try to get it to work of the slip (no lead), most bullxs will pull when they see quarry, you wont stop that. All the bullxs that i had all would walk on the lead great didnt pull when out on a dog walk. But you go lamping differnt story pull your feckin arm off when they see quarry in the beam. So thats what did get them walk by you when looking for game, and when see quarry hold dog then slip and the pulling will only be for a few sec 's then, better than having it all night :yes:

If its just walking, yank the f****r back..constantly ,when u feel the lead go a little bit tight pull it back..when u see quarry I think its acceptable myself..u can't want a dog to get something..and then expect it not to pull and try and get at it..although there will be people who beg to differ

Try this , get the dog on the lead walk in a straight line with the dog a couple of meters change direction at 180 degrees suddenly and firmly I mean take him off the floor if you have to the change of direction in the opposite direction has to be imidiate the dog will learn to be concentrating on you and not taking the piss and pulling repeat this untill he stops when he does stop keep walking giving him gentle praise this will work I promise you if your not strong enough let a mate who is do it it's always worked for me and if done correctly will work ps when changing direction do not tell the dog what your doing he will walk well after doing this exercise for a few days hope this helps atb donk

• Like 1

What Donk says does work, but you need to be constantly aware of what is happening, and be really quick to spin around and change direction the moment the dog tightens the lead: that is is the hard part: noticing the second it does it. Most people are so used to their dogs pulling that they don't realise until the dog's been doing it for a moment or two, which is enough time to undo the good work you've started. Your focus needs to be 100% on the dog and nothing else. It's not a quick fix either: it may take several weeks of absolute concentration and work for the dog to change its ways.

The other way might be to carry an object which you've taught the dog to play with. A small tug toy, which you carry in the hand not holding the lead. You teach the dog tug games, then carry the toy in your hand as you walk. When the dog pulls on the lead you just attract its attention to your hand and the toy, so the dog is then focusing on your hand instead of pulling forward. This won't turn the dog into an obedience critter, like the ones you see with their heads wrapped round their owner's legs, but it will remind the dog that you are there, on the end of the lead.

Any tip only works if it is just you and the dog out alone: if the dog is constantly competing with another dog, trying to get in front, it will continue to pull, no matter what. And some types of dogs do just want to forge ahead: high drive dogs in particular. My Airedale pulls all the time on the lead, she is resisting me because she wants to get on and hunt. Off the lead she walks beautifully to heel but only once she's had a good spin round: most dogs pull because of pent up energy which needs to be released: they pull because they can use more energy by pulling than by just walking by your side: it is a satisfying thing for them to do. Try wearing the dog out early on in the walk: ball games etc.