Shotgun proofed?

Recently got a under and over 12g, just spoke to an old friend who said about getting it proofed immediately? Should I get it done? And does anyone know anywhere I can get it done? (I’m in Kent)

Rikki

Birmingham or London proof houses .

Could do with mine getting reproofed seen as it's proof marks are early 1920s so will be interested to see if any one knows the cost

Is there any reason why he has suggested getting it re-proofed?

If gun is in good condition and the barrels not greatly pitted or thin at the muzzles then there isn't really much point unless you just want piece of mind.

just a friend recommended doing it because I said its a few (about 20) years old? Its in perfect condition barrel wise though

Is there any reason why he has suggested getting it re-proofed?

If gun is in good condition and the barrels not greatly pitted or thin at the muzzles then there isn't really much point unless you just want piece of mind.

I'd like mine done as there's a few marks up a barrel and it's only proofed 1 1/8oz (32g) cartridges and at about 90yrs old it would give me piece of mind

Having said that it's a English BSA and Ive read that there near bomb proof

A shotgun barrel will usually be perfectly safe with a few marks. There's no real risk until fairly serious pitting occurs as the pressures are fairly low. Instead of sending it for re-proof straight away, and exposing it to a massive overstress with the associated risk of damage, take it along to a good gunsmith and get them to inspect the bore. They should be able to tell you whether it is safe quite easily.

It would be illegal for "anyone" to sell a shotgun that is "out of proof", so depending where you acquired the gun, my guess is that it's perfectly safe.

A 20 year old gun is not old by any means. I have a 20 year old Russian gun that has shot many thousands of rounds, it's still in proof with no issues at all. I can see why your mate told you what he did but I think it's advice that isn't really good advice unless you have something or a reason to presume there is a problem with the gun. Simply take a gander down the barrel, take the barrels off, hold them up to the light have a look, any pitting? Hold the barrels by the lump, that's the bit by where the cartridges go ;) Tap the barrels with a pencil, is the sound "bright" or more a dull thud? Try flicking the barrels, again thud or bright ring? Move the barrels back and forth can you hear any rust in the rib or between the barrels? Barrels pit on the outside as well as the inside! Now take a look at the end of the barrels, is there much thickness to the barrels.

Sending the gun for proof, is extreme and if the gun has any sentimental value, you might not ever see it again ;) Basically proofing a gun involves firing a cartridge which produces a much higher pressure than any commercial loaded cartridge, sometimes guns do fail proofing but would have been safe to shoot commercial loads for many years. All said and done, if you are worried about the gun, then get it proofed because you will never shoot at your best with a niggling worry at the back of your mind.

John

It would be illegal for "anyone" to sell a shotgun that is "out of proof", so depending where you acquired the gun, my guess is that it's perfectly safe.

A 20 year old gun is not old by any means. I have a 20 year old Russian gun that has shot many thousands of rounds, it's still in proof with no issues at all. I can see why your mate told you what he did but I think it's advice that isn't really good advice unless you have something or a reason to presume there is a problem with the gun. Simply take a gander down the barrel, take the barrels off, hold them up to the light have a look, any pitting? Hold the barrels by the lump, that's the bit by where the cartridges go ;) Tap the barrels with a pencil, is the sound "bright" or more a dull thud? Try flicking the barrels, again thud or bright ring? Move the barrels back and forth can you hear any rust in the rib or between the barrels? Barrels pit on the outside as well as the inside! Now take a look at the end of the barrels, is there much thickness to the barrels.

Sending the gun for proof, is extreme and if the gun has any sentimental value, you might not ever see it again ;) Basically proofing a gun involves firing a cartridge which produces a much higher pressure than any commercial loaded cartridge, sometimes guns do fail proofing but would have been safe to shoot commercial loads for many years. All said and done, if you are worried about the gun, then get it proofed because you will never shoot at your best with a niggling worry at the back of your mind.

John

nope cant see any pitting at all or rust, all looks in pretty good condition really :) and i forgot to do the sound check after being quite cuffed with the condition of the barrels :icon_redface: tbh its just something that was said in passing when talking about the gun and being a newbie and my first o/u i like to double check and tbh I couldnt be happier with the response ive got and the amount of time it took to get the first orignal post. I really do appriecate it guys and gals (if any ;) )

Thanks

Rikki