote into a den. He was down there about six hours and brought out three dead pups. I

Posted Images

I have a friend whose jagd was to ground for 27 hours, he had to rent a backhoe to get it out. He got the dog out which had not yet reached it's game. gave it some water and thought the dog was done. The dog ran straight back in to get after the game. That's drive if you ask me. I borrowed that same dog and the dog caught five coon the first day i hunted it solo. He wasn't hard but was smart and wouldn't let game move. Sadly the dog died from what the veterinarian assumed was salmon poisoning while I had him. He was a mighty good dog. Hard headed though dang!

Why would someone think that jagds might be better suited for american quarry than UK dogs, even though they originate from dogs in the UK? Because they are bred by different people who have alot more freedom to work and test there dogs. Freedom you all had but have lost. Pretty simple really... If two dogmen of equal ability start with the same stock ... one of the men gets to hunt whatever he wants and test his dogs however he wants and keep as many dogs as he wants and earns his living hunting... the other man only gets to hunt fox and that in a limited fashion and can only keep a certain amount of terriers due to space and time... Who would you go asking for a dog after 30 years of their breeding programs? That being said I don't see one or the other breed as "better" but as two distinct types of working dog best suited for the area they were created for. There are traits in both types that I will not go without in my pack at any given time unless forced to by death of the dogs with those qualities. I would really love to have an experiment where legit terriermen of the UK were given what is considered by most as good jagd stock. Then hear their feed back after five years or so working the dogs. I don't think jagds have been given a good shake at the job in the UK because there has been no need for them... Then people make assumptions about them without ever having seen them. Unless a person has seen a jagd work, I am of the opinion that your opinion concerning jagds means nothing.

• Like 2

spot on, jgdts were bred by german from the best stock, they cross several breeds and been very selective. tey are true allround terriers and non of english breeds can be compared to them, i saw many blacks, foxterriers, borders, welshs. i d not ay thy are better underground like those breeds, may be harder many times to thir own good but above they dominate on tracks, retreiving, driven hunts....uk lads don t need them, they do not have work for them, for earth work they got their own proven dogs.

spot on, jgdts were bred by german from the best stock, they cross several breeds and been very selective. tey are true allround terriers and non of english breeds can be compared to them, i saw many blacks, foxterriers, borders, welshs. i d not ay thy are better underground like those breeds, may be harder many times to thir own good but above they dominate on tracks, retreiving, driven hunts....uk lads don t need them, they do not have work for them, for earth work they got their own proven dogs.

Was it you that had the picture on here,with the 3 marked up fox terriers on the single fox?

Was it you that had the picture on here,with the 3 marked up fox terriers on the single fox?

i don t have foxterriers, just beddies and used to have black dogs.

• Like 1

Were the black dogs too much for you?

Were the black dogs too much for you?

no my beddies are better for me, they are more calm, better noses, better on wild boars. my old bedlington is excetional earth dog. blacks always try to fight beddies, and nearly got killed by them so i decided to rehome them. my friend still work them.

16042011140.jpg

08012011040.jpg

P1150642.jpg

DSC05544.jpg

P1160044.jpg

P1150645.jpg

P1050968.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

• Like 1

Clany, theyve been discussed generally in the terrier section lots.....and lots. Try doing a search & see what you find, then tell me what you think. Ive dug to a few & always find it interesting to hear how others find them.

I would like to hear what you think of them,if you seen them work GD WAZ?

From the videos i seen,they go in and take hold.I wonder how long they hold on for?

Not long,if its a badger,im guessing

Ok if you insist! LOL.

I thought id wait and let a few other people respond, as id like to hear what others think also...

Ive had an open about them, but for use as a digging dog ive got no use for them.

As for prey drive... them that knows, knows.

ive tried to get out and about to see different lads/dogs style of digging (aswell as hounds) in a country/countries where digging to terriers is a bit free'er than the 'British Isles'.

• Like 1

im not saying there s not some good jagd terriers that work to ground but there no better than a decent lakie russell or black dog as for high prey drive every decent dog that enters an earth and is willing too stay till job is done has high prey drive as some call it as for mosby trying to say that the terriers over here are tested less well the good dogs in good kennells work too ground all the time no bushing no hunting barn s just earth work thats were they show there true worth anda terrier that is not used to ground is either not up to scratch or there owner is not up too testing them too best of there ability imo

• Like 2

They are gritty little dogs. I use them for hogs almost exclusively. However, I did let one of my males chase a coyote into a den. He was down there about six hours and brought out three dead pups. I am sure he killed the bitch, but he didn't drag her out.

Here is what he looked like after I cleaned him up:

Taz.jpg

• Like 4

Dee Mac I understand that some people over there work their dogs as hard as they can be worked. We Americans wouldn't still be looking for dogs from ya'll if you didn't. Some of those countries where jagds are commonly used have better hunting than anywhere else even America and nil for laws restricting the work dogs can do. The UK doesn't have a monopoly on earth work. I agree that jagds are not needed in ireland or england or scotland or wherever else just ground work is being done. You all have specialized your dogs for the job but I'm gonna stand up for the jagds when I hear the ignorant bashing them because they think they're the only place in the world that has legitimately dug quarry. Fact is there are great terriers in almost every country and they do go to ground and they do stay til dug to.

could they be used as a decent outcross to a line of terriers to maybe throw a bit better size and stamp into a line or maybe used to put more drive into a line which seems to throw terriers lacking drive

I have one that is about 16 pounds.

I wish I could show you some videos of my dogs working. They are intense.

Edited by Jagdman

they will be know harder or gamer than some of the black stuff over here you get big dogs in them too know diffrent dont think there is anything wroung with the stamp of dog in the uk and over the water tbh and i dont think they got anything to offer to the terriers we have here

• Like 1