First Lesson Learnt

Don't want to put a dampner on this in anyway as the man likes been said has got the bug but anyone think the dog may have jacked?,the fox was not seen going away and the terrier didn't want to re enter after the going got tougher with him getting closer.Just asking and not pulling the dog no way but seeing as this chap doesn't know,this is also the ways of a jacking terrier is it not?. :hmm: .

Did enjoy the read myself and i hope it hasn't but it needs descussing does it not?.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been into hunting since i was eight years old and have ever since got more and more interested into different types of hunting/shooting i.e got my first terrier at 10 years old, a whippet, ferr

you dont need a hard dog for digging just a dog that will stay till dug

well said brog too be honest a proper hard dog is limited give me a steady sounder that holds his ground and stays like the mother in law any day of the week this type is the one that is most difficul

because its a young dog fireman it gets the benifit of the doubt these are the lessons that shape every terrier they have too learn there trade same as everything else we once entered a very experienced bitch she was on in seconds was a 3 holed earth she was settled started too dig on break through big move bitch showed and was caught tried her back would nt go we were puzzled i said let her do her own thing dropped bitch she ran the hedge and re entered a diff earth sure enough our friend had bolted and went back to ground it was only then that we relised why the lurcher had took off even tho we d seen nothing always trust the dog as it s the one that really knows what happens under ground not us know alls standing on top of the ground

• Like 1

Very true mate and have not ment to pull the dog in any way,no point in pushing them down and trying to force it as if it's in them they will go for sure and letting them do their thing is really the only way to go as like you say there the ones that know and were just there for the digging bit at times :thumbs: .

Whippeter69 that was a nice read and as for you making a mistake by diging too early,i would,nt call it a mistake you were just too eager to get to your terrier.We all make mistakes while out on a dig even now after a good many years diging i myself still do,only this season gone i let a terrier to ground without puting its collar on through lack of consentration and talking shite with my diging mate,luckily the dog in question is of the sounding type and the earth was not deep,since that morn i stick a collar on from the minute they leave the dog box,atb with your terrier and your sport.FM.

Whippeter69 that was a nice read and as for you making a mistake by diging too early,i would,nt call it a mistake you were just too eager to get to your terrier.We all make mistakes while out on a dig even now after a good many years diging i myself still do,only this season gone i let a terrier to ground without puting its collar on through lack of consentration and talking shite with my diging mate,luckily the dog in question is of the sounding type and the earth was not deep,since that morn i stick a collar on from the minute they leave the dog box,atb with your terrier and your sport.FM.

Went for a stroll thursday night with pups young b and T pup went to ground on quarry without collar at half eight rang the misses to bring out the spade and bar,dug him out in one hour up very close and getting personal.He is eight months old his second time to do this.Not bad Donie.

Liam you will spoil him yet,keep him on a lead if you know that there is game about.He is showing great promise,has the red pup done anything yet,ive had there sister out on the bog just exercising but she is turning out a nice handy bitch,nice size not too big considering they are quarter bull,then lugs not a big dog either.

remember mate hard dog for digging ,and a yapper for bolting, good write up but just be carefull what your writeing as said :victory:

you dont need a hard dog for digging just a dog that will stay till dug :thumbs:

thats what i mean by a hard dog , it doesnt gives its quarry an inch :victory:

saying you need a hard dog to someone just getting in to the game just gives the wrong impression :thumbs: a yapper could be the best dog you could ever own

well thats up to you mate if you want to be digging all about the place and being messed about by a dog getting pushed about everywhere thats up to you . if your bolting for hounds a nice little russel which does get pushed about is ideal with a nice tongue. if you want to dig and i mean dig i prefer something hard what will hold it . especially when its deep marks , a dog what dont hold is own when digging is fooking annoying :yes:

Liam you will spoil him yet,keep him on a lead if you know that there is game about.He is showing great promise,has the red pup done anything yet,ive had there sister out on the bog just exercising but she is turning out a nice handy bitch,nice size not too big considering they are quarter bull,then lugs not a big dog either.

Never seen a hole there before Donie,he is two young for it,the bitch is getting very strong,not high but blocky,She tried to follow him to ground when she heard the racket but i grabbed her.Next year will tell a lot.How is Lugs keeping?

remember mate hard dog for digging ,and a yapper for bolting, good write up but just be carefull what your writeing as said :victory:

you dont need a hard dog for digging just a dog that will stay till dug :thumbs:

saying you need a hard dog to someone just getting in to the game just gives the wrong impression :thumbs: a yapper could be the best dog you could ever own

well thats up to you mate if you want to be digging all about the place and being messed about by a dog getting pushed about everywhere thats up to you . if your bolting for hounds a nice little russel which does get pushed about is ideal with a nice tongue. if you want to dig and i mean dig i prefer something hard what will hold it . especially when its deep marks , a dog what dont hold is own when digging is fooking annoying :yes:

because its a bayer it will get pushed around then :whistling:

grow up pal you know the crack ;)

i dont think i do no the crack i think i may need some [hard] dogs and start to do some real digging like you :thumbs: cheers for the advise :bye:

i dont think i do no the crack i think i may need some [hard] dogs and start to do some real digging like you :thumbs: cheers for the advise :bye:

i tell you what brog dont make me out to be some thing im not. may be i will re phrase my meaning of hard . by hard im refering to a dog that doesnt get pushed about which will be better for the lad if he likes his digging. where did i say a hard dog doesnt bay. ive read your topics and i know you do alot of digging and its easy to try and put people down on the internet. youve probably done more than me with terriers, i aint got nothing decent any way. its common sense , if the lad wants to be digging i advised the lad to get a dog that holds them in , maybe i shouldnt of put hard i do apologise. and for bolting a dog what does get pushed about. what is it with terrier men , they all got to have the best dogs , done the most digging.(i just read my post and when i refer to "holds them in" that could be baying or what ever your dogs do as long as it keeps them at a stop end)

jesus you have to be word perfect on the internet

• Like 1