FIREARMS LICENCE QUESTION

As a matter of interest i have noticed on my firearms licence that i have a slot for a 22 rifle.does this mean it could be 22 lr ,wmr ,hornet etc that could be bought.any views or practical experience of this would be helpful.thanks.

• Like 1

There was a thread not long ago someone had the same issue...

I think It was agreed that you or an RFD wouldn't be breaking the law by buying any .22 rifle, be it a lr or hornet.

Having said that, you don't want to piss off your licensing department or make them think you're the sort who tries every trick in the book, but it's up toyou what you do with that.

Personally I'd call them and ask to clarify

• Like 1

If you were to buy a .22 lr or hornet etc you would have nothing to fire in it because you also need ammunition allowance on your ticket to purchase any ammunition for said rifle,I dont think an rfd would sell you any rifle without clarification from your feo as to the type you are allowed to aquire....

There was a thread not long ago someone had the same issue...

I think It was agreed that you or an RFD wouldn't be breaking the law by buying any .22 rifle, be it a lr or hornet.

Having said that, you don't want to piss off your licensing department or make them think you're the sort who tries every trick in the book, but it's up toyou what you do with that.

Personally I'd call them and ask to clarify

I think that was my thread, as my ticket just says .22 rifle it makes no mention of rimfire etc. I ended up asking the Licensing Dept and they told me it was only a standard .22, what ever a standard .22 is.....but definitely not a magnum or centre fire. I think the problem is a lot of the staff who work in these departments don't actually have the first clue about calibres and case types.

Edited by Simonrees

If you were to buy a .22 lr or hornet etc you would have nothing to fire in it because you also need ammunition allowance on your ticket to purchase any ammunition for said rifle,I dont think an rfd would sell you any rifle without clarification from your feo as to the type you are allowed to aquire....

This isn't strictly true, my ticket says .22 rifle and .22 ammunition. 1 RFD was happy to sell me a .22 magnum rifle on the basis that they had not specified a case type only a calibre.

This isn't strictly true, my ticket says .22 rifle and .22 ammunition. 1 RFD was happy to sell me a .22 magnum rifle on the basis that they had not specified a case type only a calibre.

Hi mate ,the OP did not mention anything about having an allowance for ammunition.... :hmm:

Hi mate ,the OP did not mention anything about having an allowance for ammunition.... :hmm:

I think we can take it for granted that if he has a slot for a .22 then he also has an allowance for ammunition. I think the issue was they haven't clarified on his ticket which case type, hence his question.

The max allowance of 22 ammunition is 500 on my licence.i will contact the firearms licensing department to clarify if it is restricted to 22 lr .if not then i will look around ,and ask on here for a possible good alternative .thanks for your replies .

The max allowance of 22 ammunition is 500 on my licence.i will contact the firearms licensing department to clarify if it is restricted to 22 lr .if not then i will look around ,and ask on here for a possible good alternative .thanks for your replies .

Good luck, but I think they will say you are limited to a .22lr Rimfire. They deem WMR and CF as a totally different rounds and you would need a variation to have them on your ticket. I think the home office guide lines state that you only need to apply for a specific calibre but this opens up all sorts of problems because there are lots of rounds that fire a .22 bullet but there is a huge difference between a .22rf and a .223 for example yet they are both the same calibre.

I think we can take it for granted that if he has a slot for a .22 then he also has an allowance for ammunition. I think the issue was they haven't clarified on his ticket which case type, hence his question.

I would take nothing for granted where the feo's are concerned buddy,my mate applied for a variation for a 243 and his ticket came back with no ammunition allowance..He did eventually get it sorted bout it took a few more weeks.

what did you ask for when you applied for your ticket mate ?

• 4 months later...

Would be interested to know the outcome for this topic as Ive just got my papers through today and it just says .22 RF. I will take it that it was intended to be the .22 RimFire LR but would be interested to know if it would cover the .22 WMR as well.

As a matter of interest i have noticed on my firearms licence that i have a slot for a 22 rifle.does this mean it could be 22 lr ,wmr ,hornet etc that could be bought.any views or practical experience of this would be helpful.thanks.

as far as i,m aware if youve been granted a .22 rifle that is the .22 range across the board (basicly meaning the size of calibre you are allowed) usually on the first grant or if you have land restrictions

Hi

Been here and questioned it with the feo a few year ago,my first ticket came back with 22 with lr wrote at the side of it and cf wrote on it along with the other calibres I had asked for .on renewal it came back and the rimmy just said 22 rifle no mention of Rimfire or LR.i knew wat it meant but to a new shooter the wording causes this kind of questions.i guess that if someone managed to get a shop to sell them a hornet or a wmr or a 22-250 or anything within the ".22" range of calibres along with ammo I bet they would be in the deep brown stuff if all they had asked for and discussed either on first app interview or by variation letter with their feo was a 22 rimmy,I asked my feo out of curiosity if it just said .22 does it give a choice of .22's the answer was as expected a bit fat no,I explained how confusing this could be to People,she said a person knows what they are asking for so stick to it no matter wat the wording said,also said if a rfd knows his job it won't happen,there is many issues with wording on certificates as we know but at the end of the day if anyone uses this to try and get something they shouldn't have they won't have a cert for long when the feo finds out,someone ring a feo and put up the reply I'd like to hear what another county has to say on the matter,just be sensible

Atb