I posted this in the pest control section with no replies, hoping it does better here, I want to make myself a wood pigeon trap, with the treadle system, anybody got any ideas how to make these? Maybe have plans, pictures or experience in making them.

Thanks.

i do have an air rifle, get plenty of shooting done too, just interested in using a trap for local places that don't have too many pigeons. just been looking at the catapults.....look like a lot of fun! :thumbs:

how would you bait wild wood pigeons ?

i cant work ouit how it can be done ?

i would think you wopuld do better with lamp and noose in the way birds of prey and phesants where taken in years gon by !

take them straight out of the roost or nest .

If you keep sprinkling wheat down in a wood the pigeons soon twig on that its there, I think its been banned now though as lads were doing it for the roost shooting round here and were putting down a ton or two a week in one wood but apparently they can't anymore. They fecked the whole area up for everybody else who was sat every sat afternoon waiting in their woods while these lads had bladdered 300 in the morning then gone so the pigeons could settle back in the wood.

i would think you wopuld do better with lamp and noose in the way birds of prey and phesants where taken in years gon by !

:laugh:

post-896-0-24832000-1336244765.jpg

• Like 1

if you take a look at this link. i was thinking something a lot like this? would bait as said by gnipper, with some wheat.

protrapper-video-woodpigeon.php

If you keep sprinkling wheat down in a wood the pigeons soon twig on that its there, I think its been banned now though as lads were doing it for the roost shooting round here and were putting down a ton or two a week in one wood but apparently they can't anymore. They fecked the whole area up for everybody else who was sat every sat afternoon waiting in their woods while these lads had bladdered 300 in the morning then gone so the pigeons could settle back in the wood.

wasn't intending on anything of this scale, but could imagine the effect it would have on everyone else's shoots! would be using some grain like you said to bait the area where the traps set. love the look of your terrier! what area are you in?

• 2 weeks later...

easiest way i found to trap pigeons, was to use a big cage, a walk in one, almost like a small aviary, with a section with bob wires to allow entry but no exit, i just placed any thing the pigeons were eating in it an left it open for a days before setting it, i had well over 100 ferals in a week out 1 barn :thumbs:

never tried it with woodies tho, they jumpy birds at best of times

:laugh:

:) :) :) :) :)