small types bushing

Guest long-tail

My half x bitch is just under 23tts and shes pulled bunnies out the cover on many occassions and if she see something in the cover she marks it like a stone even giving out a bark to let the other dogs and me know shes found something :thumbs:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think mooching about is my fav aspect of working the dogs,   Turning into a great wee bushing/mooching dog, 16 mths, nose like a bloodhound and bright      

small types can take to bushing as well as any terrier,or can they?got a good nose on them and they can,got a little bitch just over 20tts which at 8 months will go into cover like a terrier and catch

Bit off track, but one of the best dogs ive had for working cover was my little border collie bitch......(a rescue dog), she was only small, but obviously bigger than all the jack russells ive worke

I think mooching about is my fav aspect of working the dogs,

Turning into a great wee bushing/mooching dog, 16 mths, nose like a bloodhound and bright :thumbs:

Aprilmooch008.jpg

Aprilmooch012.jpg

Aprilmooch014.jpg

yes mate certainly winning me over mooching about,nice little bitch you got mines only just switched on last month as to whats going on :thumbs:

plenty time mate, mines never really started to show potential at the bushing untill she was over a year :thumbs:

its funny how they start coming on when they getting out seeing a bit see the change in them over night almost :thumbs:

I reckon its to do with the time of year as well mate, all the daytime walking :thumbs:

i was wanting to get the use out of my mongrel staffie x for a bit of bushing,poacher 31537465 what ever the number is :laugh: (del)suggested getting them out early, ground holding scent better and it worked so to with this little bitch :thumbs:

aye certainly not a boring time of the year, been a few early morning mooches myself :thumbs:

inahole011.jpg

inahole005.jpg

ROEdeer002.jpg

• Like 1

Bit off track, but one of the best dogs ive had for working cover was my little border collie bitch......(a rescue dog), she was only small, but obviously bigger than all the jack russells ive worked. An amazing little grafter, amazed me how she managed to work the tight cover more successfully than the jacks. If she knew there was something in certain bushes, she sort of knew which way to hit the bush to push the rabbit out in her favour. I used to lamp her as well..had some fun sport.

She's the little collie in the pic, i really miss my old rabbiting team.

IMG_4842.jpg

• Like 4

Long-tail - i know you weren't saying that mate, it was just a general comment, when discussing cover dogs, that folk often say that their lurchers etc will work cover as well as any spaniel or terrier, when the simple fact is they will not, mainly just due to build, size etc. However there are definatly some runners that are great cover hunters and work scents and the terrain really well, and other that couldnt find a bunny in a phone box.

The best combination i think is a good cover working runner, a dedicated cover dog, and then possibly a runner that hangs back around you, as they can often spot the sneaky one creeping out, when the others are fixated by the cover / scent.

• Like 1
Guest long-tail

Bit off track, but one of the best dogs ive had for working cover was my little border collie bitch......(a rescue dog), she was only small, but obviously bigger than all the jack russells ive worked. An amazing little grafter, amazed me how she managed to work the tight cover more successfully than the jacks. If she knew there was something in certain bushes, she sort of knew which way to hit the bush to push the rabbit out in her favour. I used to lamp her as well..had some fun sport.

She's the little collie in the pic, i really miss my old rabbiting team.

IMG_4842.jpg

lot to be said for making the use of a dog owned,purpose bred worker or rescue what ever,good pic :thumbs:

took this lad on and decided to get him out for a bit of bushing took to it well never going to catch in cover but if its in there he shift it

walk1.jpg

Guest long-tail

Long-tail - i know you weren't saying that mate, it was just a general comment, when discussing cover dogs, that folk often say that their lurchers etc will work cover as well as any spaniel or terrier, when the simple fact is they will not, mainly just due to build, size etc. However there are definatly some runners that are great cover hunters and work scents and the terrain really well, and other that couldnt find a bunny in a phone box.

The best combination i think is a good cover working runner, a dedicated cover dog, and then possibly a runner that hangs back around you, as they can often spot the sneaky one creeping out, when the others are fixated by the cover / scent.

the way i worded it i half expected someone wanting to match me with their terrier :laugh: i think your bang on with that combination :thumbs:

After seeing my mates springer/whippet i would have one for mouching about though further down the line hes on about putting a ped whippet to it though wat might be gained in speed might come at a cost to its other atributes.

Guest long-tail

After seeing my mates springer/whippet i would have one for mouching about though further down the line hes on about putting a ped whippet to it though wat might be gained in speed might come at a cost to its other atributes.

like what for example?cheers Edited by long-tail

like what for example?cheers

Like how it will face thick cover.

I think whippet has a lot to add to any breeding of small cover working lurchers, from what i have seen, the right ones have brilliant noses, and are very terrier like with their work ethic etc.

I'm thinking forward a couple of years about breeding from my lad . . . .and whether i would breed up in size etc, looking to make a pure runner, or breed towards a good little cover working / bushing tyke. . . .

Had all kinds of thoughs, including a pure collie.

my sort of work this out every day for a few hours my mate as a bull x whippet x beddy and it will go in any sort of cover and work it fast pushed all sorts out with it my own 3/4 whippet beddy marks and will go in if pushed but it likes waiting for the bolt great way to spend a few hours out same dogs work the lamp and do not work on straight back when lamps off always liked a dog that can do both day and night atb troter

I think whippet has a lot to add to any breeding of small cover working lurchers, from what i have seen, the right ones have brilliant noses, and are very terrier like with their work ethic etc.

I'm thinking forward a couple of years about breeding from my lad . . . .and whether i would breed up in size etc, looking to make a pure runner, or breed towards a good little cover working / bushing tyke. . . .

Had all kinds of thoughs, including a pure collie.

I loved working collies for daytime rabbiting, but i would be very careful about the one i picked,all mine have been from working stock, but some just have that little something that shines above the rest. If you have plenty of game around then i dont think you would have too much of a problem, but where i work my dogs there isnt that much about and thats when you can really tell the difference between the workers that get distracted and find something else to do as apposed to the ones that live for finding that elusive scent. Its really strange, but they do from my experience fall in to one category or the other unike whippets for example which are happy just to look for a scent no matter what. It can be very frustrating when you know your dogs got it in it to hunt but will to choose to bring you a stick instead.

My bedlington/whippet first cross is just a small one at just over 18", has a good broken coat, will go into any cover. Could do with it holding back a little and letting the terrier flush them but is in before the terrier most of the time. Catches most of the rabbits on the lamp at the dyke, sharp turning or ploughs into the dyke after them and usually gets them or brings them back out into the field and catches them. Cant fault the effort it puts in, also a good ferreting dog good marker and starting to catch a few that miss nets, just had 1 full ferreting season so should progress alot yet. Was usually out 2 or 3 days ferreting a week and a night on lamp so had a fair bit of time on the job for first season. Never gave it a lot of runs on lamp in a night as was just young but will step it up a bit this season. I would have liked it to have turned out a couple of inches bigger but was not to be but i could not be happier otherwise.

skipton005.jpg

My bitch.

About 35 years ago i used to go out with a friend and his daytime rabbit dogs, that is all he did ratch dykes/cover for rabbits and the odd hare (no ferreting or lamping). He had a lurcher about 23" a whippet/greyhound and a cocker/whippet ratching dog that looked like a brindle patterdale terrier about 16", never seen a better dog to ratch and catch in cover than this it was as hard as nails and would go all day. They worked as a team and was a pleasure to see them work, 3 of the best dogs i have seen and to have them at the same time was very lucky.

Edited by lifelong cumbrian
  • Like 2